Is it possible to create a ReactOS Install Floppy?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

MugenFighter

Is it possible to create a ReactOS Install Floppy?

Post by MugenFighter »

I have a friend who loves all things floppy disk, who I wanted to make it for.
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Is it possible to create a ReactOS Install Floppy?

Post by EmuandCo »

Hmmm... Floppy = 1.44 MB, ROS about 100 MB... nope
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Konata

Post by Konata »

Even if you could...

[ external image ]
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

Konata wrote:Even if you could...

(pic)
Is that real?
I'm a MugenFighter, but not the one you are thinking about. I'm actually MugenFighterTube. Now don't ask about MugenFighter's characters.
henrytang5247

Post by henrytang5247 »

I think Zip drive will be possible to create ReactOS Installer.
Hi I am Henry. I often make Chinese and Malay translation and icons for ReactOS. I also a ReactOS Community Youtube Channel Manager.
[ external image ] [ external image ]
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Not necessarily install floppys, but a boot floppy would be useful. You would just need 1 floppy with bootsector suitable for booting freeldr.sys; a suitable freeldr.ini, maybe one-two drivers (for CD drive) and that's all (it's basically what the windows boot floppys have).
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

hbelusca wrote:Not necessarily install floppys, but a boot floppy would be useful. You would just need 1 floppy with bootsector suitable for booting freeldr.sys; a suitable freeldr.ini, maybe one-two drivers (for CD drive) and that's all (it's basically what the windows boot floppys have).
Is it possible to do that now?
manuel

Post by manuel »

EmuandCo wrote:Hmmm... Floppy = 1.44 MB, ROS about 100 MB... nope
Maybe then start / repair reactos using a floppy (similar to windows 9.x)
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

hbelusca wrote:Not necessarily install floppys, but a boot floppy would be useful. You would just need 1 floppy with bootsector suitable for booting freeldr.sys; a suitable freeldr.ini, maybe one-two drivers (for CD drive) and that's all (it's basically what the windows boot floppys have).
How would you configure the freeldr.ini?
middings

Post by middings »

Konata wrote:Even if you could...

(pic)
I laughed so hard, I cried.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

I see 1, 2 and 3 on the floppy still in the rap. How many floppies does it take to install window 8.1?
middings

Post by middings »

The visible floppies in the picture are marked Disk 1 of 3711, Disk 2 of 3711, and Disk 3 of 3711.

3711 * 1.44 MB = 5.34 GB

Now I'm laughing too hard again.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

middings wrote:The visible floppies in the picture are marked Disk 1 of 3711, Disk 2 of 3711, and Disk 3 of 3711.

3711 * 1.44 MB = 5.34 GB

Now I'm laughing too hard again.
I'm I missing something; a backup disk would be 4 gb, but all of these have to be bootable which means each and every one of them needs those files which makes them bootable. So I could see that working.
justincase

Post by justincase »

middings wrote:3711 * 1.44 MB = 5.34 GB
MugenFighter wrote:I'm I missing something; a backup disk would be 4 gb, but all of these have to be bootable which means each and every one of them needs those files which makes them bootable. So I could see that working.
Why must they all be bootable? You only actually boot to the first one, then the rest just have what data can fit on them, and the setup system looks for the files it needs, and if it can't find them, asks you to insert the next disk. However, with an approximately 1.44 MB maximum filesize, a lot of the OS's internal files would have to be broken up over multiple disks, so you'd need some extra information on some of them to ensure that you're getting the right info at the right time, and each floppy probably wouldn't hold a full 1.44 MB (though some would), because including the next file would mean having to break up some file(s) an extra time, and might end up being less efficient, so having a bit of 'wasted' space isn't necessarily unexpected.
Also... what makes you say "a backup disk would be 4 gb"?
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
MugenFighter

Post by MugenFighter »

justincase wrote:
middings wrote:3711 * 1.44 MB = 5.34 GB
MugenFighter wrote:I'm I missing something; a backup disk would be 4 gb, but all of these have to be bootable which means each and every one of them needs those files which makes them bootable. So I could see that working.
Why must they all be bootable? You only actually boot to the first one, then the rest just have what data can fit on them, and the setup system looks for the files it needs, and if it can't find them, asks you to insert the next disk. However, with an approximately 1.44 MB maximum filesize, a lot of the OS's internal files would have to be broken up over multiple disks, so you'd need some extra information on some of them to ensure that you're getting the right info at the right time, and each floppy probably wouldn't hold a full 1.44 MB (though some would), because including the next file would mean having to break up some file(s) an extra time, and might end up being less efficient, so having a bit of 'wasted' space isn't necessarily unexpected.
Also... what makes you say "a backup disk would be 4 gb"?
I meant a cd to compare. Why did a bring that up? I don't know I'm tired.