Motto Competition (Phase 2)

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ArmyMan007

Motto Competition (Phase 2)

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Happy new year everyone!!! :D

A new year always symbolizes a fresh start. With that in mind, I present to you all the second phase of the ReactOS Motto Competition, in hopes that the project will adopt a "fresh start" and apply a motto.

After reviewing the motto submissions from the first phase (http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12933), the top 10 mottoes were selected to continue to the next phase, keeping in mind that the motto must be short, sweet and to the point (meaning no "monkey business"). Everyone can access the form and choose no more than 2 mottoes.

The Survey will be locked on Feburary 1st at EXACTLY 23:59 (GMT +2).

Good luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor! ;)

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1d9FyN3 ... U/viewform
ReactOS - Open Your Windows to Freedom
milon

Re: Motto Competition (Phase 2)

Post by milon »

I voted! :D
forart

Post by forart »

Problem: i was able to vote twice, so results can't be realiable at all.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

forart wrote:Problem: i was able to vote twice, so results can't be realiable at all.
So I've noticed, which is somewhat problematic. However, I trust everyone enough so that they'll vote only once and won't repeat the process multiple times.

Keep in mind that this is only the 2nd phase, meaning there is still more to come :-)

And regarding your motto:
forart wrote:I'm the author of it, so I must specify that lowercase is essential (to be ambiguous enough): "Open your windows to freedom" is the correct way as I thinked it.

Variations could be "Open (your) windows to freedom" or "Open windows to freedom".
Your specifications have been noted and will be processed in the future. Thank you for your comment :)
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Yes, "Open windows to freedom" seems to have more room for hidden meanings and innuendos. For instance, "open windows" would sum up the goal. Open could be an adjective or a verb (with an implied subject since that would make it an imperative sentence). You could be calling ROS open windows to freedom, or telling others to open their windows to freedom. So a very versatile wording.
Last edited by PurpleGurl on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frontier

Post by Frontier »

I googled ReactOS a while ago and saw slashdot's: "The State of ReactOS's Crazy Open Source Windows Replacement" which really nailed it home IMHO.

We're an alpha OS, it's nuts, it's fun, it's crazy, it does (mostly) work, and it might go somewhere, but it's not pretentious and there are definitely sacrifices and compromises in running it at the moment.

I really like "The Crazy Open Source Windows Replacement".
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Frontier wrote:I googled ReactOS a while ago and saw slashdot's: "The State of ReactOS's Crazy Open Source Windows Replacement" which really nailed it home IMHO.

We're an alpha OS, it's nuts, it's fun, it's crazy, it does (mostly) work, and it might go somewhere, but it's not pretentious and there are definitely sacrifices and compromises in running it at the moment.

Sadly there is no option to add any more submissions.. :(
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Frontier wrote:I googled ReactOS a while ago and saw slashdot's: "The State of ReactOS's Crazy Open Source Windows Replacement" which really nailed it home IMHO.

Yes, well, the slogan is meant to last a bit.

I'm not all that much for the frivolous and funny approach. Sure, it can be fun and sound nifty in some aspects, but if it's meant seriously, one also has to consider the slogan in a serious and long-term way.

"Open your windows to freedom' is, imho, one of the best there is: it can be interpreted on multiple levels, without geting really explicit, but it still is something that sound decent/professional and not merely to make a joke, poke fun, or make some very specific claim that will be made obsolete in the future (like the 'crazy' slogan, or DNF reference and such). It must sound good and acceptable to the individual as well as corporations. I think people are viewing it to much from the perspective of their own individual likings, and not placing themselves from the standpoint of long-term (Reactos will be a polished OS one day) general acceptance of the public and business alike.

My favourite is and remains 'Open your windows to freedom' , thus, but I doubt I'll 'officially' vote for it, since it seems little use, as long as the devs don't agree or don't care.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

I voted. 8-) I wish there were other choices. Perhaps 'ReactOS; Small Is The New Big'? :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

510 views and yet ONLY 39 votes... CAST YOUR VOTE, TODAY!!!
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

(bump)
DivXMan

Post by DivXMan »

I voted
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Hurry up people! Only 7 days to go!
ArmyMan007

Post by ArmyMan007 »

Closing Finale! Only 2 days to go!
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

ArmyMan007 wrote:Closing Finale! Only 2 days to go!
[ external image ]