An idea about directly installation for font

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Vladimir-Suzdal

An idea about directly installation for font

Post by Vladimir-Suzdal »

The current version of ReactOS font viewer have not implemented font installation. Now I have an idea for this since I shared the MS Fontinst tool in this topic, I think its mechanism is need to be focus on. This tool is completely works in ReactOS and works silently, it require fontinst.inf and several font files, when this app is launched, it will copy the font file into C:\ReactOS\Fonts and reg it. Then any text editors, web browsers and so on can use the font installed by Fontinst.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: An idea about directly installation for font

Post by EmuandCo »

SO this is MS Code as it seems. There is no license mentioned, but if it is a part of MS WIndows the link is illegal and thus I completely remove the file link. It will not be included anyway, we ONLY add stuff which we have the code for.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dsp8195

Post by dsp8195 »

More importantly, there is no need to use any third-party tools for font installation. You can simply copy the font file into ReactOS\Fonts directory (although the "Install/Deinstall" button in Font Viewer, as well as navigation buttons that don't exist in Windows Font Viewer) would be convenient.

Whenever they would be auto-registered is another question which the shell developers will have to answer.
Vladimir-Suzdal

This is not a part of MS Windows, but MS uses this tool in their font distributions to install the font directly. In fact Windows has its own font installation methods, many versions of Windows can install the font via drag it into Control Panel\Fonts, since Windows Vista, Windows Font Viewer can install the font directly via Install button. On this material I found fontinst.exe have been hosted on ftp.microsoft.com, but this server is no longer accessed now.

See:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/mscore ... Fonts/win/
https://sourceforge.net/projects/corefo ... nts/final/
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/search/ ... 6_13_19_20

Recent version of Font Viewer in ReactOS does not support font installation, when click the install button, it would notice this function have not implemented. So I have to use fontinst.exe instead.
Vladimir-Suzdal

I found another utility which set an good example of installation & registration.

http://code.kliu.org/misc/fontreg/
middings

Post by middings »

I assume that what Vladimir-Suzdal really wants is not the inclusion of Microsoft's Fontinst.exe program into ReactOS nor even a ReactOS version of that 16-bit program which Microsoft no longer distributes. I assume that Vladimir-Suzdal would like ReactOS to have a smooth and simple built-in way to install additional fonts and add them to the ReactOS registry.

There appears to be an independent replacement for Microsoft's Fontinst.exe program called Fontreg.exe. This does not appear to be Microsoft's utility of the same name mentioned in Microsoft KB133732. It is a C program available in 32- and 64-bit versions and source code appears to be available. The KLIU.org web page claims that this program runs under Microsoft Windows 2000 and newer windows-type operating systems. Unfortunately there appears to be no information about licensing or release to the public domain.

Vladimir-Suzdal could try Fontreg.exe with ReactOS and see if that meets Vladimir-Suzdal's requirements.

(Edited 7 September 2016 to include mention of Microsoft's Fontreg utility and KB133732.)
Last edited by middings on Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vladimir-Suzdal

OK this would be useful to avoid an unexpected result as Microsoft article https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/133732 pointed out. I will try it later.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

It still can't and won't be added, because it's binary and not source code.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Vladimir-Suzdal

EmuandCo wrote:It still can't and won't be added, because it's binary and not source code.
I don’t want to add that, instead, I think ReactOS Font Viewer should make this implementation.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Aaah, now I understand you.... sry. Well, I never needed it, but feel free to make a feature request @ Jira

Vladimir-Suzdal

middings wrote:Vladimir-Suzdal could try Fontreg.exe with ReactOS and see if that meets Vladimir-Suzdal's requirements.

They are what I have seen when I install the Oyun Qagan Tig and DDC Uchen font by click “Install” button.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]

After I install them via FontReg.exe, I can see the effects. One effect can be seen on Registry editor.
[ external image ]

You can also see the effect when browse this article.