You guys need to speed up the development of ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Linuxgamer94

Re: You guys need to speed up the development of ReactOS

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

Ok first Windows copyed Unix, with Dos. Second I am not nocking on Windows or their users so I would apeachiate the nutral respect toward the other half please. Now here is the thing React OS has a short Window. In April 2014 XP will be dead and React OS will have to aim at Vista, ugh. React OS is takint too long just like Civitas and I hate waiting. If I had money I would happly donnate it so that way React OS would get some where. Once when XP dies no knew software will run on it, meaning it will require Vista. I might like Linux, but Vista is a sexy beast with the Aero theme. What React OS needs is three things drivers, games, and a kickstarter. Yup i said kickstarter, why not if React OS has games and a big enough fan base it could happen. Just look at Amiga OS 4.2. Oh React OS should suport both Diredt X and OpenGL.
milon

Post by milon »

DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Linuxgamer94 wrote:Now here is the thing React OS has a short Window. In April 2014 XP will be dead and React OS will have to aim at Vista, ugh.
I don't know what you think is going to happen on 8 April 2014, but Windows XP won't magically stop working, and developers won't be legally required to stop writing compatible software for it. There is still regularly updated software that only requires Windows 95! When an operating system's marketshare falls below a certain level, it becomes safe to stop supporting it, but there's no requirement to do so, so if developers don't need some feature that is only available in Vista/7/8, they won't make their software require Vista/7/8. It's to their benefit to make their software available to the largest possible number of users, so they never break compatibility with an operating system unless they stand to gain more than they stand to lose by doing so. I can assure you that lots of software will continue to require no more than Windows XP for many years to come.
Last edited by DOSGuy on Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

Well... considering it by way of logic, it STILL would mean to then target a "dead" platform.

See, people still do stuff for MS-DOS, too, and yet - is it not a thoroughly dead OS? People still run RSTS/E - but is it not a dead OS?

Getting ReactOS to the poing of being able to say, "Win XP died, but we have an OS in its own right", well, THAT would be an argument. OF COURSE you will not have a 100% compatible OS, but WHO CARES if you were to get it to a _useable_stage_! ;)

Otherwise - yes, you will be targeting simply a DEAD OS. As Haiku & AROS show, that is not necessarily absurd, but you may get a serious driver problem with the time.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Historically speaking, ReactOS changes its target Windows version when it becomes necessary to do so (yes, it has happened before). With Windows XP's current market share, and the capabilities of NT 5 vs. NT 6, I suspect that most (non-Metro) software will continue to support Windows XP for some time. When that stops being the case, ReactOS will likely target NT 6, and it's not necessary that ROS reach v1.0 before that happens. Commercial products have no users until the product is finished. FOSS projects like ReactOS can be used during development, so it's no big deal if ROS is only at v0.4 or 0.5 when the target changes to NT 6.

The more mature ROS becomes, the more people will use it, whether it's at v1.0 or not. There's need to wait! If it does what you want it to do, use it now! I've been using MAME for over a decade, and it's not at v1.0. In fact, it's been decided that it will never reach v1.0! That doesn't stop millions of people from using it. It's a joking comparison because, in our case, v1.0 represents a target for stability and feature completeness, but there's no need for anyone to wait for v1.0 if it's good enough for their needs at v0.9 or even v0.3.15. Version 1.0 will be an important milestone, nothing more. Before we get there, it will have already been downloaded millions of times and used by thousands of people. It could see widespread adoption in the geek community starting at v0.5, or not until v3.1, or never. Appreciate what it can do for you right now, and do what you can to aid its development.
Linuxgamer94 wrote:Ok first Windows copyed Unix, with Dos.
Actually, DOS copied CP/M. The similarities between DOS and UNIX are mostly due to the things that CP/M copied from UNIX. As Mark Twain told Helen Keller, every human utterance is plagiarism. Everyone copies the good ideas of those who came before them.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Linuxgamer94 wrote: Now here is the thing React OS has a short Window. In April 2014 XP will be dead … AmOh React OS should suport both Diredt X and OpenGL.
You forgot something:
There is an Enterprise Low Activity build of Windows XP called Windows Fundamentals for Legacy Personals Computer(FLP).It is mostly, if not fully, ABI compatible with x86 Windows NT5. And the support of Windows FLP, their binary compatible lowactivity OS, will continue to be supported after 2014-04-08.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Linuxgamer94

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

erkinalp wrote:
Linuxgamer94 wrote: Now here is the thing React OS has a short Window. In April 2014 XP will be dead … AmOh React OS should suport both Diredt X and OpenGL.
You forgot something:
There is an Enterprise Low Activity build of Windows XP called Windows Fundamentals for Legacy Personals Computer(FLP).It is mostly, if not fully, ABI compatible with x86 Windows NT5. And the support of Windows FLP, their binary compatible lowactivity OS, will continue to be supported after 2014-04-08.
Yet that version of Windows is DEAD. No one uses it, it is a huge minority even in rare versions of Widnows. Windows CE is used more for a full OS. I wanted to give this versions a try, but no one can get hands on ISO's of it. No one in bussinges or Education should use XP, just think about the security issues and software suport. Vista is the next step for devlopers, users who want suport will have to upgrade to Vista, and then to seven if they want to keep their data. NO one who has a brain would install Windows 8 unless they want to take it to a shooting range to blow up. Also why in the world is React OS located in Germany. It seams that most people on the forum speak english. Even Widnows Longhorn is better then XP and that is all builds and betas of alphas. Not even alpha stage stuff.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

I wish to sign under your every word DOSGuy wrote 3 posts above. Thanks man.
Linuxgamer94

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

and yet it sucks for end users.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

ReactOS is NOT located in Germany. Where do you get these completely wrong information from??
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

Indeed. I was under the impression that ReactOS is international in terms of its "Location", with only legal ties to certain countries in terms of "Location of incorporation", and then only out of necessity or convenience. ReactOS is physically hosted wherever it is easiest to manage, IIRC. It is the actual people that constitute ReactOS, and they are fully international in origin and scope.

I don't understand why people feel compelled to apply nationalist labeling to something that is clearly international, and sprang up from the reduced international communication barriers that the internet provides. ReactOS uses English as the primary discussion language, because it is the primary language used on the internet. If the internet was mostly in Thai, ReactOS would use Thai. Where the server is located becomes increasingly less relevant as time passes in this digital age. (excepting, perhaps, the recent issues with certain nations and their penchants for censorship and eavesdropping-- but that's a tangential line of dialog I don't want to address. Again, ReactOS is hosted where it is most easily operated from, which tends to exclude such locales intrinsically, making it moot anyway.)

*sigh
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Wrong too. Its located in Moscow, Russia.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Yaraslau

Post by Yaraslau »

EmuandCo wrote:Wrong too. Its located in Moscow, Russia.
What do you mean, EmuandCo?
Cybird

Post by Cybird »

He's referring to the ReactOS Foundation, which was established in Moscow. (Though there is ReactOS Deutschland e.V.) And the buildbots are located in Sweden and Poland.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

You don't have to explain me our system. No one cares in any legal case where our funny lil servers are located (</diminuitive_mode>). ReactOS is located in Moscow and has a sub organization for donation and public work in USA and EU located here in Germany.