[ANNOUNCEMENT] ReactOS as a second OS in Russian government

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] ReactOS as a second OS in Russian government

Post by EmuandCo »

Oh come on! Yeah yeah. Fun brake binarymaster saved j.rohr... ^^ (And I have to say -> SORRY <- to j.rohr then. Quite new that I have to do that, but even in that case I won't claim to be right just because I am SOME MOD HERE :twisted: )

ANYWAYS!! My claim regarding germany still is RIGHT! Lets ban Germany then! :P
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Lol, Emuandco. This reads like you plan to vote for a Bavarexit. :D But I partially share your opinion.
TiKu

Post by TiKu »

EmuandCo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 pmGermany... the only country you can become "criminal" subject beause you are publicly proud being compatriot of.
That's not true! Or do you want to say that glorifying the Nazi regime and denying the holocaust is being "publicly proud being compatriot of"? Because that's the only thing that right-wings have to deal with here, but not in other countries. It is interesting that right-wings seek acceptance and don't want to be linked to the Nazi regime, but on the other hand not only fail to put distance between the Nazi regime and themselves, but also very often glorify it.
I'm a proud German myself. I can say it in public without being criminalized. But I'm not proud of the Nazi regime, the holocaust, the AfD (Gauland is an economic refugee himself by the way, now he is hunting them), all those Nazis that blobbed up in Chemnitz last year...
j.rohr

Post by j.rohr »

binarymaster wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:52 pm
j.rohr wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 am The longest meeting, Alexey Bragin seems to have had with a Russian politician was with the "black colonel" Alexey Bragin in 2007, a nationalist hardliner...
I think there is a typo, the second person mentioned is Viktor Alksnis. :roll:
Yes, how embarrassing...
j.rohr

Post by j.rohr »

EmuandCo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:19 pm
j.rohr wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:02 am So nothing has come out of this. All the fuzz was about the mention of reactos in the minutes of a hearing held by the telecommunications ministry, not even about any real decision made by the Russian government. So there was no there there to begin with. And in November of the very same year, the Russian ReactOS foundation was dissolved.

But the whole lobbying effort in Russia was something I was deeply skeptical about and I don't think it has served ReactOS well. The longest meeting, Alexey Bragin seems to have had with a Russian politician was with the "black colonel" Alexey Bragin in 2007, a nationalist hardliner who at that time represented the Rodina party in the State Duma, which has been described as right-wing extremist. FOSS projects are by their very nature international, cosmopolitan. Sure, this was an opportunistic move, but it squarely went against all the values a project such as ReactOS stands for in my view, and I think it has tainted its public perception without giving it any benefit.
Interesting... I never knew that the Russian foundation was dissolved...
Well, they have been removed from the register of organisations 09.11.2015, see https://egrulinfo.com/8583363/ :

Информация о ликвидации компании

Организация ликвидирована 09.11.2015 по причине:
«Ликвидация юридического лица по решению суда»
Номер записи в реестре
Код прекращения деятельности
Регистратор ликвидации
Управление Федеральной налоговой службы по Республике Мордовия
Код отделения НО
j.rohr

Post by j.rohr »

EmuandCo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 pm Even if that is correct... (I still don't know and if that's the case I might become MAD...)
Well, that's what EGRUL says in no uncertain terms: https://egrulinfo.com/8583363/
EmuandCo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 pm The liar claim still is there. Calling someone right wing hardliner just because he is a proud Russian is bollocks only a german can say. Germany... the only country you can become "criminal" subject beause you are publicly proud being compatriot of.
The claim that Viktor Alksnis is a "right wing hardliner" is really not controversial. He has been representing Rodina, which I think best compares to the Front National, the AfD or the UK independence partyl.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

Why everyone is afraid of the Russia influence on the Internet and "Network Rights".
It's crazy this propaganda against Russia, when you see the US government and the European Union clearly made the same as Russia and sometimes worst.

Of course, I don't speak about "Human Rights", it is another problem.
Last edited by shunesburg on Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

TiKu wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:15 am
EmuandCo wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 pmGermany... the only country you can become "criminal" subject beause you are publicly proud being compatriot of.
That's not true! Or do you want to say that glorifying the Nazi regime and denying the holocaust is being "publicly proud being compatriot of"? Because that's the only thing that right-wings have to deal with here, but not in other countries. It is interesting that right-wings seek acceptance and don't want to be linked to the Nazi regime, but on the other hand not only fail to put distance between the Nazi regime and themselves, but also very often glorify it.
I'm a proud German myself. I can say it in public without being criminalized. But I'm not proud of the Nazi regime, the holocaust, the AfD (Gauland is an economic refugee himself by the way, now he is hunting them), all those Nazis that blobbed up in Chemnitz last year...
We can talk about that somewhere else. I don't wanna fuel up the fire even more that I caused here ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Teresa May.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
j.rohr

Post by j.rohr »

shunesburg wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:35 pm Why everyone is afraid of the Russia influence on the Internet and "Network Rights".
It's crazy this propaganda against Russia, when you see the US government and the European Union clearly made the same as Russia and sometimes worst.

That's because Internet censorship is getting worse and worse in Russia, the list of blacklisted sites is growing every day, also there are, AFAIK legal restriction of VPN which is used to circumvent censorship, and plans are being pondered to disconnect Russia from the global internet, something my friends in Russia are really worried about. You can say a lot of bad things about western states, but not that they have comparable levels of censorship.
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

j.rohr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:52 pm
shunesburg wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:35 pm Why everyone is afraid of the Russia influence on the Internet and "Network Rights".

That's because Internet censorship is getting worse and worse in Russia, the list of blacklisted sites is growing every day, also there are, AFAIK legal restriction of VPN which is used to circumvent censorship, and plans are being pondered to disconnect Russia from the global internet, something my friends in Russia are really worried about. You can say a lot of bad things about western states, but not that they have comparable levels of censorship.
I know the Russia made bad things, but why always pointed on it?
It's not an isolate case and it is not the worst : North Korea, Saudi Arabia, Iran, China, Cuba…
And Western states made the same too, but not for the same reasons (Russia for control everything, US for money and spying). When you see the "Project Prism", the "Patriot Act", the duration of "Copyright" more and more expanded, the censorship, the discrimination of foreigner software (Kaspersky was blocked, some other software uninstalled by W10, but Microsoft turn around after legal proceeding), the US powerful lobbies in the world…

The only neutral country is Switzerland ;-) (it's a WWII joke of course)
j.rohr

Post by j.rohr »

A draft law just passed the second reading today in the State Duma about the isolation of the Russian internet. So, reasons to worry are pretty real today. Wouldn't you agree that this is worrisome?
shunesburg

Post by shunesburg »

It's not a bad thing for them. It's a security, if the Internet is cut, because of sanction, war, weather, or another big trouble, their connection to the Internet could be usable without need of outside help, and with a total independence.
The real problem with that project is the censorship, but currently there is already censorship, then no big deal.
And for information, in the beginning, the Internet was Arpanet an independent Network for US Army, open to the world for ease.
j.rohr

Post by j.rohr »

shunesburg wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:35 pm It's not a bad thing for them. It's a security, if the Internet is cut, because of sanction, war, weather, or another big trouble, their connection to the Internet could be usable without need of outside help, and with a total independence.
The real problem with that project is the censorship, but currently there is already censorship, then no big deal.
And for information, in the beginning, the Internet was Arpanet an independent Network for US Army, open to the world for ease.
Actually, today it is still pretty easy to circumvent the censorship and the attempts to block services, like Telegram, ended in total disaster. But I am afraid, this law might usher in a change, although the change will not come all at once but piecemeal, just as all civil liberties have been slowly eroding away for the last 15 years or so. I'm happy if I am wrong, though. I assume that the idea is to come to something like the Chinese great firewall. It won't be easy to get there and I hope they won't. But I guess they will try. Because the internet is the one space where freedom of expression is still relatively possible and where dissent is still common.
bobbykennedy

Post by bobbykennedy »

j.rohr wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:25 pm Because the internet is the one space where freedom of expression is still relatively possible and where dissent is still common.
This is generally true provided that you own the domain, pay for the web hosting, and live in a country that won't disappear you for typing something critical about your government. Where most internet traffic (i.e., the masses) is consolidated now is in a few US-based corporate data-mining websites called "social media networks" like Facebook, Twitter, YouTube et al., where there is an increasingly narrower range of acceptable dissent, which is a natural consequence of having every politician now using them (George Bush didn't use MySpace) compounded with the increasing political and economic instabilities in the West. Much of these corporate sites are also infected with psychological operations by US/NATO military intelligence agencies and corporations who are partnered with them.