Re: Mascot for ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

The_French_Rat

Post by The_French_Rat »

Yes, and I can't wait until ROS is a beautiful swan. :D
Enough said.
Just think of ReactOS as the XP beta, Whistler.
bernarddt

Post by bernarddt »

Webunny wrote:[...]Maybe we should go with a fish.
Hahaha, this thread is starting to feel like a 4chan.org spinoff :P
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Whoever starts to post pedobear stuff or cat pics, will suffer ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Pedobear? Yuck! We don't want our OS to get the reputation of being popular among certain folks. Now I could see a cat being a mascot, with us pawing our way to completion. And with the mention of 4Chan, I guess any girl with 4 pigtails and green hair is out, though blue hair might work. Like have a girl with 4 blue pigtails or hair clips standing beside a boy or bald girl when we reach 4.0.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well I was more talking about the icanhazcheezeburger style. Using a cat as mascot is fully supported by me. (/me has 6 cats @home)

Like this one ^^ (My Birma, Selkirk Rex Mix)
HERE
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:Well I was more talking about the icanhazcheezeburger style. Using a cat as mascot is fully supported by me. (/me has 6 cats @home)

HERE

Well, enough goofing around.

If we're being serious about this, we would need a picture (photo's won't cut it). It can be kept simple and preferably cute, like the penguin of linux, or even the lil whale of Freedos.

[ external image ]
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Webunny wrote:If we're being serious about this, we would need a picture (photo's won't cut it). It can be kept simple and preferably cute, like the penguin of linux, or even the lil whale of Freedos.
Can we merge the two? Like a whaleguin?
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

EmuandCo wrote:Well I was more talking about the icanhazcheezeburger style. Using a cat as mascot is fully supported by me. (/me has 6 cats @home)

HERE
Yes, I am aware of the meme. I love that cat pic! They love to sleep in the weirdest of positions and look like they are playing dead. At this point, that seems to be this project. Plenty alive, but to most folks, just lying there in a weird position and some not sure if it is alive.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Interesting interpretation ^^
Its absolutely not dead, but the metaphor is cool indeed

fred02

Post by fred02 »

EmuandCo wrote:Using a cat as mascot is fully supported by me.
Unfortunately it has been already taken.
EmuandCo wrote:(/me has 6 cats @home)
6 :!: [ external image ]
EmuandCo wrote:Like this one ^^ (My Birma, Selkirk Rex Mix)
HERE
PurpleGurl wrote:They love to sleep in the weirdest of positions and look like they are playing dead. At this point, that seems to be this project. Plenty alive, but to most folks, just lying there in a weird position and some not sure if it is alive.
Yeah, and sometime defy physical laws. I wonder how it does not fall. :)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Anyway... if we're going to be serious about this, maybe we should ask some artists (there are some here, I hope?) to have a go at it. Alternatively, maybe we could contact some people, like the one that made the devil of bsd or the whale for freedos, and ask if they're willing to draw something for it?
Last edited by Webunny on Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Webunny wrote:if we're going to be serious about this
Judging by this comment above, this whole mascot thing is, understandably, not a priority for the ROS core team.
Webunny wrote:and this is maybe we should ask some artist (there are some her, I hope?) to have a go at it.
On this point I agree with you. This is a good opportunity for the ROS forum community to show that we are serious about our support. Also, a mascot is not as official as a logo, so at worse we will end-up with another cute/nice/funny wallpaper for ROS. :)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

fred02 wrote:
Webunny wrote:if we're going to be serious about this
Judging by this comment above, this whole mascot thing is, understandably, not a priority for the ROS core team.
Seen what Amine says here http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 27#p104968, we shouldn't be discouraged by any single reaction of a dev/ROS official. As I gather it, all initiative is welcomed, there not always need to be permission (well, obviously, using a mascot for ROS would), but most importantly, I think they especially wait for some real action/performance/delivery, instead of just talking about it. Which is why - even though I goof a bit about it too - ultimately come back to the issue of: does anyone, in effect, want (=is going to) to make an effort to make a mascot for ROS?

I mean, I don't mind making fun and speaking jokingly about it, but there comes a point where one clearly has to make the point if it's ONLY as a free-wheeling chit-chat we talk about it, or if anyone is seriously going to put his shoulders under it. I'm not an artist myself, so that's why I'm asking if there are here, or if we should maybe search for them elsewhere.
Webunny wrote:and this is maybe we should ask some artist (there are some her, I hope?) to have a go at it.
On this point I agree with you. This is a good opportunity for the ROS forum community to show that we are serious about our support. Also, a mascot is not as official as a logo, so at worse we will end-up with another cute/nice/funny wallpaper for ROS. :)
True. And lets not forget some of the iconic mascots out there, like Linux' penguin, has come to life in exactly the same way; by some wild suggestions on a linux-forum, people posted some examples, and ultimately the penguin got slowly adopted (of course, the story of Linus getting bit by a penguin did help too ;-) ).
middings

Post by middings »

Webunny wrote:As I gather it, all initiative is welcomed, there not always need to be permission (well, obviously, using a mascot for ROS would), but most importantly, I think they especially wait for some real action/performance/delivery, instead of just talking about it.
You have described the culture common to the people behind successful projects.

"Talk is cheap. Show me the code."
--Linus Torvalds
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Webunny wrote:Seen what Amine says here http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 27#p104968
Point 4? No, haven't read that far, sorry, too many words. :(
Webunny wrote:we shouldn't be discouraged by any single reaction of a dev/ROS official.
Well, my feeling is that most of what Z98 says is official ROS team statement(s), especially on things such as mascots, logos or distributions. And since we are talking about it, here is my feeling on the "officialness" of statements on the forum:
  • any post by fireball: official, final (static, const (add equivalent in your favored language))
  • Z98/EmuandCo close seconds
  • vicmarcal third
Now this total IMHO. I know there are other developers posting on the forum, Amine for instance, but their posts are few and far apart, so they get lost.
Webunny wrote:As I gather it, all initiative is welcomed, there not always need to be permission (well, obviously, using a mascot for ROS would), but most importantly, I think they especially wait for some real action/performance/delivery, instead of just talking about it. Which is why - even though I goof a bit about it too - ultimately come back to the issue of: does anyone, in effect, want (=is going to) to make an effort to make a mascot for ROS?
I mean, I don't mind making fun and speaking jokingly about it, but there comes a point where one clearly has to make the point if it's ONLY as a free-wheeling chit-chat we talk about it, or if anyone is seriously going to put his shoulders under it. I'm not an artist myself, so that's why I'm asking if there are here, or if we should maybe search for them elsewhere.
Neither am I. But there is a lot of people complaining that they can not help because they know nothing about programming, this is an opportunity for them. I hope some will step forward.

(Thinking aloud) I like more and more this puffin idea. We could use its brightly colored beak to make a play on the Windows(c) multicolor window logo. We should even use the same colors, after all Linus did it with the latest kernel for workgroups(c), so there is no copyright problem. :D
Ah, and I like the English name of it. Sounds like something comfy and fluffy, giving you a warm home feeling. :P