Suggestion: Task Manager

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

mrfrisky330

Suggestion: Task Manager

Post by mrfrisky330 »

Idea: Because you have the ability now to produce an OS that unlike Microsofts isn't purposely bad with resource management, full of security holes, and uses dialog boxes/forms spanning 20 years. in one product How about bringing some of the joy of Linux into the project?

I was thinking in particular about process management via the Task Manager, The traditional Windows process management is pretty poor, is it possible to write something that actually works i.e. you can kill processes instead of the old Windows way, of them hanging around and being largely invincible and most of the actual process running you can't even see. Have proper process priorities and full traceability like in (for example) Ubuntu's System Monitor?

The future of this project is potentially ground breaking. The day I can install Outlook 2013, run Access 2007 , Bullzip, adobe reader and print from any modern Windows compatible printer is the day I will sincerely go round and format our 50+ Windows machines and replace them with ReactOS.

Keep up the good work :D
dizt3mp3r

Re: Suggestion: Task Manager

Post by dizt3mp3r »

You will be able to use any task manager you want eventually. Task manager extended by extensoft (closed-source) was a much improved version for NT5 systems. http://www.extensoft.com/?p=free_task_manager. However, the basic ReactOS TM is likely to remain much the same as the original, perhaps disclosing some extra information regarding memory structures but the basic functionally it is likely to be more or less the same. There is nothing stopping you forking the ReactOS TM and creating your own.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

What about process scheduler? Multilevel feed-back queue performs bad. Linux folks developed many alternate schedulers(priority is a suggestion to scheduler after all, scheduler implementation does not have to be same as long as it has the same API)
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
mrfrisky330

Post by mrfrisky330 »

I like idea that we could use any task manager, something you can't do with Windows. That would fantastic if (without compromising the integrity of the OS or the project) it was almost modular, whereby you could swap the existing "Explorer" for a 3rd party or even self written one.

Imagine if you could replace the 1990's rectangular dialog boxes/forms with something modern, unique with rounded corners or added menu buttons!
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

mrfrisky330 wrote:I like idea that we could use any task manager, something you can't do with Windows. That would fantastic if (without compromising the integrity of the OS or the project) it was almost modular, whereby you could swap the existing "Explorer" for a 3rd party or even self written one.

Imagine if you could replace the 1990's rectangular dialog boxes/forms with something modern, unique with rounded corners or added menu buttons!
You can use any task manager with windows - try my link and see...

On all my Win10 systems I use the windows 7 task manager. On XP I use the task manager listed in my first post.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.