Some spare motherboards for testing

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

WorldBlender

Some spare motherboards for testing

Post by WorldBlender »

I have several motherboards that are at my home, but currently are not being used, nor are they likely to be used be me again in the future, as I have newer hardware. I thought about trying to test ReactOS on these boards, but my setups will become very messy every time I want to do so. All but one of the boards I have available have been manufactured between 2001 to 2005, which fits the Windows XP era) So in order to do some cleaning in my house and do something for this project at the same time, I want to either give away for sell the following motherboards, preferably individually (though I'm actually motivated more by wanting to just give the hardware away rather than getting a profit):
  • PC CHIPS M825G, AMD Sempron CPU, VIA VT8235 chipset
  • For EMachines T2042, IMPERIAL_GL_VE 20021111, Intel Celeron CPU, Intel 915?? chipset
  • Shuttle AB49N, Intel Pentium 4 CPU@3.20 gHz (may be defective/ have stopped working; the board still works), Intel 945?? chipset
  • Gigabyte GA-6OXET (manufactured during the Windows 98 era, about 2000), Intel Pentium III CPU, Intel 815EP chipset
Do you inquire for more about the hardware specs? Just ask me; this is just the basic stuff for now.

If you need any additional hardware to go with this stuff, tell me; I have a limited amount of legacy hardware on my hands. I can give one or more of these things along with one of the above motherboards (it's up to you to supply the rest of the hardware, because I don't want to spend more money on a sinking ship (old/aging hardware); I want to follow what the future may bring (unless that entails more manufacturer-imposed restrictions on computing freedom):
  • ~4 40 GB hard drives
  • Some IDE cables
  • Some floppy drive cables
  • 3 USB PCI cards, one of which is different
  • 2 Firewire/1394 PCI cards
  • ~4 AGP video cards
  • ~8 sticks of 256 MB DDR RAM
By giving away/selling this stuff, we'll get a wider pool of real hardware to test ReactOS on, so that it will have a better chance of running on real hardware. Hardware is given away/sold on a first come, first-serve basis. I will not actually give or starting selling immediately until a deal is confirmed. After confirmation, I can sell one or more of the hardware onto an online shopping site (most likely be using eBay), or directly ship the hardware (I need more knowledge on how to do this, though). Just ask me if you have any questions.
This is currently the best I can do. I'm getting there on my programming skills, but it's not enough to help with this project at the source-code level. But what I can do for now is give away some of my hardware for testing purposes, without returns.
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: Some spare motherboards for testing

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

ReactOS has quite a lot of testers, even ones with old/ancient systems like that, so not sure if anyone is really interested in actually buying that. You should also note that ReactOS is just a bunch on volunteers like you and me that are building upon this.

Anyways, if you want to help out, maybe you can just build a test system and test with your own real hardware, instead of a VM, which will help give more accurate test results then it would under a VM.

While, it is a nice old system during XP times, I think ReactOS needs more modern systems to test on, like people who have SSDs and next gen GPUs, etc. I, for one, have both and I think Blackcrack has a SSD, too (just assuming since he also pushed for getting F2FS working). Not sure who else does, though.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:ReactOS has quite a lot of testers, even ones with old/ancient systems like that, so not sure if anyone is really interested in actually buying that. You should also note that ReactOS is just a bunch on volunteers like you and me that are building upon this.

Anyways, if you want to help out, maybe you can just build a test system and test with your own real hardware, instead of a VM, which will help give more accurate test results then it would under a VM.

While, it is a nice old system during XP times, I think ReactOS needs more modern systems to test on, like people who have SSDs and next gen GPUs, etc. I, for one, have both and I think Blackcrack has a SSD, too (just assuming since he also pushed for getting F2FS working). Not sure who else does, though.
...and new generic drivers for newer hardware.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
WorldBlender

Post by WorldBlender »

After some deeper thinking, I'm motivated much more by wanting to get rid of some clutter in my house, so I may continue selling this hardware, most likely on eBay, but it will no longer be geared specifically for be testing ReactOS on.
WorldBlender

Post by WorldBlender »

Yay! I'm finally getting some of my motherboards sold. In the meantime, the machines I'm likely to test ReactOS on use newer hardware (ranging from 2008 to 2010; this hardware has been designed for Windows Vista to Windows 7), which means that:
  • SATA ports are more prevalent than IDE ports.
  • PCI Express ports comes up more often.
  • HD audio replaces AC' 97.
  • Maybe I could come across Gigabit Ethernet.
  • At minimum, I'm using DDR2 memory, within that, I will test with st least 2 GB.
  • So far, the CPUs used will be Intel-based, using LGA775 sockets. At minimum, dual-core CPUs will be used, and all of them I use will support 64-bit opcodes.
I'm opening myself and others to get ReactOS in newer hardware soon! :D Details of the new hardware will be revealed in the coming days.
milon

Post by milon »

I hope you've got an optical drive or other reliable means of getting the installer onto the target PC. USB booting isn't there yet. (Sadly - I could do so much more testing if it were!)