Work-in-progress 0.4.4 changelog

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

oldman

Re: Work-in-progress 0.4.4 changelog

Post by oldman »

ctasan wrote:You're all welcome! :) And also my morale has increased!

Now, let's make this changelogs noticeable. Any ideas?
Persuade Victor (vicmarcal) to put it on the front page at https://www.reactos.org, possibly as a blog.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
middings

Post by middings »

Consider putting your work into the ReactOS Wiki.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

I have noticed vicmarcal and he said it would go into Wiki (0.4.3 one) but he did nothing.

How can I put it? If I just create a page without links to anywhere, how will it make sense?
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Victor doesn't do the changelogs and I no longer do them, Amine handles that portion of the release process now.
middings

Post by middings »

Consider putting your work into the ReactOS Wiki. (Note: if you do this, many other people will be able to edit, add to, or subtract from your work.) You can make a new page in the ReactOS.org/wiki and give it a name such as "ChangeLog-0.4.4 Overview". You can copy your work from the ReactOS Forum, then paste it into the new Wiki page. If you choose to do this, please post a link to that page here.

These instructions are a hack. There is probably a better, more official way to add a page to a Wiki but I haven't found out how to do it yet.

How to Make a ReactOS Wiki Page that Is Linked to Another ReactOS Wiki Page:
  • Insert Link to New Page in an Existing Page
    (In these instructions the new page will be linked to the 0.4.4 release page.)
  1. Open this link: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/0.4.4
    (use a new browser tab or window to make following the rest of these instructions easier)
  2. If you are already logged in to the ReactOS Wiki, there will be a tab labeled "Edit" near the top of the page. If you are not logged in, log in with your ReactOS Forum credentials.
  3. Find the heading marked "Links" on the page. Choose the [Edit] link on the right side of "Links".
  4. The page will now be presented in the Wiki software's page edit mode. The raw data for the page will be in the large text box below a box of formatting instructions.
  5. Add this line (you may copy and paste) inside the text box and immediately below the line that begins "* [[ChangeLog...":

Code: Select all

* [[ChangeLog-0.4.4-overview|ChangeLog overview for this Release]]
    The result will probably look similar to this:

Code: Select all

== Links ==
    * [[ChangeLog-0.4.4|ChangeLog for this Release]]
    * [[ChangeLog-0.4.4-overview|ChangeLog overview for this Release]]
    * [[Tests for 0.4.4|Tests for this Release]]
    {{Navigation Versions}}
  6. Scroll to the bottom of the web page.
  7. Check the box marked "This is a minor edit". You may check or leave empty the box marked "Watch this page".
  8. Enter "Added link to ChangeLog-0.4.4-overview page" in the Summary field.
  9. Choose the "Publish" button near the top of the page.
  • Make New Page
  • In the page just edited, find the new link you just added ("ChangeLog overview for this Release") and choose it.
  • A page titled "ChangeLog-0.4.4-overview" should appear. Below the page title should be the message:
    "There is currently no text in this page. You can search for this page title in other pages, search the related logs, or edit this page."
  • Choose the "Create" tab or the link marked "edit this page". (Both actions do the same thing.)
  • The page will now be presented in the Wiki software's page edit mode. The large text box below a box of formatting instructions will be blank because there is no raw data for the page yet.
  • Write and format your new page (you may copy and paste) inside the text box. You can look at other ReactOS Wiki pages that have features you want for your page while in page edit mode to see how those features were made. (NOTE: Not every ReactOS Wiki page is editable by low-privilege users like me.) You can also use the Wikipedia's Help:Wiki Markup page as a guide. Most of the basic Wikipedia page layout features should work in the ReactOS Wiki. This Wikipedia page is available in many languages.
  • When ready to preview what the new web page will look like, choose the "Show preview" button at the bottom of the page. Do not worry if the page's appearance is poor. You and others can edit it later.
  • When ready to save the new web page you made, scroll to the bottom of the web page.
  • Clear the box marked "This is a minor edit". (NOTE: Fixing grammar, punctuation, misspellings, typographical errors, and minor layout adjustments are minor edits. Making a new page or changing the information (adding or deleting) within an existing page are not minor edits.) You may check or leave empty the box marked "Watch this page".
  • When ready to save (publish) the new web page, choose the "Save page" button at the bottom of the page.
  • Enter "Create ChangeLog-0.4.4-overview page" as the summary of the new page.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll try first contacting Amine, if it not works, then I'll add them.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Do not attempt to make that sort of change unilaterally to those pages, those serve as effectively official records of the releases. I'm actually surprised Amine hadn't locked that one down yet, every previous release after it went out those wiki pages get protected.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Sure, I'll not be attempting that. Instead, if changelogs don't get accepted, probably I'll open a page like "Community Changelogs". Then I may need your help, for example adding a link into main page.
middings

Post by middings »

Z98 wrote:Do not attempt to make that sort of change unilaterally to those pages...
I agree. My instructions to ctasan do not make changes to the existing changelog. They describe how ctasan can make his own separate page. I suggested that ctasan call it "ChangeLog-0.4.4-overview". The name "Community Changelog 0.4.4" (ctasan's suggested name from a recent post in this topic, plus the release number) seems better than my suggestion. The name ctasan suggests implies that it is not the ReactOS Project's formal, authoritative changelog.
I'm actually surprised Amine hadn't locked that one down yet...
Amine did lock down the changelogs he made.

The "Edit" tab does not appear on Amine's changelog pages, at least not for me. I assume that is because my ordinary user's privilege level for the ReactOS Wiki does not allow me to edit Amine's changelog pages. That is OK.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

I don't see that tab either, so it seems to be locked.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

I have nothing to do with this Wiki pages. Maybe I can request help for placing links to changelogs, if Amine rejects.
middings

Post by middings »

PurpleGurl wrote:I don't see that tab either, so it seems to be locked.
z98 locked the page https://www.reactos.org/wiki/0.4.4 on 21 February.
I never considered that page to be a change log. I understood it to be only
a release announcement page.
https://www.reactos.org/wiki/ChangeLog-0.4.4 is that page that
I believed to be a change log (specifically the change log for release 0.4.4).

Oh well. I'm embarrassed.

It is still possible for someone with my privilege level of Lowly Worm to make a new page named "ChangeLog-0.4.4-overview" in the ReactOS Wiki. It just won't be linkable to any of the 'cool' pages by someone with my modest privilege level. To create that page, make these changes in the instructions I provided earlier:
  1. Disregard the entire "Insert Link to New Page in an Existing Page" section.
  2. In the "Make New Page" section, change step 1 to:
    1. Open this link: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/ChangeLog-0.4.4-overview.
To create a page with the name "Community Changelog 0.4.4", replace "ChangeLog-0.4.4-overview" with "Community_Changelog_0.4.4". The Wiki software replaces the character _ (underline) with a space character. The Wiki software also allows the character string %20 to represent the space character in Uniform Resource Locators (URLs).
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

If you look at previous release pages, you'll notice that all of them are locked by default. Hence my surprise it was editable in the first place.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

Still no answer. Waiting...
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

I decided to add changelogs myself. Expect work on Wiki.

Z98, if appropriate, please add links to my changelogs under version pages after I finish.