with the goal of getting 3d working in reactos

Here you can discuss ReactOS related topics.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Zombiedeth

Re: with the goal of getting 3d working in reactos

Post by Zombiedeth »

Zombiedeth wrote:Yeah ReactOS currently uses WINE's WineD3D OpenGL to DirectX wrapper. Translating DirectX functions to OpenGL.
MadWolf wrote: do you mean this
Yeah ReactOS currently uses WINE's WineD3D DirectX to OpenGL wrapper. Translating DirectX functions to OpenGL ??
correct
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

MadWolf wrote:thanks for the links imho if you are going to quote something it is better to link to the source
a bit off topic ea origin installer is checking what version of windows it is running on and if it is not running on win 7 and above the installer refuses to run
Well, technically, I didn't quote it. I referenced it. Still, making the reference begs the question, and thus what you suggested still stands. So I agree.

Okay, and as for Origin, yes, the limit is on the reported Windows version, and not directly targeting us. At first glance, it would not see us as different from 2003 Server, and thus would not attempt to dig deeper nor install further. So it isn't prejudice against us in specific, it is just what we stand for. I mean, any Windows 2003 or before OS or kindred spirit will get the same treatment.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Well, if you want my opinion, I think the whole .5.x phase of ReactOS should be all about getting gaming working on ReactOS. Of course, start low with getting Steam, Origin, and battle.net working, then dx9 and OpenGL, then work your way up. I mean, I don't even care about what Win 7, 8.1, and 10 have to offer, other then dx 10, 11, 12 and beyond. Wine does have Vulkan drivers in it, so maybe as a temp solutions you could just use that for Vulkan support?
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

Seems Vulkan is supported on windows xp ;)
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:Well, if you want my opinion, I think the whole .5.x phase of ReactOS should be all about getting gaming working on ReactOS. Of course, start low with getting Steam, Origin, and battle.net working, then dx9 and OpenGL, then work your way up. I mean, I don't even care about what Win 7, 8.1, and 10 have to offer, other then dx 10, 11, 12 and beyond. Wine does have Vulkan drivers in it, so maybe as a temp solutions you could just use that for Vulkan support?
But will Origin install on XP/2003? It seems someone just said that older support was discontinued. But I thought it worked when I was using the Dell box with XP on it. I knew they froze the version that worked for XP. Maybe you can install an older version if you can find it, and it just won't upgrade.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

Zombiedeth wrote:Seems Vulkan is supported on windows xp ;)
Really? Where did you see this? I never knew there were Vulkan drivers for XP.
PurpleGurl wrote:
ROCKNROLLKID wrote:Well, if you want my opinion, I think the whole .5.x phase of ReactOS should be all about getting gaming working on ReactOS. Of course, start low with getting Steam, Origin, and battle.net working, then dx9 and OpenGL, then work your way up. I mean, I don't even care about what Win 7, 8.1, and 10 have to offer, other then dx 10, 11, 12 and beyond. Wine does have Vulkan drivers in it, so maybe as a temp solutions you could just use that for Vulkan support?
But will Origin install on XP/2003? It seems someone just said that older support was discontinued. But I thought it worked when I was using the Dell box with XP on it. I knew they froze the version that worked for XP. Maybe you can install an older version if you can find it, and it just won't upgrade.
Just because it can't run now doesn't mean it will never run at all. I am sure someone will find a way, especially when ReactOS gets more popular then let's say Mac, people would be more willing to get more stuff working on ReactOS. NTFS seems like it would be a lot harder to get working then dx anyways.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
Zombiedeth wrote:Seems Vulkan is supported on windows xp ;)
Really? Where did you see this? I never knew there were Vulkan drivers for XP.
Seems it was planned but never released on xp
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:Just because it can't run now doesn't mean it will never run at all. I am sure someone will find a way, especially when ReactOS gets more popular then let's say Mac, people would be more willing to get more stuff working on ReactOS. NTFS seems like it would be a lot harder to get working then dx anyways.
I think if you can get the older version before they discontinued, it will install, but I don't know.

As far as making it run if it won't on XP/2003, that's dicey. I mean, sure, we'd likely move to the NT-6 family sometime in the future. If that is soon, then we should be able to run it. Outside of that, there might be a way to report NT 6 to just it. However, the problem with including extra APIs (if lying about the version is not enough) is that some applications assume that because they are there and they can find them, it must be a certain Windows version or that related functions are there. Partially supporting a newer Windows version is a good way to confuse applications if they make too many assumptions. At the least, if you include partial support for functions, then entire sets would be needed. I mean, if a function writes something, then you need the one that reads too, and if something opens something, then you need what closes it, etc.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

well if it just relies on windows api's so much of it is already in WINE. think it's just NT 6.x kernel api's that could be a problem if any software relies on that. Version spoofing should be easy on ReactOS though.
PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl »

Zombiedeth wrote:well if it just relies on windows api's so much of it is already in WINE. think it's just NT 6.x kernel api's that could be a problem if any software relies on that. Version spoofing should be easy on ReactOS though.
That is all pretty much what I said.

There is some NT 6.x code in there now, but only to help with Wine syncs. That is still not their version goal. Z98 can explain it better when it comes to halfway implementing APIs for a higher version of WIndows. He says more or less that if you include newer Windows APIs and report an older version, that some applications can get confused. They may look at the exports or crawl the DLLs or whatever and ignore the version, and if certain things are found, other things are assumed to be there. Then the program crashes when the OS cannot deliver.

Hey, I might have a workaround in mind. Okay, so you use the shim database and the appcompat thing and report whatever version. Then when the listed program is active, why not find a way to dynamically expose the required APIs of the ones we have or can emulate to just it or just during that time? Traditionally, that is only done in reverse, where Windows limits itself and reports an older version. But in limited cases, I don't see why forward won't work. But again, in the case of a game loader, what if the APIs and version you expose is good for the loader, but not for what it loads? Like if Origin will run, but TheSims4 or whatever gets confused (it might not, just using a name)? Oh, and if we are doing it by file names and credentials, then each newer program ran by the loader would need to be in the database. If the new loader is running old games, then no problem. But if modern, they might need the same treatment to trick them into running.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

Well if you would need different versions what about a sand box system like WOW64 but instead it would be like WIN7WOW or WIN10WOW ect. This system is already proven to work well for running 32bit programs on a 64bit system. So why not for a full os compatibility. I guess the trick would be the OS would need to know when a program should run in the WOW system.

WOW64 even has it's own kernel ntoskrnl.exe so in theory could you load drivers meant for another version of windows?
In the case of WOW64 you can't because of different bit type but what if that was not an issue like having the same bit type.
ROCKNROLLKID

Post by ROCKNROLLKID »

PurpleGurl wrote:
ROCKNROLLKID wrote:Just because it can't run now doesn't mean it will never run at all. I am sure someone will find a way, especially when ReactOS gets more popular then let's say Mac, people would be more willing to get more stuff working on ReactOS. NTFS seems like it would be a lot harder to get working then dx anyways.
I think if you can get the older version before they discontinued, it will install, but I don't know.
It looks like you can go to your account settings and set it to XP and it will automatically give you the last version that ran XP.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

ROCKNROLLKID wrote:
PurpleGurl wrote:
It looks like you can go to your account settings and set it to XP and it will automatically give you the last version that ran XP.
you can download older version of origin form filehippo http://filehippo.com/download_origin/