Why?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

dizt3mp3r

Re: Why?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

The site FP is infinitely superior to the old.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
oldman

Post by oldman »

MadWolf wrote:hi
I do not like the new home page I am going to create a concept for how to improve the page layout
Neither do I!
I look forward to seeing your suggestions, but you don't stand much of a chance of getting a totally different design accepted. Too much effort as been put into creating this new site for anyone to just abandon it!
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
oldman

Post by oldman »

dizt3mp3r wrote:The site FP is infinitely superior to the old.
That is a matter of opinion!

It appears to appeal to the younger person, but I doubt that the people who run businesses will find it appealing!
The use of the word "Awesomizing" seems to me somewhat childish, a thing of youth. I can only find it so far in the Urban Dictionary; it's slang!

I hate animations; I can't stand things that change before I have had time to read any text!

Why not (like some sites do) make a front door to the site with all these animations on that and place a big enter button in the centre to get to the home page!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

oldman wrote:
dizt3mp3r wrote:The site FP is infinitely superior to the old.
That is a matter of opinion!
No, unfortunately by all technical standards, content, SEO, usability, responsiveness it is superior and that is a technical fact.

You don't like the look and feel but that is an opinion. My statement stands.

The site appeals in general to the majority of potential real-life users, it is dynamic, interesting and appealing to them and that is all that is really required.
oldman wrote: The use of the word "Awesomizing" seems to me somewhat childish, a thing of youth. I can only find it so far in the Urban Dictionary; it's slang!
The word is appalling and stupid (and in my mind indicates a level of unintelligence) but that is merely my opinion and it won't stop the American-influenced English speaking world using it.
oldman wrote: I hate animations; I can't stand things that change before I have had time to read any text!
As you said, you 'hate' something, that is an opinion and sadly not a fact. The site was designed for many, unfortunately not for you.
oldman wrote: Why not (like some sites do) make a front door to the site with all these animations on that and place a big enter button in the centre to get to the home page!
That is a very bad way to design a site. It removes all the important content from the FP and due to poor SEO it drops the site like a stone from the rankings. It creates an extra click between the user and the content. Unfortunately, your knowledge on sites is based upon opinion and solely with regard to look and feel. There is much more to it than you realise.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

dizt3mp3r wrote:
oldman wrote: The use of the word "Awesomizing" seems to me somewhat childish, a thing of youth. I can only find it so far in the Urban Dictionary; it's slang!
The word is appalling and stupid (and in my mind indicates a level of unintelligence) but that is merely my opinion and it won't stop the American-influenced English speaking world using it.
It was been already signaled by a ROS dev, and I agree it sounds "strange" (to say the least); I'll try to push to change it.

Regarding the critics that basically say that the new website doesn't look like old-fashioned ones from the 2k years (i.e. with a high density of text, like the one we had before), I'm sure you can just directly skip to where the real contents are, i.e. the wiki and the forum (and the http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds or http://www.reactos.org/testman pages).
fennec

Post by fennec »

I really like the new FP too, the old one looked aged. More importantly I'm really impressed by 0.4 speed and features.

Keep up the good work :)
oldman

Post by oldman »

dizt3mp3r wrote:
oldman wrote: I hate animations; I can't stand things that change before I have had time to read any text!
As you said, you 'hate' something, that is an opinion and sadly not a fact. The site was designed for many, unfortunately not for you.
It is not the site that I dislike, only the front page; there are some new pages that look very nice, but I just do like the front/home page, as it was and as it is now. Remove some more stuff, make the header look pretty, then I will alter my views.
dizt3mp3r wrote:
oldman wrote: Why not (like some sites do) make a front door to the site with all these animations on that and place a big enter button in the centre to get to the home page!
That is a very bad way to design a site. It removes all the important content from the FP and due to poor SEO it drops the site like a stone from the
rankings. It creates an extra click between the user and the content. .

I will accept what you say about bad design, it was only a suggestion to enable people who are familiar with the site to quickly get beyond the fancy trimmings. As for Search Engine Optimization, take a look at the source code, there is no search engine meta data, at least I can not see it. Am I now behind the times and meta data is no longer important!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Meta data of that sort is no longer important. It is now just an insignificant part of the whole that gives good SEO.
wildschwein

Post by wildschwein »

I also want to give my mustard to the new webpage... hope in english this saying exists as well as in german...

It's better than the old ! The fresh startpage look more as a colaboration projekt than the page before.
Reactos seems more cool for newbies ( even it IS cool since a long time for all who knows what Reactos really is...)

But:
What I don't like is the new font in forum. Bold Font look very strange...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You can give your mustard but no - that expression does not exist in English...

Over here we might give our penn'orth (a penny-worth) of thought/input.

We get what you mean... :D

The large font size is due to the site being optimised more for tablet devices and therefore being more usable by those that might not be as familiar with ReactOS as we are. Tablet users might not be the biggest market for ReactOS but having the site optimised for tablet users is a good thing as far as SEO is concerned.

The whole tablet-optimised feel does also make ReactOS appear a lot more 'cool'.

If you don't like the font size, simply click the CTRL key and rotate the mouse wheel up and down. The font/site size will then change according to which browser you use.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

my Home Page concept
[ external image ]
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Mmmm...
-The Gallery thing with the slideshow is anice idea to implement.
-The Latest Blog post seems to appear duplicated, so it doesnt convince me there.
-The "login" stuff is taking too much protagonism, it is adding 2 new extra items to the main menu. Consider tablets or screens with lower resolution. You can see that we already do some "tricks" to show the menu in tablets because the current lack of space.
-Also your draft is missing where to place user and password to log in. It is showing an already logged user.
- The report a bug has already a button to link to.
Thanks for sharing ideas.
oldman

Post by oldman »

vicmarcal, can you change the text colour from #777777 (rgb 119,119,119) because it is hard to see and for accessability. Using the Colour Contrast Analyser I get this result:
The contrast ratio is: 4.5:1 Text failed at Level AA Text failed at Level AAA Large text passed at Level AA Large text failed at Level AAA
to #555555 (rgb 85,85,85) which shows all as passed in the Colour Contrast Analyser
The contrast ratio is: 7.5:1 Text passed at Level AA Text passed at Level AAA Large text passed at Level AA Large text passed at Level AAA
Can the ReactOS logo be made larger, or is there a reason that it is the size that it is? It just does not look right to me!
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
Latest Blog post is showing two examples where the blog post can go
example B use the same border as Live Activity and Twitter Feed

? is a link to this page https://reactos.org/wiki/File_Bugs

Login
the log out changes to login if the user isn't logged in
1 link to a separate page
2 something similar to http://www.nexusmods.com
[ external image ]
hp38guser

Post by hp38guser »

I like the animation and think it could be moved further up on the site, just below the "They're talking about ReactOS" black bar, followed by the ReactOS is a "random word" operating system and features below it, just like other project sites (see Libreoffice for an example).

Here is my concept: [ external image ]

I reduced the white space a bit, by overlapping the world with the news logos, and lighten the background a bit.