(Poll) Change new NTVDM icon

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Which one you want the NTVDM icon.

Poll ended at Mon Oct 19, 2015 3:18 pm

Current
48%
New
52%

Total votes: 21

justincase

Re: (Poll) Change new NTVDM icon

Post by justincase »

Konata wrote:... well, the current icon looks like a child drew it.
I disagree.
(Sorry it's so big & blurry, I borrowed it from henrytang5247)
[ external image ]
See all those straight lines? Show me a kid who draws with straight lines. ;)
Konata wrote:It's not "retro"
Uh, yeah it is.
Perhaps it's before your time, but that's a fairly decent approximation to a style harkening all the way back to Windows 1.0. Don't trust me? Check out how similar the those 5¼ floppy drives are to the drive icons in this screenshot:
[ external image ]
Konata wrote:... all in all, consistency is what's important...
And once again, I disagree.
Yes it's important for an operating system's icon set to be fairly uniform, but NTVDM is not only a different subsystem, which modern programs should never touch, but it's actually a whole system unto itself, a complete computer, entirely separate in both design and implementation from the rest of the OS*.
I think NTVDM's icon and visual styling should reflect it's (virtual) age.

* Yes I realize NTVDM and ReactOS do tie into each other in a couple of ways in order to make it easy to double-click a DOS program and so that DOS programs can call Windows programs (and vice-versa), but that stuff isn't necessary, it could be pulled out and ReactOS and NTVDM could stand entirely separate from each other and still be considered complete. So while the ease of use facilitated by these tie-ins are, in part, why ReactOS has NTVDM (otherwise you may as well use DosBOX) I still say they're separate enough for different styles to be (in my opinion) not only allowable, but preferred.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

So... would anyone please mind to create a new non-blurry screenshot with the new icon so that we can actually compare them in the context of their surrounding environment?
henrytang5247

Post by henrytang5247 »

[ external image ]

Fixed blurry screenshot...
Hi I am Henry. I often make Chinese and Malay translation and icons for ReactOS. I also a ReactOS Community Youtube Channel Manager.
[ external image ] [ external image ]
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

Has anybody compared my icon to the original one? :)

We should also create the JIRA ticket.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
henrytang5247

Post by henrytang5247 »

Hi I am Henry. I often make Chinese and Malay translation and icons for ReactOS. I also a ReactOS Community Youtube Channel Manager.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Thanks for the updated screenshot, that helped a lot. Based on available screenshots my vote goes to the new icon.

@Jared: Your icon is much sharper/crisper and I prefer it.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

I uploaded my version to the JIRA ticket.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
henrytang5247

Post by henrytang5247 »

This is Jared version.

[ external image ]
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

Looking pretty good. Nice work on the pixel pushing, Jared!
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
justincase

Post by justincase »

Yeah, Pi_User5's mild cleanup looks much clearer than henrytang5247's. I like it better, but I still think hbelusca's is the best.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

The icons were committed in r72712 and r73082. Thanks to you all!
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Now all we need is a new Recycling Bin icon and everything will be perfect.
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

I don't particularly dislike the original Tango trashcan. But if someone can come up with something better, go ahead and post mock-ups in JIRA.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I don't like the green color, to be honest. Maybe we can replicate the Windows 2000 recycling bin icon, as I liked how that looked. It doesn't have to be transparent, like it was in XP, as that usually costs a little more in resources anyways.
dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:I don't like the green color, to be honest. Maybe we can replicate the Windows 2000 recycling bin icon, as I liked how that looked. It doesn't have to be transparent, like it was in XP, as that usually costs a little more in resources anyways.
You do realize EVERY 32-bit Tango icon has partial transparency, and how much of it used in blending is COMPLETELY irrelevant, since it's a square matrix operation?! Every icon you see in the interface is blended according to display's colour scheme, not the one taken from icon (it's actually up-converted if its bit depth is mismatched, adding overhead to drawing operations)! Hence, the icon can be of any shape and design.