Ubuntu Linux binaries on Windows! It is possible in ReactOS

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Marco Aurelio

Ubuntu Linux binaries on Windows! It is possible in ReactOS

Post by Marco Aurelio »

These news were released, the binary Ubuntu will run natively on Windows 10. I hope are available source code and can be used in ReactOS!

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Developer ... ows10.aspx

http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/03/ ... ndows.html

http://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft- ... indows-10/

Although there are Cygwin and MSYS utilities, GnuWin32. 8-)
Black_Fox

Re: Ubuntu Linux binaries on Windows! It is possible in Reac

Post by Black_Fox »

I use GnuWin32, but still, I have tried to use grep or bash for anything non-trivial, they just don't deliver. I'll give Win10 another whirl once this update lands, seems like a great addition.

I read the Canonical blog post and OMG Ubuntu post - they say this is running the ELF binaries and translating syscalls. Am I correct that I'll be able to run any ELF binary, e.g. something I compiled with Ubuntu-on-Windows g++?
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Unless you want to develop the Drawbridge technology in ReactOS to get the very same functionality, you won't see that there anytime soon.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

If that's reply to my comment, then sorry. I meant within the Windows 10, not ReactOS :-)
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Black_Fox wrote:If that's reply to my comment, then sorry. I meant within the Windows 10, not ReactOS :-)
Hi, nope, it was a reply to the title part "It is possible in ReactOS" :)
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

hbelusca wrote:Unless you want to develop the Drawbridge technology in ReactOS to get the very same functionality, you won't see that there anytime soon.
ReactOs may use Foreign Linux "eniw" instead of drawbridge. ELF interpreter is easy because PE/COFF is an extension of ELF.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
sdever

Post by sdever »

erkinalp wrote:ReactOs may use Foreign Linux "eniw" instead of drawbridge. ELF interpreter is easy because PE/COFF is an extension of ELF.
No, ELF was made to replace COFF, and PE is a Microsoft's extension of COFF. ELF is far more complex than PE to understand, especially the dynamic-linking thing, and even contains built-in information to specify the ABI to use (a flag saying if the ELF should run on a BSD or a SysV/Linux-like ABI). FreeBSD relies on this field to its Linux emulation.

Also, allowing to run unmodified Linux binaries on ReactOS would require to reimplement the whole Linux syscalls, and map them to NT counterparts (or use things like Drawbridge hbelusca mentioned). It's a quite daunting task, especially with the little task force we have (but if someone wants to implement this, why not :D).
Konata

Post by Konata »

It would undoubtedly be easier to run a locally-hosted headless server and SSH into it. Does ReactOS have an SSH client built-in? That would be a nice feature.

Well, we already have the Unix subsystem in ReactOS. It would probably be easier to use Gentoo's package manager for Windows (it's outdated, someone would need to maintain it) and have it target the Unix subsystem. Gentoo's package manager compiles everything, there's very few binaries in it's repository. So it would be pretty trivial to implement.
I'm just joking, by the way. I know every Linux program is hard-coded for it (and Xorg, and Systemd, etc.) and doesn't even work in FreeBSD or other Unixes. The Drawbridge headless server is pretty much the only way to go.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

We, what unix subsystem?
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Z98 wrote:We, what unix subsystem?
He is referring to our stub posix subsystem: https://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/tru ... sys/posix/
Konata

Post by Konata »

Oh, yeah, I get Unix and Posix mixed up a lot (doesn't help that Microsoft does that too).
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

OMG LOL!, it's going full circle! We build ReactOS on Linux systems to running the Linux BE inside WSL!!! :lol:

http://arstechnica.com/information-tech ... -software/
erkinalp

ENIW on WINE

Post by erkinalp »

eniw.exe not found.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

well, why not a Linux sub system ..
not as cmd, but as lcmd and xprogramms would be also possible with
Xming in the systray

[ external image ]

and the linuxkernel starting by manual or autostart with a own controlpanel like Administration of System,
but as Administration for the linuxkernel/subsystem = ladmin

and we have ext2fs for different ext2-4 fs so, why not ..
with the Ext2Fsd Project or fs-driver.org would it possible to have a WinNT on ext4 + clean running Linux Subsystem imho.

And in a Singlewindow it's able for let run an own window manager on XMing-window

and by the way, why directly Ubuntu libarys, why not the original sources to implement it directly as own..
and packetmanagement rpm from Redhat packet Management to be independent and have a clean system..
but therefore mus be exist an own repository first, a kernel and bash tools then later ..... more ?

As rpmmanagement prefere i am something like Mandrake/openmandriva rpm-Manager drakrpm
and can maybe included in the Reactos Apps Manager to managed the Windows-programms and
the Linux repository's with rpm's .. so both, this could be possible like i guess..

best regards
Blacky
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

ReactOS is under GPLv2, there is no obstacle for collaboration with Debian apart from difference of philosophy. Every component except kernel and init may be run unchanged via a Unix subsystem. systemd2svchost bridge will be needed in order to integrate Windows and systemd services.