Fact or fiction?

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

reactosuser7

Fact or fiction?

Post by reactosuser7 »

I have founded a few articles claimming that 'Microsoft bought ReactOS by $12.3 Billion and ReactOS would be use as Windows 9 core'

This is one of them:

http://web.archive.org/web/201201061639 ... 23-billion

The project is still alive and progressing , so it is a lie.
But surely someone got scared.

But there is a mistery: Why the 9th version of Windows is called 'Windows 10' , instead of 'Windows 9' ?
Coincidence?

Or could be true and false at the same time, considering ReactOS is still incomplete and in this 'eternal' alpha
developing stage.

Could Microsoft just bought ReactOS and let ReactOS Team free to still 'developing' but having the control of
of ReactOS project, knowing that they will 'never' finish a complete functional Windows compliant Operating System ?

:?:

This make us to ask how safe is ReactOS?

My apologies for this topic, I just found this article years before and I doubt about it.

And with all themes, one couldn´t avoid thinking in conspiracy teories.

And knowing what evil Microsoft is, and ReactOS purpose to replace (in same way) Windows, it is natural to
think if Microsoft could buy or even sabotage , or trying to do something to harm ReactOS project.
ROCKNROLLKID

Re: Fact or fiction?

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Ok, a few things.

1. Obviously this never happened as ReactOS does not have any Microsoft logos, trademarks, etc on it.

2. Windows 8.1 was suppose to be Windows Blue (aka Windows 9), not Windows 10.

3. Your forgetting that ReactOS was somewhat rebooted and focus was changed to try and get XP/2003 features working when previously it was a Win98 clone.
middings

Post by middings »

April Fools from 2011!
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

middings wrote:April Fools from 2011!
You beat me to it. I was going to suggest that they check the date of the article (Fri, 2011-04-01).
milon

Post by milon »

Also, "Windows 9" got skipped because of 95/98 and the ensuing search engine confusion that would cause. At least, that's what a friend in the software engineering field told me.
dark

Post by dark »

milon wrote:Also, "Windows 9" got skipped because of 95/98 and the ensuing search engine confusion that would cause. At least, that's what a friend in the software engineering field told me.
Doubt it, most stuff from that era predates being put on the internet so you have to find it in book form. I still think they copied OSX to also be "10".
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

It wasn't search problems, it was shitty software that looked at the name of the OS they were on, stopped at Windows 9, and assumed that that meant they were running 95 or 98. And considering the quality of software that I've seen from that era, I can easily see this being a problem.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

It would be a wonder if Win10 would run Win95/8 era software at all.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Another possible story (have doubts) is that 8.1 was supposed to be 9, and that some software (?) might add the numbers together. I don't see why anyone would have done that, knowing the Microsoft might have made a 9.