Blog: Spilling the Wine

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

rachid

Re: Blog: Spilling the Wine

Post by rachid »

EmuandCo wrote:Oh, you tried Clover... did it work?
nope :|
rachid

Post by rachid »

gigaherz wrote:I believe that screenshot was cropped, since it's properly aligned to the bottom of the screen for me. If that's not the case, I'll need more info to replicate the issue.
Yes, that's right
screenshot updated
Oddjob64

Post by Oddjob64 »

gigaherz wrote:Hello, to anyone interested, here are a new set of builds from the branch, right after yesterday's trunk sync (r63640).

You can choose between
  1. Compiled with Mingw-GCC, or
  2. Compiled with VS2013
Remember that VS builds need WinDbg attached to the serial port in order to start the installer (not required afterwards).

[EDIT: Replaced links with reactos-hosted files.]
"Server not found."
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

WORKSFORME :-P
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

Christoph thinks it's a DNS issue, since other iserv subdomains do work.

Here are the old MEGA.co.nz links while they fix the issue:
WingDings

Post by WingDings »

I think the only appropriate thing to do is start a free leak finding alternative!
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

If you have the knowledge to write something like that, we'd all welcome it. That's way outside my area of expertise... ;P
milon

Post by milon »

What about Visual Leak Detector? It seems to be free. But I know nothing of these programs either.
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

milon wrote:What about Visual Leak Detector? It seems to be free. But I know nothing of these programs either.
Sadly, that program only detects MEMORY leaks, and the ones I am currently worried about are MENU HANDLE leaks, which only a very few programs can find.
milon

Post by milon »

Ah, I see. :(
justincase

Post by justincase »

:idea: Perhaps this may be helpful: :arrow: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/junfeng/archive ... -leak.aspx

Maybe?
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

justincase wrote::idea: Perhaps this may be helpful: :arrow: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/junfeng/archive ... -leak.aspx

Maybe?
Sadly, no ;P

That's Kernel handles, as in, the ones exposed by kernel32.dll
The ones I need to fix are USER handles, exposed by user32.dll
There's also GDI handles, exposed by gdi32.dll but those are also not the ones I care about at the moment ;P
justincase

Post by justincase »

I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
gigaherz

Post by gigaherz »

Uhm, the title clearly says "memory leaks" ;P

Sorry, I did spend some hours looking, so I have probably seen all the best options already. If you want to surprise me, you'd have to find something that can trace user handles, specifically menu handles.
justincase

Post by justincase »

gigaherz wrote:Uhm, the title clearly says "memory leaks" ;P
Technically what it's referring to as "memory leaks" are "resource leaks", which could be a number of things, possibly including the kind of user handle leaks you're trying to plug. And if you actually read the page, it describes how to use UMDH (User Mode Dump Heap) to create a user mode stack trace database, make log files from the heap memory allocations for the process, and compare them to find out what should vs shouldn't be in the heap, and which function each leak occurred in.

Having not tried it I don't know for certain that it'll work for what you're looking at, but it sounds to me like it might do it, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't simply pass it off because the person who wrote the title decided to use a term which you assumed was meant specifically, where it could also be used as a general term.
(after all it is in fact leaking memory, even if memory is not all it's leaking, and the reason for the leak is due to unclosed user handles, rather than unnecessary (or no-longer-necessary) memory allocations)