OS/2 Program Support

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

it2pivincent

OS/2 Program Support

Post by it2pivincent »

Here's an idea for ReactOS:

Support for OS/2 programs. So, we can support more programs and have access OS/2 Drivers.

What I mean about OS/2, are versions 2.x and later.

Thanks for your support,

PS: Support for OS/2 1.x Programs would be a great idea as well.
dsp8195

Re: OS/2 Program Support

Post by dsp8195 »

NT core is basically a fork of OS/2, which also matches with naming conventions of certain functions.

However, the underlying structures are drastically different between both. The OS/2 drivers simply won't work, because it would require NT core <-> OS/2 sub-core translator (or multipurpose device driver, like Win98 implemented VxD for WDM drivers support, which basically was a micro-NT core) running in ring 0, with expectation of slowdowns and memory corruptions - as a result introducing yet another security hole.

Right now the whole "OS/2 drivers" thing simply would not work - it's too time-consuming, with very little to no gain of supported devices - OS/2 is long dead and largely unsupported even in its current eComStation state.

The applications, however, could work with additional API layer that would execute OS/2 binaries and "talk" to WinAPI, but it requires too many man-hours and tons of additions to kernel itself, which itself is still not yet complete.

I assure you, if these things would be a piece of cake, you would already been able to directly play games from original XBox in ReactOS, without an emulator!
Konata

Post by Konata »

Doesn't ReactOS already have an OS/2 Subsystem? I'm not sure.
IIRC the original NT OS/2 Subsystem only supported non-graphical programs, which makes sense since Windows' windowing system is part of the Win32 Subsystem, so apart from the OS/2 software just not calling the proper API, in NT an application can only have one Environment Subsystem (defined in the executable header). So in other words, you can't get graphical support. The OS/2 Subsystem would have to be fairly primitive from that standpoint.
it2pivincent

Post by it2pivincent »

I just want to run OS/2 GUI Programs.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Then you need a OS/2 OS. We have priorities and these are win32k and NT >5.2 kernel. OS/2 is zero priority because it's a dead platform.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Forever Winter

Post by Forever Winter »

Konata wrote:IIRC the original NT OS/2 Subsystem only supported non-graphical programs, which makes sense since Windows' windowing system is part of the Win32 Subsystem
The windowing system can be used by every subsystem that wants to use it. There are no restrictions that that prevent subsystems other than win32 to use it.
Konata wrote:so apart from the OS/2 software just not calling the proper API, in NT an application can only have one Environment Subsystem (defined in the executable header).
What do you mean with that? The correct API for an OS/2 application is the OS/2 API, which should be redirected by the subsystem to the system's native one. By the way, just like the
Win16 subsystem, the OS/2 one supports thunking to Win32, so you are free to call every Win32 function you like.
Konata wrote: So in other words, you can't get graphical support. The OS/2 Subsystem would have to be fairly primitive from that standpoint.
If you want to execute PM applications, install the PM addon.
it2pivincent

Post by it2pivincent »

Well, if we support OS/2 programs we can support more programs and games, which is the best for ReactOS.

But, that's Okay if we don't have support for it.

It's just an idea.
Forever Winter

Post by Forever Winter »

The best for ReactOS is to implement/finish features that benefit most of the potential users. Unfortunately, OS/2 support probably isn't one of them.
As much as I would like OS/2 support myself, I guess to find one who is able and willing to do it will be very hard. Maybe at some point far in the future
at least 32-bit OS/2 will work. But for 16-bit OS/2 I think you (and me) are just out of luck, because the needed effort just doesn't justify the benefits,
even if it would be realy cool to have it.

As a note, just to support a bigger number of applications isn't a particularly good argument to justify the programming of a new subsystem for a
different operating system. Especially in the case of 16-bit OS/2 this is in fact a counter-argument and even a subsystem for CP/M would give you
a bigger benefit (This is of course just my personal opinion).
middings

Post by middings »

Q. Want support for OS/2 programs and access OS/2 Drivers?

A. Send two jukebox tops and a trillion dollars to cover postage and handling to "React Foundation"... :lol:
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

I would rather have ReactOS on one computer and OS/2 - eCS - Blue Lion on an another computer.

http://www.os2world.com

https://www.arcanoae.com/ :ugeek: https://www.arcanoae.com/blue-lion/

http://www.ecomstation.com

:geek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
it2pivincent

Post by it2pivincent »

I think we should wait on OS/2 support, until we get some other features done.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

As I said, we will NOT add OS/2 support because the system is non existent anymore. If someone wants to add and maintain the subsystem, he can do so of course, but the current team will not spend ANY resources on a now useless system
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
it2pivincent

Post by it2pivincent »

Okay, Okay. I was just making suggestions. You don't have to be harsh on me.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

I am not harsh. I just am no big fan of saying the same things several times.

it2pivincent

Post by it2pivincent »

Yeah, I will just keep this forum up in case someone will fix this. If it's possible. I don't know if it is.