Using GO Programming Language

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ArmyMan007

Using GO Programming Language

Post by ArmyMan007 »

This is just off the top of my head: If the devs were to use Go Programming Language, would that be helpful?
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: Using GO Programming Language

Post by vicmarcal »

Just C and C++ are allowed.There wont be any Go projects going into.
This is not because stubbornish, but because Rosbe. Rosbe just accept those. :)
hto
Developer

Post by hto »

RosBE (that is, GCC) could be changed to accept Go. Not so with MSVC.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Last I checked, Go was fundamentally crippled for trying to write low level code. The inability to distinguish between a pointer and an integer variable is a pretty idiotic flaw if your language claims to provide direct memory access.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

D programming language?
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

Guys, what is so hard about accepting that ReactOS is written in C and C++? I'm a Pascal developer and use that language for everything, but do you see me complaining that ReactOS is not written in Pascal?

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

PascalDragon wrote:Guys, what is so hard about accepting that ReactOS is written in C and C++? I'm a Pascal developer and use that language for everything, but do you see me complaining that ReactOS is not written in Pascal?

Regards,
Sven
+1 Im a useless BASIC dev
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We have to stay compatible to MSVC, so there is nothing allowed except C and C++. Nothing else will be added.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

EmuandCo wrote:We have to stay compatible to MSVC, so there is nothing allowed except C and C++. Nothing else will be added.
Short and simple answer. Thanks :)
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

A good programmer needs to be multilingual. I program in BASIC, Pascal, C, C++, PHP, VBScript, JavaScript, and gobs of database query languages. Personal preference wasn't the issue. This was brought up, I assume, because Go aims to provide concurrency (to take advantage of multiple cores) and garbage collection (to help with memory leaks).

When I'm learning a new language, I often try to convert some of my existing programs to that language. Of course, if it doesn't work exactly the same as the original program, it's usually not a big deal. I don't think I would want to risk introducing bugs into a project the size of an operating system, so presumably the goal was to be able to write new files in Go rather than convert existing ones?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

As said, as long as we cant build Go Sources with MSVC, there wont be any support for it here.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald
The D programming language. Modern convenience. Modeling power. Native efficiency.
Visual D aims at providing seamless integration of the D programming language into Visual Studio.

Visual D is a Visual Studio package providing both project management and language services. It works with Visual Studio 2005, 2008, 2010 and 2012 as well as the free Visual Studio Shells. See the Installation instructions, especially if not using a commercial edition of Visual Studio.
erkinalp

Using D Programming Language

Post by erkinalp »

I agree. D is quite like C in syntax. and has many useful features as by-default initialization, GC, type tuples and contract programming.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

These suggestions have come up enough times that I have a canned response.

1) All of the fancy features that people bring up whenever they suggest another language/tool are only possible IF there is an operating system providing the underlying base. If there is no OS, there is no GC or threading support or whatever. Thus any "support" a language has for these features is irrelevant with respect to developing an OS, since they can't be used. The GC comment is especially egregious since a GC needs to sit on top of an OS' memory manager. You can't write a MM using a language that depends on a GC. Almost all of the higher level languages/etc that are brought up are meant for APPLICATION development. This project is writing an OS. The requirements for the two are vastly different and any advantage for application development is usually a disadvantage when considering OS development.

2) There is an assumption that new tools somehow mean an automatic boost in productivity. This is false due to both the reasons outlined in #1 but also because any adoption of a new tool comes with a cost. Sometimes the cost is worth it, as we are seeing in migrating to CMake and ninja (which took upwards of a year to pull off for CMake, I might add). Other times there is no conceivable benefit. But the automatic assumption when considering a new tool is there will be a cost. To argue convincingly that the cost is worth it requires one to actually think about what the cost will be, not just focus on the presumed benefits. Sometimes it is also a good idea to think carefully about whether the benefits exist at all.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Unlike Java, in D pointers are still there and garbage collection is optional, that is, you still have option to turn of garbage collector and use C style allocation, and D can make use of C libraries via linkage.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2