Using ReactOS 4.1 as a daily driver

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

kahnethius

Using ReactOS 4.1 as a daily driver

Post by kahnethius »

Hi there, for a week, I will attempt to use ReactOS as my main operating system, to see what it really can and can't do for an intermediate computer user. The entire thing will be documented (assuming I can get bandicam or fraps working) and uploaded to either my personal YouTube channel or the ReactOS community channel. A list of things I will be trying to do with ReactOS are listed below.

Running Garry's Mod or Half Life 2
Running Minecraft
Creating something in Unity 5
Creating something in Gamemaker: Studio
Editing a video
Editing photos using Paint.NET
(as a bonus) Creating a custom theme for ReactOS
Various other small tasks

(Don't worry, I'm also having doubts about getting these programs running)

If there's anything else you'd like me to try, or any suggestions for getting things to run, please reply to this thread with your idea. I will link the video here as soon as it's finished.
Last edited by kahnethius on Wed Jun 01, 2016 2:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fLuXx

Re: Using ReactOS 4.1 as a daily driver

Post by fLuXx »

Nice idea! Give it a try and let us know how the ROS stands currently. I wouldn't expect too much though.

My idea would be to use it as much as possible for just browsing the internet, specifically YT, FB etc. That's what a more common user would use the most, besides games.
kahnethius

Post by kahnethius »

So, the install didn't go too well, to the point where I had to run a repair disk for Windows xD. I'm gonna be changing the dates to TBD, since i'm gonna need a bit of time to do research and such
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Use it within a virtualbox or expect not to start at all...

Use photoshop or similar instead of paint .NET.

Lower your expectations!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.