Kernel compatibility layer

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

reactosuser7

Kernel compatibility layer

Post by reactosuser7 »

According to Wikipedia says that there is a fork of ReactOS thinking in Windows 8 compatibility:

"ReactOS NG (2015) — aiming for compatibility with Windows 8[96]"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS#cite_note-96

https://github.com/wjk/rosng

Could some developers work on a kernel compatibility layer with an aim to allow running Windows Vista/7/8/10 -only applications on actual ReactOS with NT 5.2 kernel?

The same concept as 'kernelex'
https://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex/

(When nearly all developers are focusing in developing ReactOS with NT 5.2 kernel,
other could focus on developing this 'Windows Vista/7/8/10 kernelex').

Some kind of kernel patching with this 'Windows Vista/7/8/10 kernelex' ?
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: Kernel compatibility layer

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

I am not aware of any of ReactOS forks still being developed, except for Greentea OS, but I doubt that one will last very long.

Kernelex is similar to how WINE works, except WINE can do a whole lot more.

As for the developers of the fork, they are always welcome here, but you know there are reasons why they make those forks anyways, and most of it is because they have different priorities for ReactOS. It is the same of how Linux works.
florian

Post by florian »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:I am not aware of any of ReactOS forks still being developed, except for Greentea OS [...].
Exactly. Latest of ROS NG commits on 7 Dec 2015...
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

florian wrote:Exactly. Latest of ROS NG commits on 7 Dec 2015...
And they only deleted a file, renamed some files, changed variable names, and edited the code to fix what changing the variables had broken. So there is nothing that can be considered new code.

To answer Reactosuser7, I don't see why someone cannot attempt to create such an app for Windows XP/2003 as a separate project. Then if it works, it can be added to ReactOS. Now Z98 has explained in the past why mixing APIs between 5.2 and 6.x won't work well. But what you could do might be to change the versioning on a per application basis. That way, older apps see XP/2003 while newer apps will see 8.x or 10 or whatever.
Svyatpro

Post by Svyatpro »

Check one-core-api compatibility layer for WinXP/2003.
*removed*

This project needs contributors, those he can help it to develop faster.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

So someone took my advice. That's way cool!
reactosuser7

Post by reactosuser7 »

Svyatpro wrote:Check one-core-api compatibility layer for WinXP/2003.

*removed*

This project needs contributors, those he can help it to develop faster.
At last!
That´s what I had talking about.

My prayers was listen. :D

Thanks for
One-Core-API
developers.

We hope that joining efforts between One-Core-API developers and ReactOS Project will make ReactOS to be able to
run modern programs design for Windows Vista/7/8/10.

https://jira.reactos.org/browse/CORE-12627
CORE-12627
petr-akhlamov

Post by petr-akhlamov »

reactosuser7 wrote: According to Wikipedia says that there is a fork of ReactOS thinking in Windows 8 compatibility:

"ReactOS NG (2015) — aiming for compatibility with Windows 8[96]"
ROCKNROLLKID wrote:I am not aware of any of ReactOS forks still being developed, except for Greentea OS, but I doubt that one will last very long.
Oh, my editing .
When i added this information, i wrote next: "With using openness of system, periodically created forks, based on ReactOS, wich after some time, after creation are abandoned." (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?ti ... =733126059) But why this replaced to: "Forks based on ReactOS are occasionally created:"?
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Possibly because the original English was not clear or perhaps not entirely grammatically correct. Someone, somewhere was trying to be helpful and altered the meaning unintentionally.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.