kX Project Audio drivers open sourced

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Icy EyeG

kX Project Audio drivers open sourced

Post by Icy EyeG »

Hey guys,
I don't know if anyone already knows this, but the kX Project Audio drivers have been open sourced.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/general-d ... ource.html
http://github.com/kxproject

The author Eugene Gavrilov says the drivers are GPL2:
Code seems to be GPL2-covered.
However, I don't understand what he means by this:
It seems that my mailbox has been hacked, and now the full kX source code has become available online on github. The hacker has also written a nice readme file, which covers kX build process etc.
He doesn't seem worried about it, is he joking, or does it is indeed true that he was hacked, but he approves the code being on github? :?:
oldman

Re: kX Project Audio drivers open sourced

Post by oldman »

That forum post seems a little strange, but if you go to the website you will find that the links to the license point to the GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
cruonit

Post by cruonit »

==== Final notes

All source code is Copyright (c) Eugene Gavrilov, 2001-2014, unless specified otherwise.
The code can be re-distributed under GPL v2, unless specified otherwise.

Many thanks to kX Community.

- Eugene Gavrilov
Icy EyeG

Post by Icy EyeG »

Well, I guess that makes it official then. It's GPL2. But yes, the website is a bit strange indeed.

Anyway, I hope this can be of use for the ReactOS project somehow.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Icy EyeG wrote:Hey guys,
I don't know if anyone already knows this, but the kX Project Audio drivers have been open sourced.

http://www.hardwareheaven.com/general-d ... ource.html
http://github.com/kxproject

The author Eugene Gavrilov says the drivers are GPL2:
Code seems to be GPL2-covered.
However, I don't understand what he means by this:
It seems that my mailbox has been hacked, and now the full kX source code has become available online on github. The hacker has also written a nice readme file, which covers kX build process etc.
He doesn't seem worried about it, is he joking, or does it is indeed true that he was hacked, but he approves the code being on github? :?:
Look at the happy faces and such, he is just joking. Anyway, if you have doubts about it, you should just ask him ;)
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

So, anyway; can ROS actually do anything with it?
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

• the code is at a first quick look mostly c/cpp
  • It is released under GPL
  • we already have another opensource driver included (cmedia)
So, why not?

What I'd like to see is an own AC97 Driver, so that audio runs out of the box from VM's
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I'd be careful here lest his email be compromised and it is a hacker who released it, not the author.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

PurpleGurl wrote:I'd be careful here lest his email be compromised and it is a hacker who released it, not the author.
Google kx project and check the news section on the website. It's also to read there that the drivers are opened.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

gonzoMD wrote:
  • the code is at a first quick look mostly c/cpp
  • It is released under GPL
  • we already have another opensource driver included (cmedia)
So, why not?

What I'd like to see is an own AC97 Driver, so that audio runs out of the box from VM's
Or HD audio...
Saibamen

Post by Saibamen »

kX is good I used this drivers for my SoundBlaster Live! soundcard few years later.
ReactOS Forum Global Moderator
IT-Maniak.pl administrator
gamax92

Post by gamax92 »

I wanted to use the drivers for my SoundBlaster Live, which I still have. They still cannot detect my card for some reason
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

PurpleGurl wrote:I'd be careful here lest his email be compromised and it is a hacker who released it, not the author.
He was clearly joking. I guess this shows what happens if one makes a joke: there are always some who take it seriously, and then it leads a life on it's own.

Read up on the forum there: it's clear the author himself placed it under the GPL.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Webunny wrote:
He was clearly joking. I guess this shows what happens if one makes a joke: there are always some who take it seriously, and then it leads a life on it's own.

Read up on the forum there: it's clear the author himself placed it under the GPL.
I did read the whole forum. Imagine that. And someone else could have still posed as him. I only said to be careful.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

PurpleGurl wrote:
Webunny wrote:

I did read the whole forum. Imagine that. And someone else could have still posed as him. I only said to be careful.
He was a regular there; it's extremely unlikely, if he had been 'spoofed', that he would not have let it be removed, or at least would have reacted to it. Conversely, there would be no reason for a spoofer to tell he had been hacked, nor for the original author to let it stand if the GPL'ing weren't true. Nor for him to make smileys about it (indicating the humoristic nature of it). And besides all that, it's mentioned on the copying-readme of the project itself too.

It's good to be cautious, but there is no reason to be paranoid. It's GPL v2.