Continuum - is it needed? Intel pulling the plug.

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

karlexceed

Re: Continuum - is it needed? Intel pulling the plug.

Post by karlexceed »

Just wanted to throw my two cents in, regarding the Microsoft Surface.

I work in IT, so I've had plenty of clients ask about and buy Surfaces only to find that they do not fit the need of the user.

Some issues I've seen:
- They are terribly expensive. And they don't come with a keyboard by default - that's $200 extra. At $2500 for a workable Surface Pro 3, why not buy a nice laptop? Your $200 could be better spent on the Office license,
- They consistently have driver issues. boot issues, and update issues. Attempting to boot from the keyboard, not recognizing it's dock, etc... Enough issues that they are not a usable daily device for a non-technical user.
- They have display issues... Ugh, the display issues. Granted, yeah, awesomely high-res display, but then they took away all of the old ways of tweaking the display and now I see applications that are unusable because you can't see or work with them. Not to mention RDP... Plus, no older office employee wants their icons smaller than a dime with text that looks like a 6pt font.

So, in my humble opinion, the Surface is a product that is coasting on it's "cool" factor. In the long run, Microsoft will need to make it a truly usable product or give it up.
at7948

Post by at7948 »

Just a thought:
If ms uses amd / intels 5g processors for a surface phone. The phone will run x86 apps and hav continuum.
In this case is it in anyway possible to hav d geeks phone or any other x86 architecture phone and install ROS ?
Also, can Ros hav continuum?
Just started using a moto, and dont hav much idea of computer architecture.
Thanx.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

An old thread resurrected by my necromancy - apologies.

Referring to Konata's earlier supposition that Surface was selling like hotcakes. It seems Microsoft is finally pulling out of the loss-making Surface market. Rumours are that the Surface will be completely pulled by the end of next year 2018 or possibly a few months after that.

It seems as if Windows has been a total market failure on phones (even if it worked quite well), a well-publicised but loss-making venture into tablets for Microsoft whilst tablets have not been the main 'go-to' o/s for that market even from other manufacturers. Windows seems firmly placed on the desktop/server market where it has always been so it makes a lot of sense to have that bleedin' awful touch-centric GUI foisted upon us - that was sarcasm by the way.

Once again apologies for the raising of the recently dead thread.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
LuxenDM

Post by LuxenDM »

Mightve been a necropost, but an informative one that I at least am grateful for. Besides, it had specific reference to an old post.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

As expected, the first part of the rumour, the first step of the retreat, Microsoft has just abandoned Windows 10 on mobile phones with a casual "it's not our focus at the moment" message. This also presages the death knell of the 'app' on Windows. If the main platform, the Windows phone is dead, the tablet is dead ( RT and the rest of surface ), that leaves apps for the desktop - er, we already have applications on the desktop. All those developers that went the 'app' route must be so frustrated by the death of the supporting platforms but it was obviously going to be a mistake, at least it was obvious from where I was standing.

OK - we run one 'app' on the desktop, World of Tanks, at least my boys do. As far as I know my family use no other 'app' on the traditional desktop. Others might I suppose. My wife still has her Nokia/MS Lumia and for what it's worth, it was a good phone with a very usable interface. It just wasn't what the world wanted.

Windows 8 and 10 - that interface on the desktop? It isn't wanted either. We are left with the wrong GUI for the wrong type of system.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
LuxenDM

Post by LuxenDM »

We saw what their interface for mobile devices was (and they tried shoving it on us PC users, to varying degrees of either success or irritation (Personally, I enjoy it being relegated to the start menu)); now they are making these mixed reality devices. what UI will they design with those?

/cue shuddering
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I'm not sure we need to worry. The future is NOT in Microsoft's hands. It isn't sexy and isn't fun.

They have a massive desktop server market and they will soon retrench to expand and protect that area. Those in MS that spent pointless billions are not going to be given control of the monolith to point to any new direction.

ReactOS may be the tool that erases Microsoft's server/hobby/desktop market, sneaking in from underneath. We can hope.