NTFS - R65317

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

NTFS - R65317

Post by oldman » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:42 pm

I have tried revision 65317 livecd with my Dell Latitude laptop, and I am impressed! The laptop is installed with Windows XP pro in a NTFS partition.
It lists the files on the partition, but I have noticed that some files have two entries instead of the one. I have tried to run a few apps, but they fail.

In the following image I have tried to run MWSnap.exe, and you can see that it has given a ERROR_BAD_EXE_FORMAT error; I also get the same error when trying to run Ros Spider solitaire. Note the duplicate files.

In this next image I have tried running the Gimp, but that failed when it could not write to the DVD disc. You can see more duplicate files in the gimp folder, in this image.

Note: The boot process failed when I had a usb mouse attached.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - with some complementary scripts.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: NTFS - R65317

Post by vicmarcal » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:49 pm

Yup. The duplicated entries seems to be a bug in the short vs long form name handling. Heiss knows about the issue.
NTFS is greenish and well, we can just expect a basic minimum until Heiss strikes again with some patches. :)

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:44 pm

I know that NTFS support is very early, but every time I double click to open the drive, I get a BSOD on real hardware. In virtual Box I can open the drive but when I try to open anything else I get a BSOD.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:39 pm

NTFS and storage stack are under heavy development right now. This will be fixed for sure in near future
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

ctasan

Post by ctasan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Did you format partition with XP setup and NTFS, then install ROS with "no changes" option?

Anyway, we are adding kernel mode NTFS support. Impressing work!

Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:15 pm

Did you format partition with XP setup and NTFS, then install ROS with "no changes" option?

Yes I did.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

oldman

Post by oldman » Tue Nov 11, 2014 5:56 pm

ctasan wrote:Did you format partition with XP setup and NTFS, then install ROS with "no changes" option?
I used a livecd, because I do not want to install Ros on this computer. The native installation is Windows XP PRO.
Please keep the Windows classic (9x/2000) look and feel.
The layman's guides to - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - with some complementary scripts.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.