Google Summer of Code 2013

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

cruonit

Re: Google Sommer of Code 2013

Post by cruonit »

I agree the ARM port would be very very interesting. One of the best things is the XDA-developers community that has great developers experienced in kernel and driver fitting just waiting for a new task (the other users usually donate for ports and stuff that atracted very skilled developers - so devs get paid to port things like reactos).
I followed the HD2 community for a long time and there where many skilled developers.

If we could just give them something to start with(reactos that boots) - they would do the rest(loaders, porting to devices, drivers ect.)
Just make reactos work on a galaxy model or nexus(even HD2 that's the ultimate hacker phone everithing works on him even windows phone 8!) and just watch it growing.

Theoretically most of reactos could be recompiled for ARM but there is still ASM code in ros, there is also wine for ARM.
http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/02/03/w ... n-android/

wine on android is long in development but looks like they are getting some concrete results
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

cruonit wrote:even HD2 that's the ultimate hacker phone everithing works on him even windows phone 8!
That the HD2 can even run Windows RT is in my opinion the more impressive thing (though I have to admit, since Windows Phone 8 is based on NT as well it was only a matter of time... :mrgreen: ).

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

https://twitter.com/CotullaCode

that guy is for me one of the gratest kernel "hackers" ever, he developed / crecked almost all the crucial things for the most "hackable" phone ever(he made it) - HTC HD2 originaly WiMo 6 phone. (including bootloader, linux, android, win phone8, ect....)

[ external image ]
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

cruonit wrote:https://twitter.com/CotullaCode

that guy is for me one of the gratest kernel "hackers" ever, he developed / crecked almost all the crucial things for the most "hackable" phone ever(he made it) - HTC HD2 originaly WiMo 6 phone. (including bootloader, linux, android, win phone8, ect....)

[ external image ]
he was it who brought wm6 to my old HTC Magician
AmineKhaldi
Developer

Post by AmineKhaldi »

cruonit wrote:Does anybody has a clue where we failed? Is there any way to contact G, show them the progress ect. or just get a short comment.
They organize a meeting for the projects that weren't selected, to explain themselves. I was invited to that meeting, and Carol Smith (the GSoC project Admin) explained to me that they liked our application and ideas list very much, and that we did absolutely nothing wrong, we just got unlucky because they wanted to accept more fresh/new projects than the returning ones, so it had nothing to do with ReactOS per se (according to her). She also suggested that we would apply next year, which we plan to do obviously ;)

The thing is, even though our ideas list is excellent and we will do a good work on the application (just like the previous two years) we still need to figure out who is planning to mentor, and what projects have mentors ready for them. We also need to add more ideas is possible.

Please suggest as many ideas as you can, while considering the timeframe and the scope of GSoC (for example the idea of fixing mm or cc is far from reasonable because I doubt any student would pull that off in such a relatively short period of time as you can see).
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

EFI/UEFI support would be nice as far as i see winRT works on hd2 because of that but that was already planed
fred02

Post by fred02 »

AmineKhaldi wrote:Please suggest as many ideas as you can, while considering the timeframe and the scope of GSoC
Are you asking other developers or the community? Because I doubt we have the competence to estimate the the amount of work that a project may take. Unless you want a brainstorming and then have the best suggestions selected by the developers.
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

cruonit wrote:EFI/UEFI support would be nice as far as i see winRT works on hd2 because of that but that was already planed
For the HD2 basically a "UEFI emulator" had to be written, because Windows RT only supports booting through UEFI and as the source of that boot loader is not freely available the underlying boot mechanism had to be emulated. If we would want to boot ReactOS on the HD2 we could "simply" adjust FreeLdr to boot directly from the HD2's platform (FreeLdr already contains a few adjustments for ARM boot from the time the ARM devs worked on ReactOS).

Regards,
Sven
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

but would be better to use a second stage bootloader - easier to develop, but HD2 is indestructible when it comes to firmware updates.

How far has the ARM port come? I think it doesn't boot in the emulator and where has it stop ?
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

AmineKhaldi wrote:I was invited to that meeting, and Carol Smith (the GSoC project Admin) explained to me that they liked our application and ideas list very much, and that we did absolutely nothing wrong, we just got unlucky because they wanted to accept more fresh/new projects than the returning ones, so it had nothing to do with ReactOS per se (according to her).
Mm-hm, and yet Haiku gets picked every single year and also gets a 5000$ donation from Google outside of their GSoC program. It's pretty clear they favor some projects over others and that their choice has less to do with the project's "freshness". I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the same kind of excuse this year too.
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

Pesho wrote:
AmineKhaldi wrote:I was invited to that meeting, and Carol Smith (the GSoC project Admin) explained to me that they liked our application and ideas list very much, and that we did absolutely nothing wrong, we just got unlucky because they wanted to accept more fresh/new projects than the returning ones, so it had nothing to do with ReactOS per se (according to her).
Mm-hm, and yet Haiku gets picked every single year and also gets a 5000$ donation from Google outside of their GSoC program. It's pretty clear they favor some projects over others and that their choice has less to do with the project's "freshness". I wouldn't be surprised if they pull the same kind of excuse this year too.
had exactly the same in mind but didn't wanted to say that - to spread negative things, haiku(is still young - first alfa in 2009) is a nice project and they have always be friendly and lets hope we can get something from that(code).
But there are many more examples starting with wine that's in the same position as ReactOS.

But lets be optimistic, google is a private company and they can do whatever they want but still i think it's better to support two project in two different organizations that four in one.
Pesho

Post by Pesho »

The Haiku team are friendly and it was thanks to them that we got some USB support, so i don't want my post to sound like it's directed to them. Rather, it's that we shouldn't kid ourselves because Google's bias is obvious. I definitely don't like this "trickle-down" situation where all we can do is hope some improvements to Haiku make it into ROS somehow, but i suppose it's better than nothing.
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

cruonit wrote:but would be better to use a second stage bootloader - easier to develop, but HD2 is indestructible when it comes to firmware updates.
But we wouldn't need to implement UEFI support for that. Just support for the normal bootloader that the HD2 uses (or alternatively clk and magldr).
How far has the ARM port come? I think it doesn't boot in the emulator and where has it stop ?
Here is a video from December 2010 where the ROS ARM group started to boot ReactOS on a ARM device. And in this mail they mention that they got the bootloader (FreeLdr) working on the iPhone (this was in June 2012).

Regards,
Sven
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

PascalDragon wrote:
cruonit wrote:but would be better to use a second stage bootloader - easier to develop, but HD2 is indestructible when it comes to firmware updates.
But we wouldn't need to implement UEFI support for that. Just support for the normal bootloader that the HD2 uses (or alternatively clk and magldr).
Here is a video from December 2010 where the ROS ARM group started to boot ReactOS on a ARM device. And in this mail they mention that they got the bootloader (FreeLdr) working on the iPhone (this was in June 2012).

Regards,
Sven
i know that but i am still interested where it stoped.. a ugly bug, leak of time, reimplementation of some part, ...

it's enough to run it inside an emu the phone devss will do the rest
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

cruonit wrote:
PascalDragon wrote:
cruonit wrote:How far has the ARM port come? I think it doesn't boot in the emulator and where has it stop ?
i know that but i am still interested where it stoped.. a ugly bug, leak of time, reimplementation of some part, ...

it's enough to run it inside an emu the phone devss will do the rest
Many of the integral OS parts are still missing the most important being exception handling. I know at least that in usermode the exception handling on ARM is implemented by handler sections in the executable file, but I don't know whether kernel mode uses the same scheme or one that is more like the x86 SEH... (the same problem exists on x86_64 by the way) If kernel mode uses the same exception handling scheme as usermode than support for this is currently completely missing from ReactOS (at least if no one started exception handling support for x86_64...). Also the drivers for ARM's interfaces and those for the board components (at least the most important ones like framebuffer and touch input) need to be written. And yes, all this is also true if one "only" wants to run it on an emulator...

Regards,
Sven