My experience with ntvdm

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

My experience with ntvdm

Post by oldman »

Tested in real hardware with revision 61103.

I have tried to run some dos programmes in ntvdm, but without success. I get the following errors:

[ external image ]

The above only happens when trying to run that particular game.

[ external image ]

This error is displayed for other games and non-games.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just because ntvdm is not yet complete? The command line can be seen in the first image.

Note: odd programmes need to be installed (I don't know which ones), but I get the same error window.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
hbelusca
Developer

Re: My experience with ntvdm

Post by hbelusca »

NTVDM is far from complete, and [TheFlash] and Vampyre are just trying to play with debugging some instructions, and finishing to implement 32bit support. Maybe you need to use DOS extenders (not included by default) (notice that Windows includes a DOS extender).
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I was able to get NTVDM to load GWBASIC and Turbo Pascal 5.5, but they both froze while I was writing some code to test. From what I've been told, there are too many bugs, and NTVDM is changing too fast for it to be worth creating bug reports right now.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Its a branch and it has one Jira entry. Thats it for now I would say. As you said, it changes almost every day recently. As soon as it reaches a sorta stable state (1st merge to trunk), you can write reports ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

oldman wrote:Tested in real hardware with revision 61103.
Just in case: you did try the ntvdm branch and *not* trunk? Also revision 61103 is around 6 days old already, quite some work has happened in the branch since then again.

Regards,
Sven
Free Pascal compiler developer
roytam

Post by roytam »

oldman wrote:Tested in real hardware with revision 61103.

I have tried to run some dos programmes in ntvdm, but without success. I get the following errors:

[ external image ]

The above only happens when trying to run that particular game.

[ external image ]

This error is displayed for other games and non-games.

Am I doing something wrong or is it just because ntvdm is not yet complete? The command line can be seen in the first image.

Note: odd programmes need to be installed (I don't know which ones), but I get the same error window.
I wonder if we can use another font for CLI window:
http://webdraft.hu/fonts/classic-console/
oldman

Post by oldman »

PascalDragon wrote:
Just in case: you did try the ntvdm branch and *not* trunk? Also revision 61103 is around 6 days old already, quite some work has happened in the branch since then again.

Regards,
Sven
I got the ntdvm.exe from a link posted here in the forum last week (just tried to find it, but cannot), and ended up putting it into System32. I do not know when the ntdvm.exe was compiled, so I don't know how old it is and R61103 is the lasted trunk rev that I have installed.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

It would be better if you'd install this branch completely to be sure that nothing is missed like adjustments in libraries like kernel32.dll etc.

Regards,
Sven
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

There are no adjustments. All other fixes are in thrunk already.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

roytam wrote: [...]
!!!!!!!!!!! EXCELLENT !!!!!!!!!! It's exactly what I searched for when I introduced also the Fixedsys Excelsior font that we currently use for the console, but I didn't find at the time any satisfying font.
Also I was searching for a console-like font which would include representations of extended characters, that's why I chose the Fixedsys one.
I need to keep this link under the arm.

EDIT1: This one: http://alexandre.deverteuil.net/console ... fonts.html is interesting too, but one would have to convert those fonts into either .FON (bitmapped) or .TTF fonts, but at the moment we only support TrueType fonts...
Last edited by hbelusca on Wed Dec 04, 2013 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

oldman wrote:
PascalDragon wrote:

Regards,
Sven
I got the ntdvm.exe from a link posted here in the forum last week (just tried to find it, but cannot), and ended up putting it into System32. I do not know when the ntdvm.exe was compiled, so I don't know how old it is and R61103 is the lasted trunk rev that I have installed.
The NTVDM is the one of revision 61111.
roytam

Post by roytam »

hbelusca wrote:
!!!!!!!!!!! EXCELLENT !!!!!!!!!! It's exactly what I searched for when I introduced also the Fixedsys Excelsior font that we currently use for the console, but I didn't find at the time any satisfying font.
Also I was searching for a console-like font which would include representations of extended characters, that's why I chose the Fixedsys one.

EDIT1: This one: http://alexandre.deverteuil.net/console ... fonts.html is interesting too, but one would have to convert those fonts into either .FON (bitmapped) or .TTF fonts, but at the moment we only support TrueType fonts...
I cooked my own Classic Console font with uni-vga bitmap with fontforge import function.
It looks quite good. (but it looks like a 8x14 font)
[ external image ]
PascalDragon

Post by PascalDragon »

EmuandCo wrote:There are no adjustments. All other fixes are in thrunk already.
Well... it was worth a guess :)

Regards,
Sven
roytam

Post by roytam »

Embedding bitmap to other font isn't appropriate for open source manner IMO, so I used bdf2hex(bdfimplode) and hex2sfd from Unifoundry Unicode Utilities and have some manual editing in Fontforge and generated a TTF font.

It looks better, huh?
[ external image ]

sfd+ttf (12/6/2013 updated 2: removed overlaps and merged adjacent lines for reducing file size)
http://roy.dnsd.me/u_vga_ttf.7z
roytam

Post by roytam »

hbelusca wrote:

I think we can use some X11 bundled bitmap fonts like Misc-Fixed and Schumacher-Clean for some small size Terminal font replacement. for example, 4x6 (actually Terminal font sizes varying between different locales, for example Chinese variant has 3x5, 5x8, 6x12, 8x16, 8x18 etc.)
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs-fonts.html