You guys need to speed up the development of ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Re: You guys need to speed up the development of ReactOS

Post by Z98 »

We do not have anything based in the US.
Wierd

Post by Wierd »

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I recall the following events transpiring for ReactOS Foundation's legal filing happening in Russia:

Previous project maintainer steps down, and Alexey is chosen as the new maintainer. At the time, there had been several attempts to legally file ReactOS's org in the US as a US nonprofit in the previous maintainer's local area. (where it would have been convenient for him.) Those attempts met with repeated failure, due to byzantine BS in the US tax code. After Alexey took over, that process continued, but now in Moscow, where the registration of the Org and name WERE successful. Again, where it was most convenient.

The actual ReactOS org does not have any "nationalistic loyalty" is what I was getting at-- The org is made up of the contributing members, who exist in a wide range of international localities. The location of filing only has significance on paper.

Similarly with the build servers, that are hosted wherever affordable and reliably maintainable hosting services have been readily available. (the location of the build server has changed twice that I know of.)

I think you may have mis-read what I wrote-- I wasn't arguing that ReactOS wasnt currently HQed in Moscow (on paper)-- I was arguing that ReactOS, the organization, is international in nature, owing to the international nature of its members, and the lack of any nationalist loyalty of the org itself to its locality of registration.

For the latter part, I was referring to the internet as a whole. Most of the contributing members speak English as either a primary or secondary language, and the current defacto business language for international operations is English. That is why ReactOS conducts business in English. If the defacto business language of the world was Thai, then the project would be using Thai. Again, out of simple expediency, and not out of any specific ethnic or political intent. I wasnt saying that ReactOS's org was hosted in Thailand.

I dont know how much clearer I can be about that.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

No one inferred anything from your statement. There's just a lot of frustration bundled up against the person who brought up the issue in the first place.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Z98 wrote:We do not have anything based in the US.
Yeah, but it was planned at the very beginning.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Hopefully, the OP just meant that he is so desperate for ReactOS that he is merely waiting impatiently...

The majority of us here realise how difficult it is coding all the intricacies of an o/s.

Note to OP - Rather than complain that ReactOS isn't here yet it might be wiser to encourage the team using positivity.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
steveh

negative sideeffects of EOS XP upon Reactos

Post by steveh »

ReactOS current target is NT5.2 / Win2003

In april 2014 Win XP and Win2003 will be EOS (end of support).

As far as i remember the situation of Win2000 after it's EOS in July 2010, of course it was usable later,
at limited or no risk if behind a good firewall and even online as long as outdatet IE 6 SP1 and WMP (media player) were not used.

But the OS itself is not all!
Some time later the real problems started for Win2000:
1 to 2 years after EOS Win2000, new version of more and more applications's (Firefox, Libreoffice, most antivirus-software, .... and many others) did no longer support win2000.

exemples:
Firefox developers have stopped W2K support due to adopting the new compiler version of VisualStudio2010 for their build infrastructure. This generates executables which are not win2000 compatible!
But the new compiler is mandatory to take full advantage of performance advantages of new windowa versions....

Antivirus programs do the same, they no longer support Win2000, and daily signature updates also support the old versions of antivirus programms for a limited time only...
How useful is an antivirus program version of 2009 or 2010 without new signature updates?

drivers:
starting with W2K EOS, support for win2000 is quite rare by drivers of new hardware components.

Obviously all the same will happen to WinXP versus application software and drivers starting from april 2014.

So isn't the time come for Reactos to switch to NT6.0 or NT6.1 standards, even if NT5.2 standards are currently not fully implemented and functional?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Many of these standards are already there, but as long as some are still missing we would just reduce the compatibility by exporting them. just be patient.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...