ReactOS is now supported by Bountysource

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

gonzoMD

Re: ReactOS is now supported by Bountysource

Post by gonzoMD »

Bountysource is a nice idea, but I think it is bad that it automatically fetches jira issues as there are also metabugs tracking issues, syncs and so on
justincase

Post by justincase »

It has actually been there for a while, but was appearing as "CORE" thus it did not show up when one searched for "ReactOS".
It was recently manually renamed. :ugeek:
gonzoMD wrote:Bountysource is a nice idea, but I think it is bad that it automatically fetches jira issues as there are also metabugs tracking issues, syncs and so on
I'm not quite understanding why that's bad.
Do you mean because more than one person might collaborate to "fix" one of those "metabugs"? or something else?

P.S. I was planning on mentioning it here as a method of trying to get your bug(s) fixed quicker, cause it's sort of like a "put your money where your mouth is" concept, and I think more people might be willing to use it as they know exactly what their money is going toward, but I was going to wait till the IndieGoGo Campaign ended as the project gets a higher percentage of the money raised if it "reaches it's goal"
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

justincase wrote: I'm not quite understanding why that's bad.
Do you mean because more than one person might collaborate to "fix" one of those "metabugs"? or something else?
I believe it's because it pollutes the actual bugs, makes it harder to find the actual problems with ReactOS' code.
justincase

Post by justincase »

That's what JIRA's for, not BountySource.
If you want to put a bounty on a specific issue (or check if an issue you fixed has a bounty on it ;)) you find the issue on JIRA, copy it's URL and paste it into the "Post a Bounty" box (labeled with "Paste issue URL or search by keyword."), and if you're looking for an issue to prioritize on so you can get it's bounty, you (search for and) go to the "project tracker" on BountySource and sort the issues by "Bounty total".
BountySource is not meant to take over for the actual bugtracker, it's a supplement to give people incentive to actually sit down (or get into whatever other position you prefer) and fix the problems in an open-source project.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

justincase wrote:That's what JIRA's for, not BountySource.
If you want to put a bounty on a specific issue (or check if an issue you fixed has a bounty on it ;)) you find the issue on JIRA, copy it's URL and paste it into the "Post a Bounty" box (labeled with "Paste issue URL or search by keyword."), and if you're looking for an issue to prioritize on so you can get it's bounty, you (search for and) go to the "project tracker" on BountySource and sort the issues by "Bounty total".
BountySource is not meant to take over for the actual bugtracker, it's a supplement to give people incentive to actually sit down (or get into whatever other position you prefer) and fix the problems in an open-source project.
If I'm a user looking to fund development, I'd rather go and create an issue in BountySource. It doesn't have to be a bug, and it doesn't necessarily belong to the bugtracker. If I'm a developer looking for some freelance work and I have the required skills, I wouldn't want to be wandering through several random bugtrackers until I find something that might get paid, that's what BountySource is for, so I'd rather directly look within the limits of BountySource, and that means having it linked to all of the JIRA issues is polluting it, making it harder to find meaningful items to work on.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

mrugiero wrote:having it linked to all of the JIRA issues is polluting it
BountySource is read-only and only thing present there that is missing from JIRA is the bounty amount. If you want to contribute patches, you still have to post them directly do JIRA. If you were looking for freelance work, you would never go to JIRA anyway as there is no money in sight. All JIRA facilities are still available, BountySource is just optional extension.
You maybe misunderstood what BountySource does (it's NOT a separate bugtracker) or I didn't understand your thoughts properly.
justincase

Post by justincase »

mrugiero wrote:If I'm a user looking to fund development, I'd rather go and create an issue in BountySource.
You can't. It's tied to the bugtracker (In ReactOS' case that's JIRA) or if you would prefer not to use the term "bug" we can call it the "issue tracker" as JIRA (or whatever other 'bugtracker' a project uses) should be used whether you're reporting a bug, requesting a feature, or submitting patches (among other things, but these are the most direct and common).
Black_Fox wrote:BountySource is read-only and only thing present there that is missing from JIRA is the bounty amount.
And that's the way it should be as BountySource is entirely separate from the project itself.
Users & Patch contributors could be using BountySource for code-funding on a project without the project owners even being aware.
The only thing BountySource is for is tracking the money, where it's coming from, what it's for, and who gets it.

To reiterate what Black_Fox says: BountySource is NOT a separate bugtracker.
The only reason for it to show bugs is so someone can post a bounty towards getting an issue resolved (or post 'I'd solve this for $$').
neotrashmetalcore

Post by neotrashmetalcore »

Initiative to raise money to fix Cache Controller and Memory Manager: https://www.bountysource.com/issues/265 ... ry-manager
Support ReactOS at [ external image ]