My two cents on priorities

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: My two cents on priorities

Post by Z98 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:37 pm

Or we could just use Mono as is and let them worry about developing it.

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:06 pm

erkinalp wrote:
maybe but it would be cool to run c# console applications on a server in the .net runtime(not mono !)
Just impossible not due to licensing but due to lack of public documentation of complete C# API(besides CLR).
I interpreted it as running .NET framework, not implementing it within ReactOS.
erkinalp wrote:We can fork Mono and name it ROS.org MF-OSP(Managed Frameworks-Open Source Platform).
Overforking and overfragmenting are diseases. There are good and bad reasons to fork something, and forking because of the name is not a good one.

swight

Post by swight » Sat Jul 06, 2013 6:16 am

if I recall mono does not support WPF and has no intention of supporting it in the future. As WPF is kinda the default GUI framework for .net 3.0 and up it means mono will not support many modern .net programs. Or at least that is what I read into it. This is the main reason I would see to fork mono. or maybe make some supplemental library that could be downloaded to fill the gap for reactos/windows.

mrugiero

Post by mrugiero » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:29 am

swight wrote:if I recall mono does not support WPF and has no intention of supporting it in the future. As WPF is kinda the default GUI framework for .net 3.0 and up it means mono will not support many modern .net programs. Or at least that is what I read into it. This is the main reason I would see to fork mono. or maybe make some supplemental library that could be downloaded to fill the gap for reactos/windows.
*Just* adding features is never a reason to fork. Implementing them *and* they refusing to accept the patches might be one. But for this, you have first to propose them, or at least volunteer to implement that (having no plans doesn't mean they'll refuse help from a volunteer that is willing to do so, but that they don't plan to do so themselves), and then they must refuse.