Back to Website

My specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

My specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Postby dizt3mp3r » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:31 pm

If anyone says, "what's the point in ReactOS, I have Windows, why would I want ReactOS instead?" I give them this list:

1. Safe browsing in a virtual ReactOS sandbox (Firefox)
2. A platform for development using legacy environments (VB6)
3. A platform for widget desktop development and packaging (Yahoo Widget Engine)
4. A platform for graphical design (Photoshop CS ver 8.0 - the oldest and still the best)
5. A platform that I can theme fully without patching.
6. A platform that I can change the underlying o/s fonts, colours without the GUI denying me this capability.
7. A platform I can bundle and distribute with my own customisations - a Windows/ReactOS distro.
8. A platform that I can use multiple instances of for testing
9. A platform that I can build into any x86 computer by default.
10. No licensing restrictions
11. Full DOS gaming under NTVDM.
12. All/most older/current 32bit Windows apps should just function.
13. All/most older/current 32bit Windows drivers should just function.
14. Access to all legacy apps that stopped working under NT6+
15. Access to source code if required for bug-fixing or just for analysis.
16. Real support from a dedicated and growing ReactOS community, you can actually report bugs and obtain feedback!
17. Real support from the Windows community too for all apps/driver problems, at the very least for comparison purposes.
18. Documentation will exist for ReactOS, documentation is always good!
19. Escape from Microsoft's eternal UI redesign - controls, options, everything are right back where I want them to be.
20. Freedom from forced obsolescence by design, being forced by MS to abandon useful software.
21. Freedom to use the o/s of my choice without abandoning all my prior knowledge and experience.
22. There are no restrictions with regard to functionality removed from the different home/professional versions, there are no crippled versions!
23. It is free of DRM restrictions.
24. Gaining an old and familiar desktop environment.
25. Gaining an o/s that is quicker to boot, much slimmer with regard to footprint, and much more efficient in operation.
26. It is free, completely! No licence costs for multiple servers. Multiple instances cost nothing.
27. Bug fixing - ReactOS is open source. The code is reviewed by MANY eyes and bugs are caught and fixed, rather than ignored and buried.
28. No metro apps that consume more resources than needed.
29. No possibility of unwanted or undocumented telemetry data-mining your system, ReactOS will not expose your data thus also saving bandwidth.
30. The ability to port an NT-compatible OS to hypervisors with paravirtualizing capabilities.
31. Ability to compile the source code and know how an NT compatible system actually works, or at the very least, get an idea of how it works.
32. NSA backdoors less likely due to peer review of the open source codebase allowing monitoring and quick fixing. The code is reviewed by MANY eyes and security flaws are caught and fixed, rather than ignored and buried.
33. Can run on many different types of filesystems, FAT32, NTFS, IFS.
34. I want an o/s that does not complain and stop booting when I change the hardware beyond what it thinks should be in my PC.
35. No need ever to call Microsoft to re-enable software I have already purchased.
36. Has the potential for compilation to other hardware platforms and not just x86 but potentially ARM, powerPC &c leading to a multiplatform NT compatible o/s!
37. Extends the capabilities of XP/2003 to encompass newer technologies that were not present in the original versions of these o/s.
38. No unwanted advertising on various o/s components (login screen, live tiles &c)
39. Allows creation of specific distros, stripped down or focussed for gaming purposes, themeing, server operation, POS systems &c.

Please add to the list.
Last edited by dizt3mp3r on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:58 am, edited 12 times in total.
dizt3mp3r

Re: My specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Postby milon » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:40 pm

27. It's open source. The code is reviewed by MANY eyes and bugs / security flaws are caught and fixed, rather than ignored and buried.
milon

Postby ROCKNROLLKID » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:49 pm

28. No metro apps that consume more resources than needed.
29. No telemetry that data mines your system and saves bandwidth.

This list is great, but I don't know how many Windows people actually care about stuff like this. You have to remember that majority of people that are on Windows are people that aren't too experience with tech stuff or just plain old don't care about it at all (like telemetry, open-source, old hardware compatibility, etc).
ROCKNROLLKID

Postby Blackcrack » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:36 pm

nice :)
Blackcrack

Postby ROCKNROLLKID » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:38 pm

30. Can run on many different types of filesystems, since NTFS hasn't really been updated since XP times.

Most of them aren't implanted, yet, but it is also a good point to bring up.
ROCKNROLLKID

Postby Murmur » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:23 pm

I work as a Windows Administrator and the idea that we can have a ReactOS server interact with windows desktop clients would be of a great interest to me.

-Think of being able to replace windows servers which cost a great deal in maintenance fees with a free alternative.

-Being able to bundle ROS with software (Installing up a huge software that takes a long time to setup could be easily just installed on a pc pre-setup such as a web server / wordpress)

-Having a server which is lightweight and can handle a single task such as managing a SQL database with little overhead.

-Being able to have a free VM when you only want to host a single program on it such as legacy software, test environment or tools.
Murmur

Postby Blackcrack » Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:49 pm

Murmur wrote:I work as a Windows Administrator and the idea that we can have a ReactOS server interact with windows desktop clients would be of a great interest to me.

-Think of being able to replace windows servers which cost a great deal in maintenance fees with a free alternative.

+1

WinXP it is in this case re-programmed thru the Programmer Community up to WinNT server 2003 if i not wrong..
unter GPL2 fully without MS Code over a clean room.. because it is give diffrent possibility to a goal .

Murmur wrote:-Being able to bundle ROS with software (Installing up a huge software that takes a long time to setup could be easily just installed on a pc pre-setup such as a web server / wordpress)

-Having a server which is lightweight and can handle a single task such as managing a SQL database with little overhead.

-Being able to have a free VM when you only want to host a single program on it such as legacy software, test environment or tools.

this works later like in XP with an OEM-Folder where it is later possible for
silenceinstall /unattended installs what the peoples whant..
the whole.. or the most setups it is able for use /silence, /qn and /s and /quite swiches
for let it installes in the installation, my self have use the nlite and have build up
my own XP installs, wthis schould works like i guess, in Reactos too..

You can send every time paches and so on..
and make big advertising for ROS at your Colleagues and other people,
the Reactos mus be made known by the Peoples and other programmers
in your environment/sphere :)

best regards
Blacky
Blackcrack

Postby JHKr0md1yk » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:39 pm

my €0,02.

-The ability to port an NT based OS to other platforms, including hypervisors with paravirtualizing capabilities, without having to wait for the Redmond guys to do it themselves. Keep an eye out on OpenPOWER and RISC-V; either one or both ISAs show great promise and might acually be the next big thing(s) in the CPU ISA landscape if the Intel Management Engine or AMD AGESA practices get out of hand.

-No hidden backdoors (NSAkey anyone?).
JHKr0md1yk

Postby Blackcrack » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:51 pm

JHKr0md1yk wrote:-No hidden backdoors (NSAkey anyone?).

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Open Source under GPL :mrgreen: self-talking ;)

best regards
Blacky
Blackcrack

Postby ROCKNROLLKID » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:53 pm

- Ability to use open-source drivers from AMD/Nvidia/etc that Microsoft/Windows has refused to do.
ROCKNROLLKID

Postby JHKr0md1yk » Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:54 am

Blackcrack wrote:
JHKr0md1yk wrote:-No hidden backdoors (NSAkey anyone?).

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Open Source under GPL :mrgreen: self-talking ;)

best regards
Blacky

While the point in question might be already implicitly included in the GPL2 FOSS software benefit bullet point, I felt it being worthy enough to be brought up as a standalone point, especially in this age of digital espionage.

No offense taken though ;) .
JHKr0md1yk

Postby Blackcrack » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:39 am

:D hihi, np.

best regards
Blacky
Blackcrack

Postby ROCKNROLLKID » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:11 pm

- Being able to compile the source code and know how NT actually works, or at the very least, get an idea of how it works.

Since Windows is the number 1 OS, maybe people could be curious how NT works to begin with.
ROCKNROLLKID

Next

Return to General Discussion and Feedback