[ANNOUNCEMENT] ReactOS as a second OS in Russian government

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] ReactOS as a second OS in Russian governm

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You can't sue for basic layout - if so, everyone would be in litigation with each other. MS would suffer just as much as anyone.

It wouldn't matter anyway as what you are stating is just the result of a GUI. It could be changed quite easily and still retain binary compatibility. Then a Windows classic 'look and feel' would be released as a theme. That's the good thing about ReactOS. It is open.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
assembly54

Post by assembly54 »

R A V E N wrote:I dislike this news.

ReactOS is going to be drawn into political battle between USA and Russia (Microsoft vs. ReactOS Foundation). Politics is generally quite nasty thing.
I don't think this is bad news. But you're right it could go political. ReactOS whose goal is binary compatibility with Windows might force MS to lobby the US government. Oh well they can always fall back to Rosa for client and Sailfish for mobile.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

As much I like political discussion.... This will not become a problem. ReactOS is not doing any politics nor have any standpoint in this discussion. So no problem here.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
j.rohr

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] ReactOS as a second OS in Russian government

Post by j.rohr »

So nothing has come out of this. All the fuzz was about the mention of reactos in the minutes of a hearing held by the telecommunications ministry, not even about any real decision made by the Russian government. So there was no there there to begin with. And in November of the very same year, the Russian ReactOS foundation was dissolved.

But the whole lobbying effort in Russia was something I was deeply skeptical about and I don't think it has served ReactOS well. The longest meeting, Alexey Bragin seems to have had with a Russian politician was with the "black colonel" Viktor Alksnis in 2007, a nationalist hardliner who at that time represented the Rodina party in the State Duma, which has been described as right-wing extremist. FOSS projects are by their very nature international, cosmopolitan. Sure, this was an opportunistic move, but it squarely went against all the values a project such as ReactOS stands for in my view, and I think it has tainted its public perception without giving it any benefit.
Last edited by j.rohr on Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

j.rohr wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 am it squarely went against all the values a project such as ReactOS stands for in my view,
How so? It seems to me to be perfectly natural for a small project to pursue funding and publicity where it can.

So much of the criticism here is just about Russia itself. If this were almost any other country it wouldn't be an issue at all. "ReactOS discussed in Thai National Assembly." "Oh, cool."
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

All publicity is good publicity.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

Hello!

We're doing some necroposting there... :lol: but I noticed you have fixed and clarified some facts in the ReactOS Wikipedia article and in the ReactOS internal wiki as well. Big thanks for that!
j.rohr wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 am I think it has tainted its public perception without giving it any benefit.
Yeah some people here in Russia still blame ReactOS for these lobbying attempts, even if it did not gained any financial profit. I hope the information you found will help to change their opinions on the project.
Ancient

Post by Ancient »

There is not anything obviously Russian about ReactOS imo, as it's development if anything is too slow. :)

No rushing!

Please forgive my humor the joke was just there staring at me.
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

Ancient wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:48 am There is not anything obviously Russian about ReactOS imo, as it's development if anything is too slow. :)

No rushing!

Please forgive my humor the joke was just there staring at me.
Oof, that made me cringe so hard.
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
j.rohr

Post by j.rohr »

karlexceed wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:10 pm
j.rohr wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 am it squarely went against all the values a project such as ReactOS stands for in my view,
How so? It seems to me to be perfectly natural for a small project to pursue funding and publicity where it can.

So much of the criticism here is just about Russia itself. If this were almost any other country it wouldn't be an issue at all. "ReactOS discussed in Thai National Assembly." "Oh, cool."
It hasn't been discussed in Russia's federal parliament. There was a hearing held by the Minsvyaz and we have the minutes of that meeting. Not a very high level, it seems to me, and nothing has come out of it. Yeah, there have been those two demonstrations to Medvedev and Putin, but the official press release by the Kremlin on Medvedev's visit to the school doesn't even mention it, unless I have overlooked something. It seems that they just hijacked the occasion and maybe got Medvedev to look at a screen with ReactOS on it for a minute or two and that was that.

Principally, I laud the idea of reducing your dependency on (foreign or domestic) proprietary software vendors by supporting FOSS development! (I have actually been dreaming of converting my friends in Russia to move to Linux and LibreOffice for many years) And if the BRICS countries would be leading this effort, great!

But not at any cost. When your first and longest meeting is with a nationalist nutjob, then there is something wrong. Don't you agree? Or do you think there is no limit? What about meeting Eduard Limonov, btw, would you approve of that?

Also, today, where internet censorship is ever tightening in Russia and serious discussions are held in the Duma about disconnecting Russia from the global internet, Chinese style, the Russian government would be a very odd ally for software freedom. I think there would be a direct conflict of values, don't you agree?
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

j.rohr wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:49 am When your first and longest meeting is with a nationalist nutjob, then there is something wrong. Don't you agree? Or do you think there is no limit?
I agree that there are certain people around the world that I'd rather not have associated with the ReactOS project, but there are also certain realities that cannot be escaped. Such as working with people in your own country's government whom you may not agree with.

From Wikipedia, "In 2007, Alksnis launched a campaign to promote the use of Free Software such as the Linux operating system in Russian state institutions to secure software independence." Now, imagine a similar situation in the US - some nationalist politician starts promoting free software as a way to limit reliance on foreign software developers; maybe they decide to start giving out grant money. If I were a representative of a free software project, I have a choice. I can put my politics aside in order to have a chance to secure some of that funding, or I can decide that the money isn't worth working with someone whom I disagree with.

If I accept the money, it can be seen as agreeing with them. But in the broader view, this money will also be used to help others who will use the project for different reasons. And I'm not saying there's a right or wrong answer here, just that a meeting does not mean that both sides agree with each other on everything.

There's also the fact that ReactOS is not a Russian project, but an international one, which makes it a bit odd for any nationalist to support. And, as has been stated, this meeting was over a decade ago and resulted in nothing.
j.rohr wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:49 am Also, today, where internet censorship is ever tightening in Russia and serious discussions are held in the Duma about disconnecting Russia from the global internet, Chinese style, the Russian government would be a very odd ally for software freedom. I think there would be a direct conflict of values, don't you agree?
Yes, I agree. I don't want ReactOS to be associated with that at all.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

j.rohr wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 am So nothing has come out of this. All the fuzz was about the mention of reactos in the minutes of a hearing held by the telecommunications ministry, not even about any real decision made by the Russian government. So there was no there there to begin with. And in November of the very same year, the Russian ReactOS foundation was dissolved.

But the whole lobbying effort in Russia was something I was deeply skeptical about and I don't think it has served ReactOS well. The longest meeting, Alexey Bragin seems to have had with a Russian politician was with the "black colonel" Alexey Bragin in 2007, a nationalist hardliner who at that time represented the Rodina party in the State Duma, which has been described as right-wing extremist. FOSS projects are by their very nature international, cosmopolitan. Sure, this was an opportunistic move, but it squarely went against all the values a project such as ReactOS stands for in my view, and I think it has tainted its public perception without giving it any benefit.
Interesting... I never knew that the Russian foundation was dissolved... You are talking to the Vice President of the German Association here and thus I claim you as being a LIAR! A nobody comes by and claims such bullcrap outta nowhere... a NOBODY comes by, fires some Russia bashing + not even is able to write a name correctly and claims our coordinator to be a nationalist hardliner. Sources? Naaah, what for?! Calling someone being a right wing nazi makes ppl believe that shit anyways... NOPE THIS IS NOT THE CASE! Sadly we are not in STUPID GERMANY HERE! There this might work, but in here you only one get one thing for that! 1x perma ban for j.rohr. Good bye!

BACK TO TOPIC and if noone has something useful to say giving the thread necro by our liar and sad excuse of a community member aka j.rohr a reason he should be silent.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

@EmuandCo: I know that some time ago, Aleksey told me that some administrative stuff for renewing the ROS foundation in Russia had not been done. You can ask him for more details if you wish.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Even if that is correct... (I still don't know and if that's the case I might become MAD...) The liar claim still is there. Calling someone right wing hardliner just because he is a proud Russian is bollocks only a german can say. Germany... the only country you can become "criminal" subject beause you are publicly proud being compatriot of.

binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

j.rohr wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 am The longest meeting, Alexey Bragin seems to have had with a Russian politician was with the "black colonel" Alexey Bragin in 2007, a nationalist hardliner...
I think there is a typo, the second person mentioned is Viktor Alksnis. :roll: