67 specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Fraizeraust

Re: My specific reasons for wanting ReactOS:

Post by Fraizeraust »

"Really fast installation" is a subjective term. While, indeed, the installation process is quite simple compared to Windows installations you must put in consideration your hardware specifications like how fast a CPU elaborates the binary information.

My ReactOS installation (which I did it just today) on a real hardware took like 6 minutes and 23 seconds (both the 1st and 2nd setup stage). I also wasted a minute by booting ReactOS two times because of some issues so the real timing would be 5. The hardware that I used has Intel Celeron D 3.04 GHz (old CPU) and 512 MB of RAM. Hopefully this test is enough for dizt3mp3r to backup cernodile's statement.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
cernodile

Post by cernodile »

Fraizeraust wrote:"Really fast installation" is a subjective term. While, indeed, the installation process is quite simple compared to Windows installations you must put in consideration your hardware specifications like how fast a CPU elaborates the binary information.

My ReactOS installation (which I did it just today) on a real hardware took like 6 minutes and 23 seconds (both the 1st and 2nd setup stage). I also wasted a minute by booting ReactOS two times because of some issues so the real timing would be 5. The hardware that I used has Intel Celeron D 3.04 GHz (old CPU) and 512 MB of RAM. Hopefully this test is enough for dizt3mp3r to backup cernodile's statement.
I guess it should be really easy to setup for VM then? Seeing that real hardware might take a bit longer. But still relatively fast compared to Windows installation. XP Installer takes like x10 the time for me.
My working rigs:
Dell Latitude E5430 on 0.4.9-vgal - i5-3340M, USB boot.
Partially working rigs:
Ryzen 7 3700X on B450 board - 0.4.14 boot via preinstall. USB broken.
[ external image ]
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

A clean install of XP with all unnecessary hardware removed - on a fast drive should take no more than say, 15-20 mins, 30 mins at the outside? A similar install of ReactOS will take no more than 10mins? Can we say this with some certainty? Or is it too early to do so?

I suppose an install time that varies from 10-15mins is not such a big deal but I'll add it to the list. 5-10 would certainly be worth mentioning it is likely.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

41. Fast installation times - sub 10 mins - suggested by Cernodile
42. NT6 application compatibility allowing you to run Vista/Win7 (NT6) desktop programs on an NT5 based system.

Added to the list.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

dizt3mp3r wrote:A clean install of XP with all unnecessary hardware removed - on a fast drive should take no more than say, 15-20 mins, 30 mins at the outside? A similar install of ReactOS will take no more than 10mins? Can we say this with some certainty? Or is it too early to do so?

I suppose an install time that varies from 10-15mins is not such a big deal but I'll add it to the list. 5-10 would certainly be worth mentioning it is likely.
I'm pretty sure the reason for this is Windows XP doesn't use CD-ROM DMA mode when installing. This can be tested when running under Windows PE based on XP. Replacing the default IDE driver in Windows with Uniata will enable CD-ROM DMA if availible.
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

cernodile wrote:41. Really fast installation of the OS, faster than any Windows ever installed on any device.
already as 25 ?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

25 is a generalisation, 41 is specific.

We could just add one item "1. ReactOS is better".
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

How about:
1. ReactOS is still in Alpha, so it will eat your harddisk.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

learn_more wrote:How about:
1. ReactOS is still in Alpha, so it will eat your harddisk.
Not sure whether that is an improvement, however, it may be a characteristic.

It certainly shouldn't be an aim.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

43. Bundling ReactOS as a virtual platform with legacy Windows applications that no longer run under later versions of Windows to allow continued access to legacy programs and/or data. When you compile your code and distribute your binary with a complete o/s for live running or test purposes.
tverweij

Post by tverweij »

After reading this: https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing ... s-polaris/

where is stated that (although this is still speculation):
There’s even talk of Win32 app functionality being removed, making it so anything not built using Microsoft’s UWP wouldn’t function.

While it seems unlikely that Microsoft would remove that functionality entirely — the suggestion is virtualization and cloud-streaming could allow legacy apps to still run on Polaris — Microsoft has been very keen to push people towards the Microsoft Store.
My reason to want reactOS is to have a supported version of Windows that runs Win32 applications without the need of virtualization or cloud solutions.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

[Redacted] - my reaction - not for this thread.

I'll re-word your suggestion so it fits the list, thanks for that.
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

ReactOS is a F(L)OSS implementation of MS Windows.
Isn't it enough to understand why one would want it?
It's like somethig...
FFF - Freedom For Free.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Adcock wrote:ReactOS is a F(L)OSS implementation of MS Windows.
Isn't it enough to understand why one would want it?
It's like somethig...
FFF - Freedom For Free.
No, unfortunately...
Adcock

Post by Adcock »

Browsing internet and downloading. ( Mozilla Firefox )
Playing games. ( Battle for Wesnoth, FreeOrion, Thyme, OpenRA )
Being able to play dos games and hack DOS software safely using RVDM in a comfy way.
Playing commercial games in a libre environment. ( Good Old Gaming, Steaming )
No spying. ( ? )
No bandwidth usage without my permission. ( That Same Corporation )
Watching movies and music playing. ( MPC, MPCBE, VLC )
Internet radio listening. ( AIMP, Foobar2000, VLC )
Video and audio streaming. ( VLC, Mozilla Firefox )
Video and audio recording. ( CamStudio )
Blending and GIMPing and....I mean 3D modeling and image editing.
IRC Chating.
Archiving. ( 7ZIP, LZIP )
Ripping.
DJing. ( Mixxx )
Office working. ( Libre Office, Abiword )
Game making. ( Godot, OpenRA, Spring )
Programming. ( Code::Blocks, Notepad++ )
Video conferencing.
Video calling.
Video editing.
VOIPing. (Ekiga)
Audio editing.
PDF reading. ( Sumatra PDF )
Torrenting.
There is more.
I want to do all that.