Testing ReactOS: Debbuging

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

reactosuser7

Testing ReactOS: Debbuging

Post by reactosuser7 »

To show debbuging info when testing aplications and drivers,

Is it necesary to use only bootcd-xxxxx-dbg.7z and/or livecd-xxxxx -dbg.7z ISO image from Trunk Builds download site?
https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds

Or it is necesary to use ReactOS Build Environment (RosBE) ?

I had read the article but it is not so clear for me:

https://reactos.org/wiki/Debugging#Real ... rial_cable

https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Testing_Introduction

It says it is necesary to compile ReactOS first.
But in the upper page says it can be done with latest builds form Trunk Builds.

I just giving my first steps to be a ReactOS apps tester.

The idea is to produce the same debbuging info as posted in JIRA.

Sorry if the question is obvious.
I have no experience in doing such things.
middings

Re: Testing ReactOS: Debugging

Post by middings »

The ReactOS Wiki page named "Debugging" is difficult to understand.
It is almost an example of a recursive tutorial. (To understand a recursive tutorial, you must already understand the tutorial when you begin the tutorial.) :lol:

ReactOS Forum member oldman wrote a helpful web page of 'layman's guide' debugging articles.
Here is a direct link to oldman's article "A layman's guide - How to get a debug log."

The most convenient method of debugging ReactOS requires two computers. Both computers must have a serial port. (USB serial port adapters will not work.) One computer is called the host. The host can run Microsoft Windows (recommended for new testers) or Linux (requires Linux expertise). The host controls the other computer, called the target. The host runs a serial communication software such as PuTTY. The target is the computer running the software being debugged. The host and target are connected by their serial ports using a serial null-modem cable. (I use a serial null-modem cable called a Laplink serial cable.) The host sends debugger commands to the target and receives data from the target.

Install ReactOS built with the debug option on the target. The trunk builds with "dbg" in their names are built with the debug option. Avoid "msvc" trunk builds. Building ReactOS yourself is not necessary unless you wish to build your own customized version of ReactOS with special patches.

Note: Do not file bugs found in your own customized version of ReactOS. If you find a bug in your own customized version of ReactOS, test a trunk build that is similar to your customized version of ReactOS. If that trunk build also shows the bug then file that bug in JIRA using the name of the trunk build with the bug.

If you do not have two computers, the next best way to debug ReactOS is to use a virtual machine (VM). This is an advanced technique. Oldman's 'layman's guide' articles do not discuss debugging ReactOS using a VM. The simplest and crudest method of capturing debug information is photographing the screen of the computer running ReactOS. A digital camera or a camera-equipped mobile phone can be used. Oldman's article discusses this briefly in the portion called "Variations".
Last edited by middings on Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
reactosuser7

Re: Testing ReactOS: Debbuging

Post by reactosuser7 »

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I had an old Pentium III PC and my main PC has COM and Parallel serial ports.
And I found a parallel serial cable.

I will test ReactOS LiveCD soon.
milon

Re: Testing ReactOS: Debbuging

Post by milon »

Don't forget to post your results on the PC ROS Rigs page (https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs)