[Official]Testing request to the ReactOS Community

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aeneas

Re: [Official]Testing request to the ReactOS Community

Post by Aeneas »

By the way, I tried also two versions of netcat, once some "old-fashioned" one (connects to my linux machine, but immediately drops the connection) and the ncat one from nmap.org which gives me some sort of error like "WSATYPE_NOT_FOUND". (The Nmap Zenmap GUI by the way is a big grey window. This thing "installs, but does not run" in a useable form.)

I was hoping to be able to remote control ReactOS through some ... "black screen with white letters"-type of setup. Any chance for that? I mean, e.g. an SSH-server, or a telnet daemon, or a netcat contact (apparently fails)... Surely there is SOMETHING?
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

I just tried Java.

Most recent version:

I can get the "software downloader" from Oracle, once I try to install java with it, however, it fails... it tells that some dll is corrupt and all in all I have the impression that it does not complete its download. Yes, I have internet connectivity from within ReactOS.

Version 6 update 27:

Got this one from an "old apps" site. When I run a jar (in this case: netcat.jar and jscheme-7.2.jar), at first it works, but then it crashes with a message "fatal error: Could not disable polling page".

BOTH versions show a rather garbled screen when installing: it looks as if the script is something like wingdings, but with more boxes. However, 6u27 installs successfully (so we are in "installs but does not run" land).

By the way, another bug in cmd.exe: I can apparently get the previous command with up-arrow, but sometimes the screen stays black. Pressing spacebar to add a space at the end of the command then shows it. Moreover, apparently, I can "cycle through" the commands in cmd: i.e., when you get the last one, it jumps over to the first one, i.e. you cannot just "press down arrow long enough" to get the last command; don't know whether this is intended.

Edit: Java 1.4.2 was the most successful so far - it opened jscheme-7.2.jar, but then crashes as soon as you press Enter with an error about some unknown memory location.
milon

Post by milon »

It looks like the only regression for the Golden Apps is Notepad Lite. Has anyone made any progress on determining which release introduced the regression? I may have time tomorrow to investigate, so any feedback would be appreciated.

EDIT:
Aeneas wrote:This Samba-TNG thing looks a bit "linux only"... Is there anywhere a windows version?

Edit: Yupp, at least smbclient seems to work. I assume you mean: http://download.samba-tng.org/tng/snapshot/win32/
So, Samba-TNG still needs to be tested?
fulup

Post by fulup »

Already done for Notepad Lite : http://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7027, guilty rev is 57209.
Did someone try to open a .doc or type some text and save it as a file in abiword? Can't get it working.
milon

Post by milon »

Cool. Updated the Testing Central with the Notepad Lite info.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

fulup wrote:Already done for Notepad Lite : http://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-7027, guilty rev is 57209.
Did someone try to open a .doc or type some text and save it as a file in abiword? Can't get it working.
Fulup, could you test against trunk this time and report if the problem is fixed?
If not we will rise it as blocker of 0.3.15. This is a Memory issue that must be fixed asap.
Thanks.
fulup

Post by fulup »

Test of Notepad Lite done with last rev 58612, issue updated on Jira.
fulup

Post by fulup »

About my Abiword issue, I test Reactos in french language, got problem with codepage 1252, testing Reactos in english, no issue with abiword...
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Dear milon,

I do not know how to test the other stuff. I know how to use smbclient, and I confirm it operational. The daemon, on the other hand... seemed to do nothing at all. (You enter the nmbd, press Enter, and nothing happens.) Beyond that I am not sure what would be required here. The rpcclient thing etc. - I don't know how to test them. So if you wish me to test them - no problem, but tell me HOW to use them - what is the expected I/O?
milon

Post by milon »

Aeneas, I know less than you do about Samba-TNG. All I know is that Samba provides print services, and I had to use Google to confirm that. I would certainly help you out if I could, or just test it myself, but I can't do either currently. I was really just asking for clarification because I didn't know what the status was. :oops:
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Dear milon,

about printing, you know more than I do, apparently... I actually have no idea how to print with samba-tng. Where did you read how to do this? I googled, but did not find it. I AM willing to test this and extra shared my printer for this purpose (printer hanging on a Windows machine, already tested it from a Linux machine - it works).

Other than that, I have only been using Samba for file sharing between some computers at home.
fulup

Post by fulup »

Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

fulup, THANK YOU!

The first part I did try, and it worked for both get and put. So I will try the printing, too...
oswetto

Post by oswetto »

fulup, THANK YOU!

Samba-tng work!!!

ALL GOLDENAPPS are tested!!!
fulup

Post by fulup »

You're welcome,

Now let's have a look at canditate apps...