Does ReactOS only run inside a VM?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

Does ReactOS only run inside a VM?

Post by oldman »

Having read this:
ReactOS Deutschland e.V.

@Christian Vitroler

“Did you ever tell people here that ROS:CE will only run inside a VM?”

You sir should be ashamed of yourself for falsely accusing and attacking a free open source project. Here’s our community’s reply to your sentence above: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs
(from here), I would like to tell everyone who reads this post, that I have been installing and trying-out/testing different releases/revisions of ReactOS on real computer hardware, for around 13 years, and there have only been a few that have not worked! I have seen it go from a command-line only screen, where you could do next to nothing, to a full graphical screen, where some programmes work to an acceptable level, considering that ReactOS is still at the alpha stage.

In the early days it was the official releases that I tried/tested, now I go for the trunk builds, and this is where I have found odd revisions that either would not install or had some bug stopping you from doing anything on the desktop.

Some people do have problems trying to install ReactOS, but this is usually, either on a laptop or on the newer desktops.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
DOSGuy

Re: Does ReactOS only run inside a VM?

Post by DOSGuy »

The commenter was wrong to claim that ROS:CE would only run in a VM, but he/she did have a point about there being no pictures of the rewards. As "soon" gradually becomes "never", it does hurt the campaign's credibility. I haven't donated any money yet because I'm still waiting for those photos, and it may be preventing other people from donating, too.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
AmineKhaldi
Developer

Post by AmineKhaldi »

DOSGuy wrote:The commenter was wrong to claim that ROS:CE would only run in a VM, but he/she did have a point about there being no pictures of the rewards. As "soon" gradually becomes "never", it does hurt the campaign's credibility.
Please also note that I am the one who replies as "ReactOS Deutschland e.V." in the campaign. I have no idea where was this idea of "we'll show you pictures of rewards soon" mentioned or stated. Please point me to it.

Regarding the idea itself, I don't get it: most, if not all the campaigns I researched before and during the planning of the campaign, do not have pictures of the rewards, mainly because in most of them the product is the main thing behind the campaign, so you see pictures of the product, but never pictures of the rewards like the USB pen, the T-Shirt...etc.

Regarding credibility, please note that this particular person was attacking back when KS was running too, he's an exception that can in no way become a rule. Exceptions are handled, so I tried to handle him to the best of my ability, but other than that I see no problem really.
DOSGuy wrote:I haven't donated any money yet because I'm still waiting for those photos, and it may be preventing other people from donating, too.
That, is most surprising to me, because usually the long time supporters of projects back unconditionally, with the perks/rewards being mainly souvenirs...etc for them, or things that symbolize how they are fans, and how they are part of the said projects...etc. Oh well..
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

vicmarcal wrote:
DOSGuy wrote:It would be nice if there were pictures of the physical rewards somewhere, such as the T-shirt (and what the heck is a "Hackbunny plushie"?). Also, some details about the Single Board Computer would be appreciated.
Yes. We're working as mad on it. :)
You will see a lot of changes during the next couple of hours.
We weren't expecting so much attention really. Twitter is hot till recently. Our designers(aka me) working at 300%. Amine and Z the poor guys reviewing my vicmarcalish.
:)
http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13182, April 2.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but there was some indication that we would be getting photos of the rewards.
AmineKhaldi wrote:
DOSGuy wrote:I haven't donated any money yet because I'm still waiting for those photos, and it may be preventing other people from donating, too.
That, is most surprising to me, because usually the long time supporters of projects back unconditionally, with the perks/rewards being mainly souvenirs...etc for them, or things that symbolize how they are fans, and how they are part of the said projects...etc. Oh well..
I wasn't expecting the ROS Kickstarter and Indiegogo campaigns, so I already donated $1000 on behalf of my website to another worthy open source project in January. That's what I budget for donations to open source projects each year. My site also pays $420 per year to World Vision for our sponsored child, Samira, and I'm not taking away the money that I budgeted for her. With regard to my own finances, I have a mortgage and I haven't had a raise since 2011 because my collective agreement expired two years ago and there's been no progress in negotiating a new one. (That means that I could go on strike or be locked out and earn no money until the work interruption is resolved.) Enbridge got their requested permission to raise natural gas prices 40% (a huge hit for Canadians). With all of my expenses increasing and my income stagnating, I'm looking at adding to my mortgage, or borrowing from family, to cover home repairs that need to happen this year. Unfortunately, I can't afford to donate any more money this year out of pure altruism. I'm willing to make a donation in exchange for a single board computer or whatever the heck a hackbunny plushie is, assuming that any information can be provided about those rewards. I'm sorry but, like most people, I live paycheque to paycheque. I'm still adjusting to that reality, and probably being more generous than I should be. I am willing to donate money that I can't really afford to part with to help this project, but I'm going to need to get something of value in return to justify the expense.
Today entirely the maniac there is no excuse with the article. Get free BeOS, DOS, OS/2, and Windows games at RGB Classic Games.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Victor didn't really consult with me when he made that post. Since I'm the one dealing with the design work, he really should have. Providing design samples is not trivial, especially for the hackbunny. For the hackbunny, we're talking about a very low production run meaning I need to source them from a small business that is willing to do small run instead of the minimum thousand runs of bigger places.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Any information would be appreciated.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

The USBs won't be sourced until we have a final count on how many we need. Beyond that, it's a USB stick with a variant of the ROS logo on it. There's not much to show. Shirt designs we generally know what we want, but I and the graphic artist that is on tap to do the finalization are both bottlenecked on a school related project that we're working on. If you have a more specific question, you can ask, but an "any information would be appreciated" line isn't going to get much out of me.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I'm not likely to donate $600 without knowing what single board computer I would get, but I recall reading that a decision hasn't been made yet, and may not be made until after the campaign ends. Perhaps things have evolved since then. Has any decision been made?

Is the "hackbunny plushie" a plushie likeness of Kjkhyperion? This appears to be the only useful result I can Google for "hackbunny".
justincase

ReactOS runs on physical hardware (& will run on more soon)

Post by justincase »

I suppose we're technically hijacking the thread, but seeing as the original question has been completely answered (i.e. While ReactOS is not compatible with all hardware yet it is not limited to running only in Virtual Machines and the funding acquired by the IndieGoGo Campaign will help to make it compatible with more hardware.) and the tangent we're on is pretty directly related (i.e. the other half of the same originating comment) I think it's OK for now.
Z98 wrote:The USBs won't be sourced until we have a final count on how many we need. Beyond that, it's a USB stick with a variant of the ROS logo on it. There's not much to show.
I don't know if this is a good choice for the project's current USB drive needs or not, but PortableApps.com has an ongoing connection with CustomUSB which brings them some revenue via USB drive sales. (see http://www.worldsbestflashdrive.com)
So CustomUSB is probably worth talking to. (Maybe ReactOS could do something ongoing with CustomUSB too?)
DOSGuy wrote:Is the "hackbunny plushie" a plushie likeness of Kjkhyperion?
I've been wondering the same thing.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Z98 wrote:it's a USB stick with a variant of the ROS logo on it. There's not much to show.
What is the color, what are its dimensions, capacity? What's the general shape and access to the connector - classic (solid with cap), rotating , sliding or is it something different? Does it have a small loop that allows to pull a string or a keyring through? Those who donated for USB disk could have a better idea of it if they know these things.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

I'm not as concerned about the USB flash drive since the minimum donation is only $100 and you also get a T-shirt at that level. Double your donation and you get a plushie! I've seriously been wondering what was so special about the plushie. Maybe it's huge? :)
justincase

Another question regarding USB

Post by justincase »

Black_Fox wrote:
Z98 wrote:it's a USB stick with a variant of the ROS logo on it. There's not much to show.
... What's the general shape and access to the connector - classic (solid with cap), rotating , sliding or is it something different? Does it have a small loop that allows to pull a string or a keyring through? ...
Also if it's a "classic (solid with cap)" design is the cap connected/connectible somehow to the drive when plugged in?
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

No decision on the SBC. That one depends heavily on resources. The default choice is a VIA based board. The alternative if we get enough funding to pay for the development time is an AMD board.

USBs will be at most 8GB in capacity unless we break 100 backers getting one. Per unit costs above 8GB jumps significantly. As for style, that may end up being a backer vote between a couple different choices since the cost difference is not significant.

No, the plushie will not look like KJK. The hackbunnies, or at least the iteration we're talking about here, were inspired by KJK's secondary nickname but were created by me a couple years ago as something of an inside joke amongst the developers and have lingered on. Specific dev members know more about them than others, since the injoke was most "active" when KJK was still around. They have a backstory that explains their relationship with the project, but I need to talk to Aleksey, Amine, and Victor about how we want to reveal it.
DOSGuy

Post by DOSGuy »

Z98 wrote:No decision on the SBC. That one depends heavily on resources. The default choice is a VIA based board. The alternative if we get enough funding to pay for the development time is an AMD board.
Do you know what the price range is expected to be? The Minnowboard Max looks like a capable board, for either $99 or $129, for instance.
Z98 wrote:No, the plushie will not look like KJK. The hackbunnies, or at least the iteration we're talking about here, were inspired by KJK's secondary nickname but were created by me a couple years ago as something of an inside joke amongst the developers and have lingered on. Specific dev members know more about them than others, since the injoke was most "active" when KJK was still around. They have a backstory that explains their relationship with the project, but I need to talk to Aleksey, Amine, and Victor about how we want to reveal it.
So it does look like a bunny? Do you know how big it is? (i.e. hand size (4-6") or hug size (9-12")) I think it's an intriguing reward because things like stuffed/plush firefoxes and Tux, the Linux mascot, seemed to be desirable desk objects for geeks at one time.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Almost certainly won't be a Minnowboard. That thing requires UEFI support to boot (no legacy boot support) and there aren't Windows drivers available.

Size will depend on whom we contract out to, but probably hand sized.