Sound Mixer

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

PurpleGurl

Sound Mixer

Post by PurpleGurl »

Something has been on my mind. Eventually we will try to be compatible with 7 or whatever. However, of all the things I love about Windows 7, the sound mixer is not one of them. I'd rather it be by device, not by application as they have it. While some like its features, which include taking over and managing "communications devices" (telephone/VOIP), as well as tampering with volume settings when you change apps or devices you are using, I don't like them. If I want less sound in the room when I pick up my Magic Jack phone, *I* will adjust that to my liking. Oh, you can attempt to disable that, but it may or may not take. And if you mute the volume, it might also mute the mike on your VOIP device and not unmute it when you unmute the main. I spent at least an hour troubleshooting why others couldn't hear me when I called them, only to discover an obscure sound property setting was muted. Why can't 7 leave the d*mn thing alone?

Now, I am not sure how much we can keep 2003 behavior when we start doing things there the 7 way. Obviously, the under the hood changes will need to be made to be compatible with the newer software. Magic Jack has both the XP/2003 version and the Vista+ version of the softphone console. My guess is that the sound mixer handling is why there are at least 2 versions. With 2003 and older, nonstandard "audio" devices brought their own controls, with the driver or application handling them, while 7, AFAIK is more hands-on. So I have a feeling that reporting as 7 and doing things the old way could cause problems.
Blackcrack

Re: Sound Mixer

Post by Blackcrack »

so, well, there the programmers and it should be changable, adjustable like the peoples want,
with this possible can it be able to be configuration like the User whant,
in one hand like Win95, 2000, XP or like Win7 or maybe like Win7 / Win10( it is an other as Win7 ?)

but now should we have a WinXP Mixer and later should it be adjustable with regkey's , (win95mix,winxpmix,win7mix, win10mix)
like the User want and should be Customable.. imho .. (i guess nothing speaks against if having more code and of letting flow paches to extend it later with reg key's :mrgreen: )

this makes able to customizing like the user want and not the Designer create a branding and make it unable for change ..
it should be ever able to custmizing the whole [strike]Windows[/strike] React05 ;) in my opinion :)

best regards
Blacky
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I'm with you from what I understand. It is just that the APIs will need to be there for compatibility, even if there are ways we can add in to override them. Maybe emulate legacy mode some, maybe have a key to tell it not to adjust volumes automatically, and when you do push a mute button that it only mute the main device (and not your phone, etc). So only mute the master control on the primary device, and only when you press mute, and not in response to other activity.

But the challenge would be to make it compatible with what is current and provide a more familiar interface to the user. I am sure browsers and similar depend on the new functions and behavior to a degree, so we don't want to break them. Right now, it is okay in that the software that is not compatible won't run and will crash out saying Vista+ is required. But once we report Vista or 7, we will have to give the software what it expects, though it doesn't have to know what the user is actually getting...
forart

Post by forart »

OK, here's my - opensource of course - contribute list:
  • 3RVX - Skinnable volume controller and OSD
  • Volumizer - an audio mixer for Windows that supports monitoring, saving & recalling profiles...
  • mixerplus - Windows (9x/NT/2k/XP) Volume Control replacement, with some different features
  • MatrixMixer - a DirectShow filter to upmix any stereo source to multiple speakers (branch of AC3Filter project)
  • Ear Trumpet - Volume Control for Windows
  • Vista Audio Changer - a system tray application that can change the default sound output device in Windows Vista at the click of a mouse.
  • DefaultAudioChanger - a program that can change the default audio device on a Vista & Windows 7 OS-es.
  • Volume Step Adjuster - allows you to adjust the increment/decrement step of your system volume when you use your multimedia keys.
  • VolumeControl - Small tool to control Windows sound volume level at any moment with hotkey combination
  • Volume Limiter - a small application that allows you to set a maximum volume limit on your windows PC.
  • RSPmixer / RSPmixerocx - simple win32 dll / OCX to control the system mixer
  • Windows VU Meter - a standalone application that mimics an old stereo's VU or audio level meters.
  • VU Meter - A volume unit (VU) meter or standard volume indicator (SVI) is a device displaying a representation of the signal level in audio equipment.
As always, it would be great to INVOLVE those devs in ROS evolution, IMHO.

Hope that helps, or at least inspires.
Last edited by forart on Mon Jul 18, 2016 5:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hi Forart,

why do you they are not writing on ?

i have done it with mixer+
https://github.com/blargoner/mixerplus/issues/1

but i have not the mailadress and be not in facebook,
maybe be you on facebook and can write him/they are on
per mail or message .. how ever it is possible ..

best regards
Blacky
forart

Post by forart »

Blackcrack wrote:Hi Forart,

why do you they are not writing on ?

i have done it with mixer+
https://github.com/blargoner/mixerplus/issues/1
Well, i've done mutch in the past, now i have less time to do so.

Anyway I used this contact scheme:

"Hi there, your < name of the 3rd-party project > is really cool !

It would be great if can be a part of or contribute to ReactOS, the open source (GPL) windows clone:

http://www.reactos.org

HaPpY CoDiNg !"

Anyway it would be great to have an official "tell-a-dev" form in order to avoid disorganized (multiple) contact request, IMHO.
»Forward Agency NPO
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

*tumps up*
any really well freeware/ programmer do i make attentive to our Project :)
and therefor have i am every time, if i be atm on it or on his page
for make so many as possible programmer attentive on this project :)

Forart, as idea.. you be also an programmer ? oh in your mail, as signation ?
in any mail ? you be an Reactos programmer ? "Member of Reactos Community"
with this ask any "wth is Reactos, mus i looking on.." ;) hihi

best regards
Blacky
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

The list of helper apps seems impressive!

I agree on organizing the contacts with 3rd party devs. We likely don't want to cold contact anyone like that more frequently than every couple of years at most since we don't want to overwhelm or alienate anyone, and we don't want to generate bad PR. We don't want to offend nor spam anyone.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

ReactOS, the open source (GPL) windows clone:
ReactOS is not a Windows-clone. Ziliang has said that repeatedly in the past. This is a Windows-like Windows compatible OS.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Windows Clone or not, stay above ! ;) (imho, Reactos -it is- a Windows Network System !)

This is Reactos !

;)

best regards
Blacky
Last edited by Blackcrack on Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I didn't know there was anything wrong with the one we have. I was thinking to the future.
forart

Post by forart »

Blackcrack wrote:Forart, as idea.. you be also an programmer ? oh in your mail, as signation ?
in any mail ? you be an Reactos programmer ? "Member of Reactos Community"
with this ask any "wth is Reactos, mus i looking on.." ;) hihi

best regards
Blacky
I'm a computer tech and a self-educated PHP dev.
Anyway I'm an experienced Internet user (since 1995) and quite-effective PR manager.

In my most recent "tell-a-dev" promotional mails that I sended, I also suggested to just test their software on ReacOS to claim the full compatibility in their websites (as, for example, UniATA does).

Of course it would be great to have an official "Works on Reactos" certification graphics.
Something like:
[ external image ]
or
[ external image ]
»Forward Agency NPO
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hi Forart,
i am the same computer tech and php by self-educated
and Photoshop, gimp and so on :)

Hun, we are on Alpha *bg*
and 2nd this is a soundmixer-tread,
a new Tread/Post in Grafix for this would be really nice :))
but you be there off topic :mrgreen:
but it's a good idea/suggestion
maybe the gray one with the Reactos logo as stamp over all in 30 / 45% angle
but like i told, an bit toooo early :) and the wrong tread :)

best regards
Blacky