games on ROS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Webunny

Re: games on ROS

Post by Webunny »

cruonit wrote:There are many games that work on reactos and most of them have a free demo version that can be downloaded from the internet or abadonware websites.

My idea is to add those games to the reactos application/download manager so it can be a used as abadon-game OS with an easy user interface :)

abandonware games can be free and legaly directly downloaded from:
[Links removed]

just look at this list of abadon games that are free (and can be directly downloaded):
[Links removed]
Seems a cool idea. That said, one should make sure there is no IP remaining on those games. Some, indeed, have released their old games as open source or at least offer it completely free (speech and beer) - the old command and conquer comes to mind - but others never explicitly said so. Those latter may still be under patent/copyright/other IP rights and can't just be incorporated (at least, not in any official way), regardless of whether those sites think it's old enough to be considered abandonware. Nothing as tricky and annoying as IP in regard to software.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

The old C&C is free only as in beer, unfortunately. Also, abandonware
is a product, typically software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no product support is available. Although such software is usually still under copyright, the owner may not be tracking or enforcing copyright violations.
I think it takes a really long time under US/EU copyright for the works to enter public domain.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Black_Fox wrote:The old C&C is free only as in beer, unfortunately. Also, abandonware
is a product, typically software, ignored by its owner and manufacturer, and for which no product support is available. Although such software is usually still under copyright, the owner may not be tracking or enforcing copyright violations.
I think it takes a really long time under US/EU copyright for the works to enter public domain.
Yes, something like 70 or 90 years. I don't think there is any software in existence that has fallen into the public domain solely due to 'old age'. (since software ain't around for that long).

Though, what C&C (old) did may be sufficient; if they release it 'free as in beer' it's good enough to download it without problems. And some *are* free as in speech too, like the Starcontrol II clone I talked about.

On itself, I like the idea of having a repository with free games ready to install. One just has to be careful when picking the games so not to violate their copyright/licensing terms. Of course, no way in hell the devs are going to implement that in trunk.

However.. it could be a good idea for the RCE. Maybe Vic will pick this up when he reads this.
Last edited by Webunny on Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

Freeware (and free games in general) are good to go, but don't even touch abandonwares with ROS, because from legal point of view, it does not exist. :!: Having some overzealous young lawyer suing ROS over some old game to make a himself a name is the least we all want. :evil:
(I would also recommend editing previous posts to remove all links).
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

cruonit, you're going to have to demonstrate to me how those sites are not violating copyright violation or I am going to remove those links by the end of the day. Distribution of abandonware without the explicit permission of the rights holders is still copyright violation.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

What is going about the default gameset? Solitaire is almost dead. I think ReactOS should have at least these:
-ReactOS&free software introduction
-Tetris clone
-Chess
-Backgammon
-Virtual C machine(to teach kids programming)
-Sudoku
-Car driving simulator(e.g. TORCS)
-RPG about IP wars
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

EmuandCo wrote:http://www.dreimer.de/?page_id=381

Recent game tests. ^^
Feed it!: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Games_ROS_Testing
erkinalp wrote:What is going about the default gameset? Solitaire is almost dead. I think ReactOS should have at least these:
-Tetris clone
-Chess
-Backgammon
-Sudoku
-RPG about IP wars
ROS isn't there to ship games but to offer an OS.

we only ship the games because they are in windows too. I also believe that they wouldn't be there if they weren't be forked from Wine. (at least most of them)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Only Winemine is from Wine. Solitaire and Spider are ours. And no, they are not dead.
Seems like you did not fully understand our plans yet. We want to be a slim open source Windows OS which offers all the basic functions for Workstation and Server use. If you want games, install em from rapps and if they are not there and you found one which runs fine, tell us and I maybe will add it.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

erkinalp wrote:What is going about the default gameset? Solitaire is almost dead. I think ReactOS should have at least these:
-Tetris clone
-Chess
-Backgammon
-Sudoku
-RPG about IP wars
I don't think this is a very good idea. I mean, I'm all for the original proposal to make a repository of working (free) games that you can download, but it's no use incorporating them (installed and all) in ROS. What it comes down to is this: ROS is not meant to be a gameconsole, after all (though anyone can fork it to be one, of course). So for an ordinary OS, what you suggest is not going to fly. For the simple reason that, while this list is *your* personal preference, other people will invariably have other opinions and 'must have' lists of games, once you start with such a concept. So, without a clear goal (and limitation) - that you can objectively justify! - this would lead to ROS being a gaming-platform, while it just wants to be an OS (clone of XP).

It stands to reason, thus, that you limit the amount of games you put in there. Which amount? Well, there is only one objective measure for that, and that is the same amount that was incorporated in win XP (since that is what ROS goes for). This means minesweeper(clone) and solitaire and such, but that's all.

Well, maybe reversi would be a nice touch too, since that was in windows until 3.1 :-p (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_3.0#Features).

But, seriously, all the rest should be downloaded, not incorporated into ROS from the get-go.
gamax92

Post by gamax92 »

Can I also push for reversi? Would be a nice touch for anyone who has used the old reversi game (I'm included in that)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Do you have a open source one with source code in WinAPI C?

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

EmuandCo wrote:Do you have a open source one with source code in WinAPI C?
I tried to search on the Internet, and I've found this:
http://codes-sources.commentcamarche.ne ... si-windows
http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/scri ... 4&lngWId=3
http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/scri ... 8&lngWId=3
http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/scri ... 6&lngWId=3
http://www.planetsourcecode.com/vb/scri ... 7&lngWId=3

"vb" doesn't mean VisualBasic here, because those programs are C/C++ ^^ But I don't think there is already a clone of Windows reversi, so some coding would be needed based on some of the above programs.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

-Tetris clone
-Chess
-Backgammon
-Sudoku
-RPG about IP wars
You said RPG about IP wars, but in my mind, I got the terminology mixed up and was thinking about an FPS game. So I was thinking about some open source implementation of one of the old Quake engines. But who would you shoot up in the game? Copyright attorneys and the lawmakers who are in bed with them?

Kingpin: Life of Crime uses the Quake 2 engine as a base and is modified a bit. Some of the mods Xatrix Entertainment made involved the palette, and others involved the shooting. For instance, Kingpin is one of the few to divide the body into zones and have different hit points for different parts. So if you hit the opponent in the head, they are more likely to die than if you hit them in the leg. But they may also vary the accuracy of the weapons to make it more of a fair simulation. So when you first pick them up, you will be less likely to hit your target than after you have used it a while. It also has fairly intelligent NPCs. (Id tried to do that in Doom 3.)

Kingpin has an interesting history as abandonware. US Congress thought the game was too violent, especially with it being set to be released shortly after the Columbine High School massacre in Littleton, Colorado. Xatrix could only find one retailer willing to carry it, and the day they released the game, the company went defunct.

While mentioning Kingpin, it has a sort of interesting plot. It is sort of about an era that never existed. If you go by the plot and surroundings in the game, it could be anywhere between the 1920's and the mid 1980's or so. There are detached CRT televisions in the game in a few spots. Those seem like 1950's or maybe the later replicas. It is a bit dystopic, with about the only residents you see being gangsters, homeless people, alcoholics and prostitutes, and you have to watch out for the rats everywhere. Most of the businesses have bars on the doors and windows, and there are gun and pawn shops in nearly every level. (The last two don't since there are significant armories to use.) There are also bars too, and you have to go in them to complete missions. Unlike Doom and Quake, you are killing people, not zombies, aliens, and monsters, but unlike GTA and other controversial games, there is no sexual content, just loads of violence and profanity. I like the game, but it gets old, since there are only so many levels. The other main disadvantage is loading time. You get on an elevator and it has to load the next part of the game. It is not as bad if you have a SSD to spare. Oh, and it has its share of bugs, like ones related to crew members. You can pick up to 2 NPCs to accompany you, but sometimes they get lost or stuck, and they may get crushed in an elevator, or burned to death in the steel mill level.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Hm. Strange. Does the target field of a shortcut work in ROS? Because, UQM should normally work with the --sound=none option (albeit without sound, obviously). Otherwise it borks. And it did work when I use the commandline, so I thought I had misplaced something in the windowed targetfield of the icon (well, of the .exe), but now I tried it again, and it really doesn't work. When I try it on my normal PC (with vista), it does.

It seems to me he ROS doesn't recognise it as a command of how it should run, rather it sees it as part of the name of the file ("file not existing"). Am I right?

Is there a way to circumvent it?
Last edited by Webunny on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.