16-bit Windows Program Support

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

it2pivincent

16-bit Windows Program Support

Post by it2pivincent »

Why can't ReactOS have 16-bit Windows Program Support?

If we did we can run old programs and games built for Windows 3.1. We can even build some libraries of own to get them working on.

ReactOS can run these Win16 apps and libraries needed for some of the other Windows programs.

Thanks for you support!
dsp8195

Re: 16-bit Windows Program Support

Post by dsp8195 »

Since it's impossible to run 16-bit Windows applications in 64-bit CPU mode (or any other non-x86 architecture), which is one of the ultimate goals of ReactOS, they require complete implementation of NTVDM with emulated x86 CPU and the rest of hardware, plus a layer of stubs that would redirect old WinAPI calls to native 32/64-bit libraries. The latter, however, is not yet done.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Correct, NTVDM is the main function here. NTVDM itself is getting more and more mature making it possibl to run many applications made for DOS already. Some VESA and Sound and you even can play complex games on it. Missin is the redirection of 16 bit WinAPI to the current implementation. This will come sooner or later.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
it2pivincent

Post by it2pivincent »

I would like to see if it will be possible because, I have some old 16-bit programs that I could run on ReactOS.
If we get Win16 support working we could get more programs compatible with the project.
The more programs we get working on ReactOS, the more endless fun!
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

humm, an 16Bit emulation for old programms..
impossible ?
i guess something like OS/2 a win3.1 emu also with progman.. and progman it is inside.. imho..
maybe with the possible for configuring ems and something.. for emulation an dos/win 16 bit with own space but with an feel like real....
or something.. if this be program able.. but backward compatibility impossible, i don't belive on that, all it is program able .. imho

best regards
Blacky
it2pivincent

Post by it2pivincent »

humm, an 16Bit emulation for old programms..
impossible ?
The NTVDM would be an idea if we improve it to support 16 bit EXEs and COMs.

We could also use libraries from the Windows 3.1 OS to support the Win16 Programs.

The Win16 API would also be required for Win16 support.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Who said it is impossible? No one said that. It just has to be added to NTVDM
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

so, let it make "elite" *vbg*

no, in sirous ,
well, maybe could be an issue ?
many peoples have still 16Bit programms stored,
would be great if they programms also again usable.
From mashin contoling programms up to home/private programms and visitcard and others.

best regards
Blacky
Last edited by Blackcrack on Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
it2pivincent

Post by it2pivincent »

We could also add libraries to support Win16 programs even more.

Some programs from Windows 3.1 times uses VBX files. Maybe include support for them would be great too.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

it2pivincent wrote:
We could also use libraries from the Windows 3.1 OS to support the Win16 Programs.
Not sure, but we can't add Microsoft copyrighted binaries into ReactOS. Unless you mean redistributables (if that thing existed at 3.1 era), which we can't include but users would be able to download and install by themselves.
it2pivincent

Post by it2pivincent »

I was thinking like support for OLE and others in Win16 Programs on ReactOS.

If we are able to support Win16 programs, then we can make more progress in ReactOS.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

vicmarcal wrote:
it2pivincent wrote:
Not sure, but we can't add Microsoft copyrighted binaries into ReactOS. Unless you mean redistributables (if that thing existed at 3.1 era), which we can't include but users would be able to download and install by themselves.
naa, not easy take(steal) the binarys from MS like they are make with the Window-mouse Manager from Xerox,
well noo :) but hey, a subsystem like the win32sub, easy give the possible for developing an win16 system
like in OS/2 (this was also programmed from snatch like i guess, or ? ) ("snatch" it's the right word ?)
Building up in the kernel a possible for service a 16bit sub. too and give the possible for programming in, a 16 sub too..

if it's possible :)

(and by the way :and the dll in my test-pack be only files for helping and testing and not as "taking"...
i remove they are if they are not need any more ;) they anyway not installed if Reactos or wine have a higher version ;) it is a "higher version" switch on/in the installer and installs not if the file exist and be a higher version )

best regards
Blacky
it2pivincent

Post by it2pivincent »

Those were just thoughts, I want ReactOS to support more programs to make it better.

Win16 support would be the best right now.
Konata

Post by Konata »

How would Win16 work? Would it be in NTVDM or would it be it's very own subsystem environment?
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Same like Windows. NTVDM as base to run the 16 bit code and win16api to win32api wrappers.