EPIC WIN - Hardware

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cruonit

EPIC WIN - Hardware

Post by cruonit »

At our faculty we have a room with old PC for operating system experiments. I tried different branded PCs(acer,hp,fujit-siemens, compaq, imb) My results:

fujitsu siemens P4
[ external image ]

IBM NetVista 1
[ external image ]

Compaq - only 16 bit graphics was supported !!!
[ external image ]

HP
[ external image ]

FAIL PART:

IBM NetVista 2 different model i think it's newer - P4
[ external image ]

ACER AcerPower F1 - P4
[ external image ]

IBM ThinCenter some model - P4
[ external image ]

so the ratio is 4 works 3 don't :)

Re: EPIC WIN - Hardware

Post by 00010 »

This is exactly what I was talking about in my recent post, any way you can see what mainboards are in the more generic pcs?

or maby post a device manager screenshot from within windows?

Keep it up!

cruonit

Post by cruonit »

00010 wrote:This is exactly what I was talking about in my recent post, any way you can see what mainboards are in the more generic pcs?

or maby post a device manager screenshot from within windows?

Keep it up!

When i find time i will try to do a debug via serial port but if this is not very important for ROS i will skip it(i am very limited with time). We have for shure 15 different PC models from old till new.

Post by 00010 »

Sounds good. I was thinking that if we can get some specific model numbers and make and model number from the "Device Manager" in Windows list, then others can find the same or similar hardware to run ReactOS on for testing, I am especially interested in hardware testing, since this is the real goal of an OS, to run natively on real hardware.

livestrong2109

Post by livestrong2109 »

Any chance of ROS running on an Via C7 with Chrome 9. I've got some 1.6ghz laptops and a ITX board that I could give it a spin on. But even windows hates this thing. I'll give em a spin and post later this week.
Wesley Howard
ROS Contributor - Web Developer
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Did you try with ReactOS 0.3.14 or the daily/latest one?
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

vicmarcal wrote:Did you try with ReactOS 0.3.14 or the daily/latest one?
i used todays trunk build - livecd
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Oh damn!
Hehe..well..3 is not bad :)
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

Getting it to work on all these machines would be a nice start for the coordinated hardware testing idea from that other thread.

Post by 00010 »

I was thinking a list of working mainboards with a description of what works and what does not work, then a page could be made and maintained for recommended hardware for testing, with comments of-course. Then each motherboard could be described in detail about what chipset and graphics and other devices it uses. An "H.C.L" or "Hardware Compatibility List" if you would.

cruonit

Post by cruonit »

A compatibility database could be made but i think it makes more sense to make an uncompatibility database than a compatibility one because there are too many different components out there.
reason: For the end users it's a problem to look at the mainboard models or the components model number

so the database makes only sense if it's going to be a brand PC/laptop database (in the same room there where 2-3 different PC that where not branded so i didn't test them .. makes no sense for now)
fred02

Post by fred02 »

cruonit wrote: When i find time i will try to do a debug via serial port but if this is not very important for ROS i will skip it(i am very limited with time).
My understanding is that such debug info is very important, pity that your time is limited, because 15 PC to test on is a pretty good start.
cruonit wrote:A compatibility database could be made but i think it makes more sense to make an uncompatibility database than a compatibility one because there are too many different components out there.
reason: For the end users it's a problem to look at the mainboard models or the components model number

so the database makes only sense if it's going to be a brand PC/laptop database (in the same room there where 2-3 different PC that where not branded so i didn't test them .. makes no sense for now)
You see the glass half-empty. :D
reason: There is probably tens of thousands different individual hardware pieces, so the database can not list them all. While there is only dozens that ROS can run on right now.

P.S. The easiest way to get hardware information would be to boot some Linux live CD and dump the dmesg.

Post by 00010 »

I think that dmesg would be a good start also. But the brand of the PC has nothing to do with it, sometimes even the same model PC will have different revisions of components, specifics are necessary. I know there are thousands of different hardware components but documenting what works and what does not, is a start, no one said we need to document every component in existence, thats just impractical.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

What about creating an app that can be downloaded from ReactOS Apps Manager, that could be run inside ReactOS, and that sends to a server the Specs of the hardware?
Just an idea
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

vicmarcal wrote:What about creating an app that can be downloaded from ReactOS Apps Manager, that could be run inside ReactOS, and that sends to a server the Specs of the hardware?
Just an idea
+1