Blog: The TODO list, collaborative edition

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

The_French_Rat

Re: Blog: The TODO list, collaborative edition

Post by The_French_Rat »

Pi_User5 wrote:I read your report. I see that you don't want it implemented right away. Is there a reason or is this because this will give time for it to be written?
It's because it will give time for Help and the docs to be written.
Just think of ReactOS as the XP beta, Whistler.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Got it!
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
danunder

Post by danunder »

A useful set of help documents is a big undertaking. The original XP help docs are frankly close to worthless: They never solved a single issue over all my years using it. I hope that any ROS doesn't dumb down their help docs like Microsoft. Updateable files would be great. There are already thousands of pages on the web with XP issues and their solutions that could be ported as needed when users come across them (though hopefully ROS actually avoids a lot of the buggyness in the first place).

For a beta release you're not going to get a flood of noob's with no idea what they are doing: Most of the people interested in an XP clone will be experienced XP users. It's been out for 13 years which is a long time to get used to its setup and quirks.

Please don't get into the microsoft/mozilla/google mindset of "don't touch this part its too complicated for you and you might break somethihng". The registry is a classic example: I could not count all the times (probably hundreds) I've had to manually change settings in the registry to fix a bug. A good guide to what's where in the registry and a fairly detailed description of shell operations would set ROS apart from all the other operating systems out there. Just because a person is inexperienced in such matters does not mean they are stupid and giving users "a peak under the hood" so to speak would be a good way to encourage more people to get into coding.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

It would be better if the docs were actually "ReactOS Internals" xD
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

hbelusca wrote:It would be better if the docs were actually "ReactOS Internals" xD
If you want to mention Alex's Book here, there was AFAIK a Chinese guy who wrote a book about the ReactOS internals.
middings

Post by middings »

The book Alex mentioned in his talk in Toronto last year is Windows core scenario analysis - the use of open source ReactOS-(Chinese Edition) by MAO DE CAO.

Another book that mentions ReactOS is Build Your Own Security Lab: A Field Guide for Network Testing by Michael Gregg.

Both are on the big on-line book seller's web site.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

BTW, isn't the weekly report/update overdue?
rembrandt

Post by rembrandt »

Webunny wrote:BTW, isn't the weekly report/update overdue?
Indeed.... my F5 key is getting worn out....
justincase

Post by justincase »

If you use Firefox you can make it check every so often and tell you when a page changes using an addon called update scanner
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-scanner/
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
mrugiero

Post by mrugiero »

justincase wrote:If you use Firefox you can make it check every so often and tell you when a page changes using an addon called update scanner
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... e-scanner/
Maybe they should add an RSS feed instead, so you can keep track of updates without any addons.
justincase

Post by justincase »

An RSS feed would also save on bandwidth as compared to refreshing the page (manually or with update scanner).
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.