Hello, ReactOS!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

CodeSpice

Hello, ReactOS!

Post by CodeSpice »

Hi, I've been looking at this OS off and on for a long time and would finally like to get involved developing for the ReactOS project. I am an experienced .NET developer that has recently begun to learn C on the Linux platform and would like to continue learning on something a bit meatier, and more useful, than "Hello, World."

There's huge potential in this project which has already come so far so how can I help?

I will of course go through the Wiki and other newbie help documentation but any suggestions on what might be useful contributions are greatly appreciated!
karlexceed

Re: Hello, ReactOS!

Post by karlexceed »

Definitely start reading the Wiki: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Welcome_to ... pment_Wiki

Then there is, of course, the JIRA Bugtracker: https://jira.reactos.org/secure/Dashboard.jspa

There should be enough material between the two sources to give you an idea where your skills could be used. You'll probably want to get the ROS Build Environment set up and get a copy of the source in order to build your own (and take a look at ROS's guts) too.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Also well... Www.reactos.org/testman should give you clues about the Apis failing :)
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

I'm not part of the ReactOS development team but I welcome you and wish you success! :D
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

Welcome CodeSpice !

We need YOU and your coding skills.

Please tell us from time to time how it's going with becoming aquainted with ROS.

Tell community which part of ROS you are interested most and where you will participate actively in.

(i am also not from ROS team, but a big ROS fan !)
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Hey CodeSpice, just get the source, build it and start playing with it. Whatever works on Win2k3 and NOT on ROS is a bug we have to fix. They go from simple typos to bugs in our MM code aka simple to apocalyptically difficult to fix. Just start debugging a bit. If you need further assitance, I suggest the IRC chatroom on irc.freenode.net #reactos. cya
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Aeneas

Post by Aeneas »

With the certain risk of being a cynical bastard and without wanting to underestimate the abilities of an unknown individual: "wanting to learn C" sounds about as useful as "I'm trying to read up on samurai swords - is it OK to go run and participate in Battle of Sekigahara?"...
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
as you are new to c i recommend you start by making simple applications to get used to writing c
Konata

Post by Konata »

I'd think for OS development, one would optimally get acquainted with the x86 CPU and x86 Assembly language. Then learn C, since it translates to Assembly language fairly directly. After that, maybe read the OSDev wiki real quick. Then read Windows Internals 5th Edition, and probably some other good Windows-related material like Windows Via C/C++.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Stick to protected mode x86 programming. Real mode is a different animal, and you get in the habit of working with segments and playing with the segment registers. So if you carried such habits over, you'd cause exceptions for sure since a number of the manipulations are forbidden. I may still know some assembly, but it is only applicable for real mode.