testing Reac0s 0.5

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

ANIKHTOS

testing Reac0s 0.5

Post by ANIKHTOS »

i learn about reac0s and i immediately download it to give it a try
so far.
1. reactos will not boot in microsoft virtual pc 2007
2. i did manage to install it in virtual box but i could not install the 3d with the virtual box addition
3. i used virtual box so show a whole partition in the reactos it worked but

[*]drag and drop is not working yet. if i press ctrl then drag and drop is working
[*]i have program's that run on windows and do not need installation so i try to run them to get a message no valid win32 application!?!??!
i moved the folder inside the reactos virtual machine and then the same application is a valid win32 and the OS tries to run it.
so the problem is apart from its install directory reactos can not run application from other places, my partitions are ntfs maybe thats the problem???
[*]unistall a program using the unistall do not remove the files or folders, manual delete the folder deletes everything apart the folder!?!?!?, make a restart and then it is possible to delete the empty folder
[*]recycle bin is set to 0, just delete files, put when i delete something is some scenarios files are moved in the recycle bin
[*]delete files takes for ever and cpu usage went up to 100%, the image file of the virtual box is on a rem-drive so the speed ought to be close to zero
[*]i used opera usb 12.16 and i can say it works okey
i manage to install flash player version 16
[*]cpu z did not run
[*]Europa universalis 2, space empires 5, did not run at all (games), cpu usage 100%
[*]lack of 16bit support of programs, means old win16 games not playable
[*]with opera i try to see some video in the net when i clicked to the video instead of seeing it in the browser it prompt me if i want to download the file.

in the good side i found a tool that worked okey
http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm
the rad games tools is a player that allows you to play bik and smk files. these files are video files used by games. IT WORKS
dizt3mp3r

Re: testing Reac0s 0.5

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You aren't testing ReactOS 0.5, that does not yet exist.

ReactOS 0.4 is alpha so expect everything NOT to work.

If you want to seriously raise bugs then do feel free to use Jira, each bug will need to be raised separately.
A search on t'web for reactos jira will find the link you need.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
fLuXx

Post by fLuXx »

What version did you try? ReactOS is in Alpha stage, so no guarantees anything will work. However, many of the problems you mentioned are supposed to be fixed recently. You should always try the latest trunk build (nightly builds), official releases are often outdated. However, if some features are not working, search Jira for a reported bug and if it doesn't exist, log it. The account is the same as for the forum.

I know that virtual PC did work at some point. 3rd party additions in vbox I'm not sure, but I think they also used to work.
ANIKHTOS

Post by ANIKHTOS »

i know it is alpha
i know that everything is not going to work
but i read that if i download it and try it and report you back what happened that will help the community to improve the project
and that what i did

virtual box it installs
virtual pc it does not install
i do not know if you manage to run it in virtual pc but for virtual pc 2007 with the sp is not working reactos would not install
so here i am reporting how the testing is going

more info in testing
game Imperialism
cannot install because the installer is 16bit so i moved the installed folder i have already to the reactos
the game launches okey. but when in game i can not play because i get the no cd message. i imagine reactos do not properly recognize the cd to pass the info to the game. maybe because it has 16 bit autorun??? so there is hope and the testing will continue later i will go to jra to report my findings and report issues
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Jira is your best bet, just raise one issue at a time, with full information.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.