Linux has even more NTFS support now!

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Matthias

Linux has even more NTFS support now!

Post by Matthias »

Yesterday, a new Linux Kernel has been released with an improved version of the NTFS driver. You can now overwrite files also if you change the file's size (before, you could edit files but only if you didn't change the size). Though you still can't delete or create new files :(. Anyway, it's a step in the right direction and it'll surely help ReactOS :)
ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

Im pretty sure it was the developers intentions to use the Linux kernels NTFS support, though as i understand all fs drivers are currently on hold until the new cache manager is ready.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

As soon as the new cache manager is in place you will be able to use window's ntfs.sys.
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
menn

good!

Post by menn »

Dr. Fred wrote:As soon as the new cache manager is in place you will be able to use window's ntfs.sys.
i'm sorry, i thought this was already done. (no uninstalled ntfs.sys to try it with at the moment.) is the new cache manager slated to be done soon?
only asking because i don't want to give out wrong info in future. thanks
FOSS="MY Computer"
drm="NOT My Computer" http://eff.org
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

The new Cache Manager is in development. It has it's own branch in SVN, so you wont see any changes in trunk Compilations. I'm not sure who is working on it. If you want to know the status, ask in chat. They'll know.
Dr. Fred
Developer

Post by Dr. Fred »

AFAIK it works so far but there are still some bugs. Like this. http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=942
Where do you want ReactOS to go today ?
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

EmuandCo wrote:I'm not sure who is working on it. If you want to know the status, ask in chat. They'll know.
Gunnar Dalsnes and Filip Navara
BrandonTurner
Developer

Post by BrandonTurner »

ged wrote:
EmuandCo wrote:I'm not sure who is working on it. If you want to know the status, ask in chat. They'll know.
Gunnar Dalsnes and Filip Navara
hartmut too.... dont know if hardon ever really work on it though, did he?
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

BrandonTurner wrote: hartmut too.... dont know if hardon ever really work on it though, did he?
Sorry your right. It was Harmut, not hardon.