Blog: Leaks and corruption

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Blog: Leaks and corruption

Post by Z98 »

PurpleGurl

Re: Blog: Leaks and corruption

Post by PurpleGurl »

Glad some progress was made here. The jury is still out, but hopefully it will be stable.

And if a tool had to be acquired, maybe it could be used to test other code unrelated to the current issues. I am not currently a coder, but if you have recursive loops and allocate memory or resources without deallocating them, then it makes sense that you will run out of memory. And another likely risk of sloppy loops with allocations would be stack corruption. I wrote some .COM files for DOS before using TASM, and I was trying to get my files as small as possible, and in doing so, I occasionally wrote code that corrupted the stack. So working to resolve the ROS leaks might also result in the code running stable on more machines. Sometimes corruption might not show up on all machines since the CPU handles caching and branch prediction differently. I ran into that once where a program would crash on a 486 and work on a Pentium. But going to an older version of the program in question before I tried "optimizing" worked on both. Self-modifying code and confusing loops with stack operations can lead to corruption.
BrentNewland

Re: Blog: Leaks and corruption

Post by BrentNewland »

Deleaker isn’t able to install correctly
Have you tried just copying the install files from your machine to ReactOS? Maybe install it on a Windows VM with something like Sandboxie or a program install monitor if straight copying doesn't work?