First time user from Windows

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kelleygirl

First time user from Windows

Post by kelleygirl »

hello everyone,

right now I am using Windows 8.1 and am looking for a different Operating System to try out

I just need something that is user friendly for internet surfing and video downloading
is ReactOS easy in install?

do you install React on a virtual box or can you install within Windows?

thank you

Kelley
karlexceed

Re: First time user from Windows

Post by karlexceed »

Most people install ROS in a virtual machine running on top of Windows or Linux. Your question seems to presume that these things are mutually exclusive.

It's fairly easy to install if you've installed an operating system before, but that said, ROS is alpha-stage software. It may not be stable / user friendly enough for your purposes.

I suggest that you download Oracle VirtualBox and install on your Windows machine. Download http://iso.reactos.org/bootcd/bootcd-63714-rel.7z (the latest trunk build) and attach the .iso to a virtual machine in VirtualBox. Boot it up, install it and see what you think.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

You can also try to install it on your HW (PC) directly, but you'll need to be lucky to get it working. Also, don't forget it's still alpha, so it really isn't recommended to get rid of your normal OS and expect ROS to work as good (even in VM). So, unless for testing purposes, I really would not recommend ROS (for everyday use).

If you don't mind VM, I think it's best to use a VM, indeed.

However, if you want to test it and have a spare PC for it, you're most welcome, since there aren't all that many RH-testers out there.
Last edited by Webunny on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
kelleygirl

Post by kelleygirl »

Thank you for your replies

Sounds like ReactOS might not be right for my needs then

Is there maybe another OS that would fit my needs that I can try??
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

My first reaction would be to point you toward Linux; specifically Ubuntu or two of it's similar derivatives, elementaryOS and ZorinOS.

I personally use Ubuntu as my main OS, and it's been great for me for years now. I have never found it lacking in terms of being able to do what I need on a daily basis.

elementaryOS is pretty enough to make Apple users jealous. I run it on a laptop and have enjoyed it quite a bit. It's similar in a lot of ways to OSX, but I argue it's more user-friendly.

Zorin is made to make Linux as easy as possible for new Windows converts. After their laptop crashed, I installed it on my folks' laptop and have heard nothing but praise from them after about a week of getting familiar with it. I've found it to work quite well.

So, Google them and check it out! I'd be curious as to what you end up choosing.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Try Windows XP, a real o/s!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
rachid

Post by rachid »

I have been using Ubuntu, for about a year and its good.
Now am using linuxmint (based on Ubuntu) for 2 years and its realy awesome.
Waiting for reactos ofcourse :)
dizt3mp3r

KDE Ubuntu

Post by dizt3mp3r »

In truth, I use two main o/s for my desktop systems, Windows XP, properly secured and Kubuntu, Ubuntu with KDE, the perfect match as it allows for plasmoid desktop widgets.

My KDE desktop [ external image ]

It might convince you to go that way as you can customise it as much as you require. The integration of QT base widgets is the reason I use Kubuntu. http://www.kubuntu.org/
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
i use 2 OS windows XP Pro + pclinuxos KDE MinMe
ReactOS 0.3.16 is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.
dgosborn2

Post by dgosborn2 »

Most linux distributions are based on Debian and as far as I am aware Debian has the largest respository (catalog of free software).
Other "mainstream" distributions are Suse, fedora (redhat), Ubuntu. If you are going to use any of them I would just go with Debian.
Others you might want to try are Puppy linux, Pinguy, PC-linux os, knoppix.

Puppy linux is small and fast while having a large number of well chosen apps built in. I suggest puppy linux "slacko" version.
Koppix is big and still pretty fast with a huge quantity of well chosen apps.
Pinguy and PC-linux OS are both mid-sized and fairly well thought distros but they don't offer enough over debian to be worth while. The thing about debian is the HUGE user base and support. That said, puppy and knoppix have very loyal followings. I think in the end you will probably settle for puppy or knoppix.

Note: in most linux distributions if you want to add some free software you need to find and run "synaptic" A few distributions do not include synaptic by default so just find whatever software manager they have and use it to install synaptic.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

dgosborn2 - Puppy and Knoppix are both distros made to be lightweight, which if kelleygirl is running Windows 8.1 currently, distro size / memory footprint are likely not issues for her. Also, having used both, I find them frustrating to configure, disappointing in terms of features, and definitely not the right fit for a first-time Linux user.

Also, Ubuntu is based on Debian; and in my experience with the vanilla Debian distro, I've seen issues with hardware compatability - especially on laptops.

All in all, I stand by my standard recommendation of Ubuntu or it's derivatives for a first-time Linux user.

P.S. Pinguy is also based on Ubuntu, and PCLinuxOS is based on Mandriva/Mandrake :geek:
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Ubuntu derivative - I agree but not Ubuntu itself, not with that awful GUI.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

Lol, that's funny because I actually like Unity and really dislike KDE. I was skeptical when they first moved away from GNOME, but now I'm glad they did - I have a Vista-era laptop that runs x64 Ubuntu 14.04 with Unity like a dream, but will not run GNOME 3 included in the latest vanilla Debian.
rachid

Post by rachid »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Ubuntu derivative - I agree but not Ubuntu itself, not with that awful GUI.
++
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

karlexceed wrote:Lol, that's funny because I actually like Unity and really dislike KDE. I was skeptical when they first moved away from GNOME, but now I'm glad they did - I have a Vista-era laptop that runs x64 Ubuntu 14.04 with Unity like a dream, but will not run GNOME 3 included in the latest vanilla Debian.
There is no debating taste, as is proven once again. A lot of posters have been over this so many times by now, about what iconset etc. Nobody agrees with everyone else. In fact, some of it have polar opposite ideas about some iconsets. there is no way to actually come to any kind of a conclusion, since it's so inherently subjective in nature. what is old and ugly for one, is retro and cool for the other. What is crisp-clear and artsy for one, is awful glossy and bad taste for theother. Etc.

If one would like to come to any sort of conclusion (for the RCE for instance) I think one can only settle this by a 'democratic vote', like with the wallpapers. But far from me of making something like that myself, or I'll get scolded by Vic again :P .

Speaking of the wallpapers, I note that many here have not voted yet! C'mon, let's be a bit more enthusiastic! For those on vacation, I'll leave it up a while longer, but for those that are already here: make a vote!

viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13466