Ptlease Stop cuttinornters.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jessey

Ptlease Stop cuttinornters.

Post by Jessey »

Am I the only one who is tired of reactos cutting corners just to save some blasted compileing time when their newest builds ship dead on arival becuase they were lazy and not inculded winegeko out of the box. reactos does not work with the guest add ons so there is no way to share folders and get the geko msi file to install. Am I the only one who is pissed about this.
gonzoMD

Re: Ptlease Stop cuttinornters.

Post by gonzoMD »

Jessey wrote:Am I the only one who is tired of reactos cutting corners just to save some blasted compileing time when their newest builds ship dead on arival becuase they were lazy and not inculded winegeko out of the box. reactos does not work with the guest add ons so there is no way to share folders and get the geko msi file to install. Am I the only one who is pissed about this.
1st: The gecko bug is fixed
2nd: put your stuff to a cd image and mount it to your VM
3rd: you can also use USB sticks to share data
4th: It's not because compiling time but because of storage
5th: you could also build your own installation iso with gecko
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well. Number one. Be careful with your language. If you can't express your thoughts without swearing, then I suggest you to just shut up. Number two. Reactos plans to be a minimal distribution. If you need other stuff, feel free to add it or make your own distribution.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:Well. Number one. Be careful with your language. If you can't express your thoughts without swearing, then I suggest you to just shut up. Number two. Reactos plans to be a minimal distribution. If you need other stuff, feel free to add it or make your own distribution.
I thought it more to be spelling-mistakes due to hasty typing due to his frustration. 8-)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Well. Read the other posts he made in here in that short time and say again that you still believe that ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

EmuandCo wrote:Well. Read the other posts he made in here in that short time and say again that you still believe that ^^
"Ptlease Stop cuttinornters." sounds more like someone either uncaring, incapable or unwilling to use correct spelling, rather than an insult, though. ;)
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Webunny wrote:
EmuandCo wrote:Well. Read the other posts he made in here in that short time and say again that you still believe that ^^
"Ptlease Stop cuttinornters." sounds more like someone either uncaring, incapable or unwilling to use correct spelling, rather than an insult, though. ;)
"I'm the only one tired", "just to save compiling time", "because they were lazy", ...
For me those look like as unrespectful comments. The latest one is even an insult. And the whole paragraph doesnt make sense at all:
No, we're not cutting corners to save compiling time. So I dont know where he has heard about it.
gordon451

Post by gordon451 »

The cutt nornter has made a lasting favourable impression on me :)

I've just finished (?) learning how to work with VMs, and a debug as well, and to my surprise and absolute delight the installer asked me if it could visit some place not on my box and organise freight, delivery and installation of the Gecko package! :D

Now this is in line with something I mentioned some time ago, that a possible ROS-Lite fork could look at my box, see what hardware I had, and offer to go and get the latest drivers if available. 8-)

Maybe such a fork could also ask me what options I wanted, and simply down-load them at install time?

But keep cuttinornters!!!! :)

Gordon.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:
Webunny wrote:
"I'm the only one tired", "just to save compiling time", "because they were lazy", ...
For me those look like as unrespectful comments. The latest one is even an insult. And the whole paragraph doesnt make sense at all:
No, we're not cutting corners to save compiling time. So I dont know where he has heard about it.
Ah, 'respectful'... it's an opinion. A diverging or mistaken opinion can come over as disrespectful, granted, but one has to be honest here: while the author didn't make any effort in being diplomatic, that's not only his prerogative. Many more posters, including devs/PR have not always been very diplomatic in their posts or answers, let's face it.

The only part that was really disrespectful was the 'lazy' part. The rest can be seen as a mistaken opinion. "Am I the only one" was in question-form, so you could answer that by yes or no. :lol: "To save compiling" might be a mistaken opinion, but isn't disrespectful on itself.

Of course, I'm well aware he's not doing any effort of being more diplomatic about it, I'm not naive. But one can regard it as a tantrum of a person who got frustrated. It's nothing to get riled up about on itself.

Can anyone say he's never been a bit disappointed by some element that doesn't work in ROS, even after several years? Can one honestly say the development-time hasn't been huge, long and torturous, while the result after all these years is still an alpha? I would say this is understandable. Yes, it's not easy to replicate an OS. But the same can be said about haiku and some other alternative OS'es, and frankly, they make more progress. Even Linux which started from scratch has had more progress: in ten years time, it grew from nothing into a fully matured OS. ReactOS was born in the beginning of 1998. After 16 years, we're still alpha. Those are facts. I'm not trying to be negative about it, since I like the ROS project, but one has to face the reality of the matter too, and the fact that that can lead to disappointments, dissatisfaction and frustration. If you want to be professional about it, you have to accept that and deal with it (diplomatically) . Even I had some frustration now and then, the latest being the humongous ridiculous time it took to just get a few navigation buttons on the site which I translated.

The real issue, however, is basically one of perception and too positive expectations. If you think about ROS as something that can actually be useful in any meaningful way, you're bound to get some frustration. If, however, you merely see it as a test-object to tinker with, it doesn't fall below your expectations. Being in 'alpha' stage should make this clear, but it doesn't. Well, it does, but only to IT'ers or IT-minded people. People just coming here - say, because they saw ROS mentioned on a site of alternative OSes - don't actually realise this, EVEN if they noted that it was described as alpha (which doesn't always happen in the first place). So they think: "Oh, an alternative OS I never heard about but which can replace my Windows? Great!" Only to find it borks every time on their machines. VM and all that doesn't cut it with that public, because they are no ITers or even IT-minded, they don't have any interest in testing, etc. They come here to find something useful, and thus they are disappointed. Because let's face it, ROS still doesn't work in about 60-80% of the cases on random real hardware.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Since this thread doesnt have a valid question to be answered, I am closing it.
I've noted down the suggestion of not cuting corners to share it in the next ReactOS meeting.
Otherwise this thread will end derailed for sure from the original suggestio/question.
Thanks!