Start Menù button icon

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

merella

Start Menù button icon

Post by merella »

Hi all,

i've just one question.
In older reactos versions the stratmenù icon was more professional and resemble better the reactos logo

Example:
[ external image ]

my question is:
Is possible to re-use this icon or use a new one for the upcoming 0.4.0?
oldman

Re: Start Menù button icon

Post by oldman »

The one you show in the screenshot and want back, is the original, that comes with the latest releases (daily builds) and what you see in the recent screenshots, is the one for the community addition. I also like the original and would like to see it back in the normal release versions. Why not make a request in Jira for it's return!
Last edited by oldman on Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
merella

Post by merella »

are you sure?
because the actual start icon is very old, the devs have changed the icon since 0.3.7 i think
i don't know if i have the possibility to open a jira for this
oldman

Post by oldman »

merella wrote:are you sure?
because the actual start icon is very old, the devs have changed the icon since 0.3.7 I think
I don't know if I have the possibility to open a Jira for this
I have just checked 2 livecds (65317 & 70050) and they both have the original icon set (icon.ico) in the root directory. It therefore looks like the start icon was only changed in the bootcd, unless there is another icon for the start button, which I cannot find any where.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

It's possible but I don't think most people would agree. The icon you want to use looks: a) old and b) blurry. Comparing to the new one,the newer one looks much nicer and newer. With this icon, ReactOS looks far more modern especially with the new icons I've done.

What are other peoples thoughts?
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
oldman

Post by oldman »

Pi_User5 wrote:.................... The icon you want to use looks: a) old and b) blurry. Comparing to the new one,the newer one looks much nicer and newer. With this icon, ReactOS looks far more modern especially with the new icons I've done.
The community edition is the one that is to have the modern look, the standard edition is the one that was to keep the classic look (Windows 2000).
merella

Post by merella »

Pi_User5 wrote:It's possible but I don't think most people would agree. The icon you want to use looks: a) old and b) blurry. Comparing to the new one,the newer one looks much nicer and newer. With this icon, ReactOS looks far more modern especially with the new icons I've done.

What are other peoples thoughts?
i think the community agree.
I know is only an eye candy but the icon i've posted yesterday is better than the actual one:
(random image from 0.3.17)
[ external image ]
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

Nope, the community edition does not have anything to do with it. Also, sorry, but the updated explorer-new icon looks better in almost every aspect. No way the old one it's coming back in TRUNK.

Being classic has nothing to do with looking ugly, please don't extrapolate or generalize. We have worked our asses off to make ReactOS look crispier and more cohesive while retaining the Windows 2003 experience.

--

Also, compare that 0.3.17 screenshot with the current state of TRUNK and feel the blatant and not so obvious differences.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

oldman wrote:
Pi_User5 wrote:.................... The icon you want to use looks: a) old and b) blurry. Comparing to the new one,the newer one looks much nicer and newer. With this icon, ReactOS looks far more modern especially with the new icons I've done.
The community edition is the one that is to have the modern look, the standard edition is the one that was to keep the classic look (Windows 2000).
Not sure where you heard that from. If that was true, I would not have spent all my free time fixing the icons in trunk
Swyter wrote:Nope, the community edition does not have anything to do with it. Also, sorry, but the updated explorer-new icon looks better in almost every aspect. No way the old one it's coming back in TRUNK.

Being classic has nothing to do with looking ugly, please don't extrapolate or generalize. We have worked our asses off to make ReactOS look crispier and more cohesive while retaining the Windows 2003 experience.

--

Also, compare that 0.3.17 screenshot with the current state of TRUNK and feel the not so obvious differences.
Well said Swyter. With the new shell, the switch from 16bit to 32bit color depth by default and the new icons, ReactOS looks a lot better and a lot more serious. No more blurry icons and bad shell.

If you want to use that old icon, replace it in your working copy and use that instead of trying to pollute trunk with old, blurry icons that were replaced years ago.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
merella

Post by merella »

Pi_User5 wrote:
oldman wrote:
Not sure where you heard that from. If that was true, I would not have spent all my free time fixing the icons in trunk
Swyter wrote:Nope, the community edition does not have anything to do with it. Also, sorry, but the updated explorer-new icon looks better in almost every aspect. No way the old one it's coming back in TRUNK.

--

Also, compare that 0.3.17 screenshot with the current state of TRUNK and feel the not so obvious differences.
Well said Swyter. With the new shell, the switch from 16bit to 32bit color depth by default and the new icons, ReactOS looks a lot better and a lot more serious. No more blurry icons and bad shell.

If you want to use that old icon, replace it in your working copy and use that instead of trying to pollute trunk with old, blurry icons that were replaced years ago.
keep calm guy, was just my opinion, i don't have anything to tell for the UX, just for me the start icon is not as good as the rest of the interface
oldman

Post by oldman »

Swyter
..................... Also, sorry, but the updated explorer-new icon looks better in almost every aspect.
That is a matter of opinion! One person can look at an item and think that it is a object of beauty, another person could look upon the same item and think that it is just junk!
merella expressed his (or her) opinion that the new start icon was not as good or as professional looking as the orginal atom start icon, and I agreed with him.
Swyter
..................... ......... No way the old one it's coming back in TRUNK.

That may be true, but may also, not be true, because policy is decided collectively by the inner circle of developers and not by one man
Last edited by oldman on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Pi_User5
oldman wrote:
Look here and Victor did a mockup somewhere for the community edition.
Pi_User5
If you want to use that old icon, replace it in your working copy and use that instead
I am aware of that option!
Pi_User5
of trying to pollute trunk with old, blurry icons that were replaced years ago.
pollute! We are talking of one icon only; how does one icon pollute the trunk?
If you are worried about too many icons in the trunk, then ask about getting rid of icons where their value is in either, advertising the OS (Start button) or to make it look pretty, like Device Manager, Drivers and Hardware Profile in the Hardware tab of System Properties. Icons are only necessary (in my opinion) for shortcuts and files, I can think of no other places where they are needed.

But back to the Start button icon; both me and merella like the original ROS logo atom icon and you and Swyter like the new plain atom icon. Does anyone else have an opinion?
Last edited by oldman on Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Swyter
Location: Spain ← Europe ← Planet Earth ← Milky Way ← Universe

Post by Swyter »

You know what a meritocracy means? It has to do with that people who have been consistently working on improving the look and feel of a software suite for more than a year have a more relevant opinion than an armchair critic. Also, this is not constructive, if you want to suggest improvements then show us a mock-up and a patch in JIRA instead of reusing the oldest designs known by man.

If you can't be bothered and you are waiting for others to fulfill your ideas then the suggestion is not that great. Keep it civil.
External patch contributor for ux/user-mode/l10n/winapi. Sometimes I fix a bit of everything everywhere.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Let's not worry about it. If the system can be themed easily in the end then we can skin it how we like. Hoping that the ability to skin all the elements of the look and feel of ReactOs is one of its prime reasons for people to choose it. Then these sort of discussions can be done away with.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
merella

Post by merella »

oldman wrote:
Pi_User5
oldman wrote:
Look here and Victor did a mockup somewhere for the community edition.
Pi_User5
If you want to use that old icon, replace it in your working copy and use that instead
I am aware of that option!
Pi_User5
of trying to pollute trunk with old, blurry icons that were replaced years ago.
pollute! We are talking of one icon only; how does one icon pollute the trunk?
If you are worried about too many icons in the trunk, then ask about getting rid of icons where their value is in either, advertising the OS (Start button) or to make it look pretty, like Device Manager, Drivers and Hardware Profile in the Hardware tab of System Properties. Icons are only necessary (in my opinion) for shortcuts and files, I can think of no other places where they are needed.

But back to the Start button icon; both me and merella like the original ROS logo atom icon and you and Swyter like the new plain atom icon, so it is 2 and for 2 against! Does anyone else have an opinion?
Thanks oldman (and i'm a man, Merella is my surname)
I am just talking about the start menu icon!
[ external image ]
Guys do you really think this icon is nice? I like all the icons and the style of the OS but this seems to be outdated
You Are talking about blurry icon and this atom seems to be worse than the other icon.
Sorry but you are not open for criticism. For the start menu, isn't better to use an atom who resemble the official reactos atom logo? This is my question.
I support you and the other devolpers (Also with money) and i love your works Guys!
Please don't misunderstand
Look this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=175&start=45
[ external image ]