GSOC USB test

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

encoded

GSOC USB test

Post by encoded »

Hi guys, I've put in GSOC USB code into ReactOS trunk. I don't have any real hardware to test it . I don't want to get anyone hopes up, but I'm really curious about to what benefits might be gotten from it. There is more code for this incoming i suspect and this is an unofficial build. I just want to know if anyone has any positive or negative effects from this. Seems to work fine in Virtual Box at least.

bootcd: http://encodedpr.com/files/reactos/temp ... ncoded.iso
livecd: http://encodedpr.com/files/reactos/temp ... ncoded.iso
amber

Re: GSOC USB test

Post by amber »

The same problem as before. FDODeviceExtension->ActiveSrb != NULL. I have a RECYCLER folder on flash stick. When I use it, the system may start to lag. And can go into the debugger. See https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-11367. If necessary, I can put a Debuglog with your build.
klink

Post by klink »

Last edited by klink on Sun Sep 04, 2016 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

This is false positive. Check it at virustotal.com

Avast is bad antivirus.
Last edited by Jedi-to-be on Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
encoded

Post by encoded »

I guess there is another thread with other usb experiments viewtopic.php?f=9&t=14555 This only contains code in gsoc usb branch and no viruses
dark

Post by dark »

This thread should be removed just for security. Why would you download from a third party website? You can build the branches, or wait until a far more official call goes out for testing. Hey please test these drivers a through onto a PHPbb forum is a great way to get a root kit on your PC.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

dark wrote:This thread should be removed just for security. .
Nope. Encoded is known ReactOS developer.

Avast is stupid antivirus.

This file is 100% clean!

https://www.virustotal.com/ru/file/5fea ... 472979564/ - virustotal check
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Avast sucks and encoded is as trusted as ReactOS is. So, it stays open.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
encoded

Post by encoded »

Oh noes my plan to take over the world with root-kited reactos has been discovered! Must fall back to plan B... take over the world with javascript! mouth breather.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Avast is OK but regardless of the default engine FPs always/often occur. Most don't know about virustotal so they have nothing to gauge their experience against.

In any case if any of the a/v engines flags an issue it is ALWAYS sensible to investigate.

Recent experience tells me that malware can find its way into even a supposedly trusted source.

When someone gives feedback like this the important thing to note is that Avast IS giving an FP and that if it worries us, we should flag it as a FP at Avast here: https://www.avast.com/false-positive-file-form.php

Let's be kind to the chap who raised it and treat it with at least some respect and professionalism.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Can we know which file(s) inside the ISO is(are) considered as a false positive by Avast? Is it again crtdll.dll, or something else?
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

autorun.inf
dark

Post by dark »

encoded wrote:Oh noes my plan to take over the world with root-kited reactos has been discovered! Must fall back to plan B... take over the world with javascript! mouth breather.
It's only funny, until you have to deal with the people that willingly install the rootkit because the website told them too... (Which I've done a lot of, I can think at least they pay over a hundred dollars per a mistake; but there's always a new one the next day. Hence why those cryptolocker viruses are so successful). I haven't fixed computers in years and these people will always be problems since once they screw up they blame others and then you have to investigate their claims and kindly explain how they screwed up because they'd rather sue you then accept responsibility.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Recently, the main dev of the Xwidget engine bundled some revenue-generating software into his installation files that cleverly and seamlessly (with seemingly intuitive/normal questions/responses) that bundled different PUPs (potentially unwanted programs for those who don't know) on each installation of his software. Most of it was to insert browser add-ons/hijacks but some of them hijacked the PCs DNS settings and some did far worse.

The dev had no control of what was bundled with his installer and he bought into the revenue-generating side of the scam...

He caused infection/hijacking of hundreds/thousands of PCs and I screamed blue murder all over the forums for six months of more before he finally removed the bundling. His reputation and that of his software has been ruined and his download numbers/users have plummeted when all the major browsers and a/v tools flagged his software quite rightly, as containing malware. He didn't realise the effect, he didn't take it seriously and his software took a beating, hardly anyone uses it now.

END PARABLE.

Any FP report must be taken seriously as reputations can be damaged.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Jedi-to-be

Post by Jedi-to-be »

OK, Back to the topic!

[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Last edited by Jedi-to-be on Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:03 pm, edited 5 times in total.