System utilities on ROS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

alexei

System utilities on ROS

Post by alexei »

There are many system utilities that may help to verify compatibility and just help ROS developers.
For example
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... 42062.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=17657
http://nirsoft.net/
http://sourceforge.net/projects/process ... =directory
http://roadkil.net/downloads.php
http://www.autohotkey.com/ - this is a scripting engine, though it uses a lot of low level API.

I believe, for the progress of the ROS it's more important to see what doesn't work than what works.

BTW, regarding ROS explorer, you may be interested in Explorer++
https://explorerplusplus.com/download
manuel

Re: System utilities on ROS

Post by manuel »

Hi alexei, i have a question, this apps are open source license?
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

The SysInternals utilities are freeware only. So are most of the NirSoft utilities, but Nir has released source code for a few. Autohotkey and Processhacker are opensource projects, not sure about the Roadkill.
manuel

Post by manuel »

Black_Fox wrote:The SysInternals utilities are freeware only. So are most of the NirSoft utilities, but Nir has released source code for a few. Autohotkey and Processhacker are opensource projects, not sure about the Roadkill.
then not they could be integrated into reactos, truth?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

We only integrate stuff we can add to our build process.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
middings

Post by middings »

EmuandCo wrote:We only integrate stuff we can add to our build process.
I think your answer is worth adding to the FAQ (or the dev FAQ).
alexei

Post by alexei »

Are you kidding?
Didn't I say to verify compatibility?
Everybody knows Sysinternals are not open and ROS does not integrate such stuff.
I didn't advise to look at the code, but to check if these utilities work on ROS.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

Maybe they should be added to RApps.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

alexei wrote:
Are you kidding?
Didn't I say to verify compatibility?
Everybody knows Sysinternals are not open and ROS does not integrate such stuff.
I didn't advise to look at the code, but to check if these utilities work on ROS.
EmuandCo was answering to manuel, not to you.
zydon

Post by zydon »

I would like to suggest a controversial idea for ROS developers to develop a section of it's Control Panel tab able to read and install utilities from WinXP, Win2K3 and/or Win2K installation CD. That said, it also able to install drivers from those CD any driver that needed by the hardware hosting ROS.

This will allows ROS developers focus on developing highly quality core of the OS until they able to develop their own utilities and drivers replacement. It will open the possibility ROS users which is had the Windows installation CD to use NTFS file system and it's features. Probably a working USB. bluetooth and the possibility is endless!

BTW those OS is no longer supported, so to make use it's drivers and utilities in ROS will be a bonus for XP users.
middings

Post by middings »

The EULA for Sysinternals forbids third-party distribution of the software. This is typical of EULAs for Microsoft tools, including the free-to-download-from-Microsoft tools. Nirsoft may have a similar restriction on its tools.

Maybe I misunderstand. I don't see the need to put those tools into ReactOS builds that the project distributes. Anyone who wants to experiment with those tools on ReactOS can download them from their makers then copy them to a ReactOS environment. Or, one can add (slipstream) them to ones own working build for the convenience of having those tools on ones own personal ReactOS install CD. This is what I have done with Firefox 30.0. (Unfortunately ReactOS doesn't work with my hardware's network adapter, but that is for another topic elsewhere).
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

@middings: what zydon wanted to say, is a feature in ROS for you to be able to install a posteriori tools from a windows installation CD you may have. This is different from including those tools *in* a ReactOS install cd.
alexei

Post by alexei »

Anyone who wants to experiment with those tools on ReactOS
Shouldn't ROS developers and testers want to do that? ;) :)
I suggested using popular system utilities to verify ROS compatibility with MS Windows.
If you think it's a bad idea, I would like to hear why.
Best of my knowleage such utilities are not in the "tested applications" list, and I think they should be on the top.

BTW, regarding installs from MS CD, the legality of such actions may be questionable in some countries...
zydon

Post by zydon »

alexei wrote:... regarding installs from MS CD, the legality of such actions may be questionable in some countries...
I think sooner or later, it will be out of question about it when ROS adding "Add/Remove components" from it's own installation CD. Surely, some attempt will be made to visualize MS CD installation scripts from ROS to achieve a complete compatibility from it.

ps - ROS project should be redefined not as Binary compatible, but as a Core and it's Environment compatible to the NT OS.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Most of these are either language packs or value-added utilities, for the former that will be supported better than MS(automatic translations are present in MS software, whereas all our strings are translated by voulunteers and proofread) and all languages will be built into international DVD of final release(no separate download for complex scripts, MS split them not because of a platform restrictions, but because of license and competition issues), for the latter, either there exists a free equivalent or we cannot do much because of very limited availability and/or limited use cases.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2