ReactOS 0.3.16 Released

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oswetto

ReactOS 0.3.16 Released

Post by oswetto »

The ReactOS Project is pleased to announce the release of version 0.3.16. A little under a year has passed since the previous release and a significant amount of progress has been made. Some of the most significant include completion of the CSRSS rewrite and the first stages of a shell32 rewrite. 0.3.16 is in many ways a prelude to several new features that will provide a noticeable enhancement to user visible functionality. A preview can be seen in the form of theme support, which while disabled by default can be turned on to demonstrate the Lautus theme developed by community member Maciej Janiszewki. Another user visible change is a new network card driver for the RTL8139, allowing ReactOS to support newer versions of QEMU out of the box. The following link lists all issues resolved during the 0.3.16 development period. A total of 416 issues were fixed. The breakdown of resolved issues are 263 bugs, 106 improvements, 11 new features, and 36 other types. Issues Resolved
DOSGuy

Re: ReactOS 0.3.16 Released

Post by DOSGuy »

This should go in the News forum. Congratulations ReactOS team!
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
helsinkiharbour

Post by helsinkiharbour »

Indeed, congratulations! :)
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Well done!

ReactOS 0.3.16 is snappy to load under VMware, snappy to run, responds to everything almost instantly, seems much more stable so far. So much quicker to boot and run ReactOS in comparison to lightweight linux systems like Slax or more full blown o/s like Linux Mint. ReactOS in a VM with one 2.2ghz core feels like it is running on a system 2-3 times more powerful than it really is.

I will be attempting to test USB support and will report back on the forum later.

So far, really impressed. Seems like a real 'live' operating system and not just an alpha.

I long for the day I can have such a familiar o/s on my live systems without worrying whether Microsoft is going to make it obsolete today/tomorrow. Long live Reactos!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Are you using the VMware image we provide? Cause there was a crashing bug on VMware that forced us to disable it. It's noted in the changelog under known issues.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Yes I am. It is working with no problems whatsoever. I'll check the changelog.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Congratulations on getting another release out the door!
Dave3434

Post by Dave3434 »

will the next release be beta software? :?:
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Dave3434 wrote:will the next release be beta software? :?:
no, the next release seems to be 0.4, which will be also alpha quality software.

the next minor release, 0.5, (if the team didn't purge version numbers until then) will be Beta quality software.
Zc456

Post by Zc456 »

Even if it's alpha, 0.4 would still be a huge milestone.
Stay frosty, Tony Bark.