ReactOS Originality?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

coryhenrique

ReactOS Originality?

Post by coryhenrique »

Hello, I wonder if ReactOS does not infringe any patent of Microsoft Windows, as it has the same user interface, same files and the same functions.
If not infringe, the reasons that ensure their originality?

Already I'm Gratefull! :)
DOSGuy

Re: ReactOS Originality?

Post by DOSGuy »

It doesn't have the same files. It has files that have the same file names, but file names are not patentable. Courts have affirmed that reverse engineering is legal, which is why it was possible for companies like Compaq and HP to make IBM-compatible PCs when the IBM PC BIOS was reverse engineered. IBM's BIOS was protected by copyright, so it would be illegal to just copy the code, but it's perfectly legal to write your own code that does the same thing. It's legal for ReactOS to make a Windows-compatible OS for the same reason that it's legal for companies other than IBM to sell PCs.

That said, every piece of software in existence violates someone's patent. It's impossible not to, which is why New Zealand recently amended their laws to prevent software patents from being issued. Every piece of software necessarily copies ideas from other pieces of software. This is bad news for companies that charge money for their products, like Samsung, Apple, Google and Microsoft. ReactOS is free, so there are no profits to sue for. Hopefully other countries will follow New Zealand's lead and put an end to software patent trolling.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

manuel

Post by manuel »

Well, i know that no problem already, in the first years of life it became clear with the demand that won microsoft on apple over the use of "similar" interface. Then because an interface is slightly similar (but not equal) there should be no problem.
milon

Post by milon »

coryhenrique wrote:Hello, I wonder if ReactOS does not infringe any patent of Microsoft Windows, as it has the same user interface, same files and the same functions.
If not infringe, the reasons that ensure their originality?

Already I'm Gratefull! :)
See our use FAQ: http://reactos.org/user-faq
It answers your question, and a whole lot more! :)
coryhenrique

Post by coryhenrique »

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions! :)

I have another question, ReactOS has the same Windows functions. This would not be a copy, which would imply a breach of copyright?

Already I'm Gratefull! :D
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

That would the same that if a singer whit copyrighted songs, consider what people can't sing or even talk, as are functions the singer had.
Last edited by mametoc on Fri Sep 13, 2013 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
milon

Post by milon »

Another example is a car engine. Honda makes their cars work one way, and Subaru makes them work another way. Both use gasoline to create internal combustion, but each has its own unique design & features. The same goes for ReactOS. The ReactOS functions are written to do the same thing as the Microsoft functions, but they don't necessarily do it in the same way. Therefore it's not a copy, and therefore we don't violate MS's copyright.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

coryhenrique wrote:I have another question, ReactOS has the same Windows functions. This would not be a copy, which would imply a breach of copyright?
As I said, no Windows code has been copied. It is a copyright violation to copy code, but it is perfectly legal to write original code that does the same thing (copy functionality).
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

This thread illustrates all that is wrong with general perception/understanding of intellectual property law in the world right now.
Linuxgamer94

Post by Linuxgamer94 »

You forget that there is a diffrence between Copyright and Patents. I dought that React OS violated any Copyrights, how ever patents I am not sure, want proff look at the Linspire case. Can Microsoft make the same claims agaist React OS, yes. How ever with todays enconomy it could go ether way, espicaly if the case is tooken in Europe. I am not saying it is going to happen, but it can happen. Don't forget there is this thing called likeness and they could also go for that. Also remember that Wine is illegal in some contrys now unless you are running Windows. How ever this does not effect countries like the US who don't reconize API's under copyright.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Every piece of software violates someone's software patent, so every software company is vulnerable to patent lawsuits. There's huge money to be made when a small (patent troll) company goes after a huge company like Microsoft, or when two huge companies fight over a trillion dollar industry (Apple v. Samsung). How much money is Microsoft likely to invest in going after ReactOS, a free program whose Foundation has no revenues and no assets? It would ultimately do no harm, since the ReactOS Foundation could shut down or declare bankruptcy, and it wouldn't stop anyone from using ReactOS because it's open source and distributed by the global internet. You could sue the Linux Foundation out of existence, but it wouldn't remove the Linux source from the internet. FOSS projects are unkillable.