[ANNOUNCEMENT] ReactOS as a second OS in Russian government

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

[ANNOUNCEMENT] ReactOS as a second OS in Russian government

Post by vicmarcal »

The ReactOS Foundation is proud to share this amazing news: The Russian Goverment seems to have been attracted by two ReactOS projects. A ReactOS Desktop and a Server edition.
You can read the official and serious press release in the following link: https://reactos.org/node/946
However, let me highlight how cool and awesome this news is. It shows how ReactOS is attractive enough for Governments as a Windows replacement even if they are using Linux as the Russian Government is. Also, it's a proof about how much the Operating System has evolved during the last years thanks to you and the rest of the awesome Community, from Developers to Testers and casual Forum guys.

We ranked #2 but that was the best position any project really could get in this category because #1 is always for the Linux Consortium which maintains the Russian Linux Distro. A lot of great projects have not been selected, but we will try to help them as much as possible offering them collaborations and creating cool synergies.

Please, share the news from:
Slashdot: http://slashdot.org/submission/4539257/ ... dom-effort
Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/co ... n_russian/
Hacker News: https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=9743959

So we can make the world know about it!
ctasan

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] ReactOS as a second OS in Russian governm

Post by ctasan »

Is that means ReactOS will gain financial support, new developers or wider community?

Anyway, it's great!
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Is that means ReactOS will gain financial support, new developers or wider community?

Anyway, it's great!
Hopefully new developers and most certainly a wider community. Not sure about the financial support. We can all hope that we do get financial support.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
nicoalta01

Post by nicoalta01 »

ReactOS server 2015 ahahhahah a
But it's good
Admin on Facebook Page ReactOS Italy http://www.facebook.com/ireactos
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Server OS? We need to switch NT 6.x kernel first!
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

ctasan wrote:Server OS? We need to switch NT 6.x kernel first!
Why? Server components work on NT5 too ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Konata

Post by Konata »

I agree with this, I already expressed my concern earlier over ReactOS's account system. I know it's like NT 5's for compatibility sake, but I'd think it might be a better option to make it more like NT 6's account system and just allow the user to log in to User 0 if they really need to.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

EmuandCo wrote:
Why? Server components work on NT5 too ^^
Konata wrote: I agree with this, I already expressed my concern earlier over ReactOS's account system. I know it's like NT 5's for compatibility sake, but I'd think it might be a better option to make it more like NT 6's account system and just allow the user to log in to User 0 if they really need to.
Sorry, it's my fault, I couldn't describe my idea properly :( Server OS is second priority, we first need to switch NT 6.x kernel and fix our kernel/Win32 subsystem.
middings

Post by middings »

"...we first need to..."

I think the developers and other code contributors know best about the path of the ReactOS project. They certainly cast the only votes that matter.

"Talk is cheap. Show me the code."--Linus Torvalds
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

IMHO, the reason for not migrating to NT6 is not "we don't want to", rather it's "we first need to finish NT5, otherwise we will get half-NT5-half-NT6 frankenkernel which wouldn't help anyone".
Also, it's very difficult to do this kind of thing.

As for the topic, big congratulations to the foundation and all people involved! :-) I, too, am interested what implications does this have for ROS project. Hopefully there's not too much red tape (bureaucracy/papework) incoming.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Perhaps the development will quicken with more coders? Perhaps version 1.0 will be reached sooner? :?:
:geek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

tomleem wrote:Perhaps the development will quicken with more coders? Perhaps version 1.0 will be reached sooner? :?:
:geek:
We can all hope. :D
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
middings

Post by middings »

Hatch eggs first. Count chickens afterward.
R A V E N

Post by R A V E N »

I dislike this news.

ReactOS is going to be drawn into political battle between USA and Russia (Microsoft vs. ReactOS Foundation). Politics is generally quite nasty thing.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I don't see that as political. I see it as promising. That means they might be willing to send grants...